Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community

Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community (https://www.cigreviews.com/forums/)
-   Tips and Tricks (https://www.cigreviews.com/forums/tips-tricks/)
-   -   Keeping cigarettes fresh (https://www.cigreviews.com/forums/tips-tricks/5152-keeping-cigarettes-fresh.html)

mshildegard 05-16-2016 04:01 PM

Keeping cigarettes fresh

I buy by the carton, seldom will I buy individual packs. Sometimes I'll have as many as three cartons on hand. I have found that keeping them in the freezer works very well. When I extract a pack from the freezer, I can open it and smoke from it almost immediately. Normally I smoke regulars, but I've had a pack or two of menthols, which I smoke when I'm sick, in the freezer for several months, and upon opening, they're still quite fresh.

Any comments?

masklofumanto 05-16-2016 04:05 PM

I don't think it's a good idea to put tobacco in the freezer. Think "freezer burn." I suppose it depends on how long it's kept in the freezer. Back when I was still buying commercial cigarettes (I make my own now), I found that so long as the cellophane wrapping (on the packs and on the carton) remained intact, that they remained fresh for quite a while, probably because of the preservatives used! I think your menthols would have still been fresh a couple months later even had they not been kept in the freezer.

ohiophil 05-16-2016 04:34 PM

Frozen tobacco isn't a good idea. Of course what you smoke is reconstituted tobacco crispies, so I don't know if it will even freeze. :)

kelly10 08-21-2016 10:41 PM

My cigarette brand, Eve, is not readily available at all stores. So, I buy 3 cartons at a time. I keep my spare cartons in the refrigerator. This old style trick works well for me!

burge 12-14-2016 09:07 AM

I have frozen cigs and whole leaf tobacco I find it is okay. I was in the same situation as you where I could get so may smokes at a time. I think for short period of time it is okay but some it will dry them out if kept in the freezer for too long. The refrigerator is better.

jcmios12 12-17-2016 12:21 AM

Keeping cigarettes fresh

I keep my tobacco and sticks at aprox 70 % humidity. There are a few ways to do so, one is to purchase humidification packs / crystals but I just use salt and water. Place some salt in a shallow container and add water until you have a paste, not watery but a wet paste and place upright in your unrolled tobacco and rolled sticks in a large plastic bag or humidifier, (I use a cigar humidifier). It will keep everything at aprox 70 %^ humidity, which is perfect for smokes.

Jim

the iron horse 01-08-2017 08:08 PM

I agree that freezing is not good.

I keep my pack of Lucky Strikes in the butter dish in our fridge.

I smoke cigarettes occasionally.

Joan1961 05-30-2018 11:24 PM

We both buy by the carton, and we too use the freezer, and take individual packs out as necessary. Opening the last carton is the indicator - time to go buy cigs!

ecigluvr 04-15-2019 09:20 AM

try randy's Freezable Vaporizer .

Heike 04-15-2019 03:05 PM

I generally keep a new carton and an open carton on hand. The new carton stays in the freezer until I'm ready to open it, then it goes in the pantry. Works very well.