Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Tips and Tricks » Keeping cigarettes fresh

Keeping cigarettes fresh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2019, 10:43 PM

marlbororob89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Although we rarely buy large quantities at once, outside of a couple of cartons a week, I have been told by other smokers that sealable glass jars and containers are good for storing some extra packs, but, haven't had the need to do that yet, but, if there are deals to be had somewhere on cigs, it's something we might consider.

Has anyone else tried this method of storing?
Old 04-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

People have used mason jars for storing loose tobacco. Something similar, or maybe plastic containers with an airtight seal, that's the right size or shape should work for premades too.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:44 AM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

If you think about it commercial cigarettes have already spent a considerable length of time in storage wrapped in only their foil wrappings and sealed in cellophane while sitting in a string of warehouses and storage facilities. I seriously doubt that a few extra weeks at your home is going to make any detectable difference in quality. You are free to do whatever you please though if you believe it matters.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Dave,
Eminently sensible observation. Besides, most commercial cigarettes have preservatives added too.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:46 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
If you think about it commercial cigarettes have already spent a considerable length of time in storage wrapped in only their foil wrappings and sealed in cellophane while sitting in a string of warehouses and storage facilities. I seriously doubt that a few extra weeks at your home is going to make any detectable difference in quality. You are free to do whatever you please though if you believe it matters.
This is a thread about expiration dates on cigarettes. if the date is expired you could return them and the seller then returns them for replacements
I read about this before so I think it is true "in theory". I don't know how often this is actually done.

https://www.cigreviews.com/forums/marlboro-cigarettes/470-marlboro-freshness-stamp-pm-date-code-decode-manufacturers-date.html
Old 04-23-2019, 04:25 PM

Marlboroman39 is an unknown quantity at this point

My trick is to smoke them up before they go stale lol
Old 04-23-2019, 11:46 PM

marlbororob89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DancesWithWerewolves View Post
This is a thread about expiration dates on cigarettes. if the date is expired you could return them and the seller then returns them for replacements
I read about this before so I think it is true "in theory". I don't know how often this is actually done.

https://www.cigreviews.com/forums/marlboro-cigarettes/470-marlboro-freshness-stamp-pm-date-code-decode-manufacturers-date.html
Of all the packs of Marlboro's that I've smoked, I've never run into a problem of stale dates, although, if you accidentally leave a pack in a car and it's well over a 100+ degrees outside and the inside is a few degrees warmer, well, that's a my bad situation and I decided against smoking them.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:08 PM

lambertandbutler is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by marlbororob89 View Post
Of all the packs of Marlboro's that I've smoked, I've never run into a problem of stale dates, although, if you accidentally leave a pack in a car and it's well over a 100+ degrees outside and the inside is a few degrees warmer, well, that's a my bad situation and I decided against smoking them.
I buy cigs daily, every evening after work get 60 and rarely notice cigs going stale, better to have fag breath from a smoke, stale fag or fresh better than no cigs, love it when people notice when not even lit
Old 05-04-2019, 06:44 AM

CrematedPlant is an unknown quantity at this point

I myself need help with keeping cigs fresh. I don't smoke often, I dont consider myself a smoker. I'm more of a person who smokes rarely but really enjoys a cigarette. That being said a pack of cigs can last me months.. yup, what someone goes through a day, I go through 1,2,3.. I can keep a pack of cigs half a year (never achieved this, I don't buy packs often) This being said, I was of luck and found a pack of Dunhill blues and Marlboro Touch (these are disgusting in taste). After doing some research I did the following: I placed both packs on top of each other, both closed lids (because Dunhills have the sealable flap, I kept that close too) And I put them on top of each other in a zip lock bag, I took a small piece of toilet paper wet it and folded it into a small square, placed it inside the zip lock bag in a corner where it had no contact with the box of the cigarettes, then I took a straw and sucked as much air as I could out of the zip lock bag.. now I don't know how efficient or useful this was, or whether the wet piece of paper made any difference, as though both packs were closed. Then I put the zip lock bag inside a jar.... there is no explanation for this step. Now this seems like a science project and I am questioning if I'm paranoid or have mental issues... great
I am not an expert and not a frequent smoker so I'm not sure when the cigs go stale.. I tasted the Dunhills a couple of weeks ago and they were fine... they were a little strong but not harsh, no aftertaste etc. I am a smaller guy so when a cig hits me.. it makes me light headed for a sec, usually it's not a problem, I enjoy in smoking a cig and the smooth taste (unlike the chemical taste of the Marlboros)
Any advice on how to simplify this or make sure that my cigs aren't stale and are fresh.
I don't own a humidifier and don't plan to... maybe if I turn to cigars, but that's an expensive hobby that has me interested, maybe one day.

Great, now I wrote a Bible about keeping cigs fresh, your help is appreciated

p.s. the cigs have been in this creation of mine for let's say a month or so

Last edited by CrematedPlant; 05-04-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CrematedPlant View Post
I took a small piece of toilet paper wet it and folded it into a small square, placed it inside the zip lock bag in a corner where it had no contact with the box of the cigarettes, ... now I don't know whether the wet piece of paper made any difference ...
The moist paper would keep the tobacco hydrated. That's why they remained fresh.