Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Guide to snus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 03:47 AM

Jwalker is on a distinguished road
Wink Guide to snus

Basically snus is a tobacco product that has lower health risks than smoking according to several epidemiological studies in Sweden and is useful because you can use it anywhere and people can't tell your using it. Camel and Marlboro snus is available in many gas stations across the country and is easy to find, Swedish snus mostly General made by Swedish match, but also Thunder made by a company V2 from Denmark has a limited availability in the U.S. and is mostly sold in Cigar shops that sell Swedish Match cigars and have distribution deals with General Cigar Co which SM bought. You can also buy snus online at Buysnus.com, Northerner.com, Getsnus.com (now owned by northerner but cheaper)but because of the Pact act have to have it delivered by UPS and pay state smokeless tobacco taxes on it. Essentially this means it will cost the same or less than dip tobacco like Skoal or Copenhagen for SM products or Grizzly for V2 products and will require you to buy in bulk of around ten cans to make the shipping worth it. I think it should become available in more brick and Mortar stores as a result. It's cheaper than smoking except for maybe filtered cigars or rolling tobacco marked as pipe tobacco mostly because you'll use less portions or grams because the tobacco is more potent.

To use portion snus such as camel, marlboro, general or other brands you put it in your front upper lip as far as it will go and leave it their. Loose snus is like mud and you form it into a tootsie roll shape and put it under your lip. It probably won't be spit less the first time you use it but your body eventually doesn't produce as much salvia when snus is in your lip and even though you salivate sometime if you use snus correctly your saliva doesn't come in contact with the tobacco. I think largely because of air curing the little tobacco juice you do get is way easier to swallow than dip juice. If you place it dead center in your lip then you won't have to spit. This will make your upper lip frenulum or lip string recede if you do it for a long time which isn't a medical problem but worth noting also the only time someone sees your lip string is when they do a dental exam and my dentist didn't mention it. You get moderate gum damage mostly soreness and redness in my case after about three months or twenty five cans of usage. Loose is generally harder on your gums, and you get more damage if you use snus in the same area or use more than the average which is around three or four cans a week. If you switch sides this goes away faster. Two days can seem like forever though. Your gums harden up and sometimes are red especially after some brands of loose. This has always gone away and I have mediocre dental hygiene brushing once a day and not flossing much. Snus doesn't cause mouth cancer but gives you a small risk of pancreatic cancer of 8 in 10,000 from 4 in 10,000 for non tobacco users at least if you have swedish food consumption and alcohol consumption habits which you probably don't. It may give you an increased risk of a stroke or heart attack being fatal by 20 percent although it doesn't increase the risk of it occurring. Smoking has higher risks and Dip tobacco which has lower risks than you'd think gives you some Oral cancer risk but less than smoking and isn't linked to anything else.

I personally began using camel frost snus which I liked a fair amount since it was kind of tiring since it tastes a little like a sweet mint that you get tired off. When I bought my first can of General Original I remember going oh man this tastes bad and having to spit and two hours later when I used it again I remember having lie down for a good two hours waiting for the effects to wear off. Later on I continued using about two or three portions a day at most for months and enjoying the buzz that camel didn't give and making my first online order with a guy at my college and later enjoying extra sterk snus. I didn't smoke cigarettes at the time and later picked it up smoking mostly at parties I don't know why I smoke really. I couldn't smoke on campus so I would chain smoke in town and walk off campus or sneak one. I think it does help people quit since it removes any physical withdrawal symptoms of nicotine and then some but it doesn't take away psychological symptoms. I haven't quit smoking most recently half heartedly going two days without it and one day having no tobacco at all. I mostly use snus at work, or when I'm in movies or inside. Otherwise I'm dipping and do about three cans a week in addition to four or five snus pouches. Sometimes I smoke and I love it it's like the best thing ever, and others I hate it and go why the hell am I doing this. I make my own cigs with Largo pipe tobacco, american spirit perique, and Gambler turkish tube cut, and I'm considering quitting when i run out or maybe get pipe/ryo like prince albert so I don't have to smoke it in cigs but can use it as pipe tobacco. This is my experience, I'm trying to be honest so in the end snus helps cut down on smoking and you won't have to smoke when it's ten or 100 degrees outside but I still smoke around 1-3 a day which takes effort and would rise. Some people prefer snus over cigs the moment they use it and some like it as they stick with it. A lot of swedes said they preferred smoking but didn't want to die which was true since the swedish lung cancer rate started dropping faster than the smoking rate after their surgeon general report in the 60s. I think I'm moderately addicted to tobacco since I don't need it in the morning and I've quit for a while if I need to. Whenever I quit I want a cigarette more than dip or cigs which should say something. I also got to a point where I'd quit for six days and just sat at home reading for days and days about snus and dip which I managed for two days and walked around with a can of stokers and later copenhagen wintergreen I foolishly bought and held for a day before I caved in and used it. I quit a couple of times often unexpectedly and for no reason but since smoking that's less common. Still I would say snus and contrary to many opinions dip is something you just strongly want not like cigs where your body makes you feel you need it. After you crave it for like five minutes you forget about it.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 PM

the iron horse will become famous soon enoughthe iron horse will become famous soon enough

Jwalker, thanks for the information and your personal story.

About twelve years ago, I quit being a pack a day cig smoke. I quit
for over a month and decided if I ever smoked again it would be by choice, not habit. if you can stop doing something for 21 days it will cease being a habit.

Today I only smoke one or two cigarrettes a day and often go days without smoking at all. No problem anymore And it's a lot more fun.

A pack will last me a month or more.

Like you, I have used Camel Frost Snus on ocassion and will continue to explore this use of tabacco.

Again, thanks.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:00 AM

Jwalker is on a distinguished road

Nice perspective I've actually quit using all tobacco for like 2 weeks now so two thrids done sounds good. I quit smoking cigs after deciding to stop and did that for 6 months and then smoked again on a vacation and hit like a pack a day before I managed to find a can of old cope longcut for sale and then gradually quit smoking (you actually can't smoke indoors in central america now enforcement varies bars generally don't care). I thought quitting was altogether was kind of hard but not that bad, main thing is you just get used to situations like drinking(big one), long car rides, movies, class, etc.

I'm quitting mostly because I'm planning to get dental implants and smoking, dip, even patches, gum, whatever mess that up, money's not an issue but It's good to have extra gas and miscellaneous money (beer). That said to each their own I can see why people like to use pretty much every tobacco product.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 PM

the iron horse will become famous soon enoughthe iron horse will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your story also (thus far) Jwalker.

Take care