Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Tips and Tricks » Keeping cigarettes fresh

Keeping cigarettes fresh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2016, 04:01 PM

mshildegard is on a distinguished road
Default Keeping cigarettes fresh

I buy by the carton, seldom will I buy individual packs. Sometimes I'll have as many as three cartons on hand. I have found that keeping them in the freezer works very well. When I extract a pack from the freezer, I can open it and smoke from it almost immediately. Normally I smoke regulars, but I've had a pack or two of menthols, which I smoke when I'm sick, in the freezer for several months, and upon opening, they're still quite fresh.

Any comments?
Old 05-16-2016, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I don't think it's a good idea to put tobacco in the freezer. Think "freezer burn." I suppose it depends on how long it's kept in the freezer. Back when I was still buying commercial cigarettes (I make my own now), I found that so long as the cellophane wrapping (on the packs and on the carton) remained intact, that they remained fresh for quite a while, probably because of the preservatives used! I think your menthols would have still been fresh a couple months later even had they not been kept in the freezer.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Frozen tobacco isn't a good idea. Of course what you smoke is reconstituted tobacco crispies, so I don't know if it will even freeze.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:41 PM

kelly10 is on a distinguished road
Wink

My cigarette brand, Eve, is not readily available at all stores. So, I buy 3 cartons at a time. I keep my spare cartons in the refrigerator. This old style trick works well for me!
Old 12-14-2016, 09:07 AM
Banned

burge is infamous around these partsburge is infamous around these partsburge is infamous around these parts

I have frozen cigs and whole leaf tobacco I find it is okay. I was in the same situation as you where I could get so may smokes at a time. I think for short period of time it is okay but some it will dry them out if kept in the freezer for too long. The refrigerator is better.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:21 AM

jcmios12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keeping cigarettes fresh

I keep my tobacco and sticks at aprox 70 % humidity. There are a few ways to do so, one is to purchase humidification packs / crystals but I just use salt and water. Place some salt in a shallow container and add water until you have a paste, not watery but a wet paste and place upright in your unrolled tobacco and rolled sticks in a large plastic bag or humidifier, (I use a cigar humidifier). It will keep everything at aprox 70 %^ humidity, which is perfect for smokes.

Jim
Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM

the iron horse will become famous soon enoughthe iron horse will become famous soon enough

I agree that freezing is not good.

I keep my pack of Lucky Strikes in the butter dish in our fridge.

I smoke cigarettes occasionally.

Last edited by the iron horse; 01-08-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:24 PM

Joan1961 will become famous soon enough

We both buy by the carton, and we too use the freezer, and take individual packs out as necessary. Opening the last carton is the indicator - time to go buy cigs!

"I've come a long way, baby"
Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 AM

ecigluvr is an unknown quantity at this point

try randy's Freezable Vaporizer .
Old 04-15-2019, 03:05 PM

Heike will become famous soon enough

I generally keep a new carton and an open carton on hand. The new carton stays in the freezer until I'm ready to open it, then it goes in the pantry. Works very well.