Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Smokers Rights » Mary Poppins Awards

Mary Poppins Awards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough
Default Mary Poppins Awards

Announcing the winners of the "Mary Poppins Awards," those individuals most responsible for extending nanny "protections" to adults in both U.S. and global society.

We're starting with the year 1984 (just a coincidence that it corresponds to the title of George Orwell's novel "1984," which in some ways has proven prophetic). Readers are invited to submit nominations for the years without an announced winner and, of course, to comment.

So, here's the list:

1984: Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) - responsible for the Minimum Drinking Age Act, raising the minimum age to purchase alcoholic beverages to 21 in all states, tying state compliance to receiving federal funding for roads and bridges.

1986: C. Everett Koop (R-NH), U.S. Surgeon General - issues report on "passive smoking," despite flaws in research (the science is still not settled), which provides justification for subsequent smoking bans.

1987: Two winners! Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) - responsible for first in-flight smoking ban on U.S. domestic flights (flights under 2 hours). Caspar Weinberger (R-CA), U.S. Defense Secretary - banned tobacco use entirely during recruit training (a boneheaded idea when you have a volunteer military. Why create disincentives to enlist?).

1988: Pierre Jeanniot, CEO of Air Canada - Air Canada becomes first carrier to completely ban in-flight smoking on all flights.

1990: Two winners! Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) - responsible for widening of in-flight smoking ban on U.S. domestic flights (flights under 6 hours). Helen Clark, New Zealand Health Minister - responsible for New Zealand's tough Smoke-free Environments Act 1990.

1992: Karel Van Miert, E.U. Health Commissioner - institutes ceilings on cigarette tar yields for all European Union member states, at 15 mg. tar. Later changed to 12 mg. (1998), and 10 mg. tar, 1 mg. nicotine (2001). The 2001 rules, under E.U. Health Commissioner David Byrne, also ban "misleading labeling" such as "Lights" and "Milds."

1993: Thomas Downs, Amtrak CEO - responsible for smoking ban on most Amtrak trains.

1994: Mike Moore (D-MS), Mississippi Attorney General - the first state attorney general to sue tobacco companies, leading to the Master Settlement Agreement of 1998.

1997: President Bill Clinton (D-AR) - bans indoor smoking in all federal buildings.

1998: President Bill Clinton (D-AR) - responsible for forcing all states to raise minimum age for purchase of tobacco products to 18, tying state compliance to receiving federal funding for roads and bridges.

2000: Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) - responsible for total expansion of in-flight smoking ban on all U.S. domestic flights.

2001: Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada - Canada becomes world's first country to mandate graphic warning labels on cigarette packs; effectiveness of graphic imagery is debatable, hence the drive, starting in Australia, towards plain packaging, since graphic images aren't sufficiently effective!

2002: Rodrigo Duterte, then Mayor of Davao City, Philippines - imposes strict smoking ban on all public places in Davao City, restricting and penalizing the act of smoking tobacco products in enclosed public places and public conveyances, whether stationary or in motion, except in certain designated smoking areas. It requires that all public buildings or places that are accessible or open to the public regardless of ownership or right to access must be smoke-free inside and within 33 ft. from entrances and exits or where people pass or congregate, and from air intake ducts.

2003: Steve Chadwick, New Zealand MP - responsible for NZ's Smoke-free Environments Amendment Bill, totally bans smoking in all workplaces including offices, clubs, pubs, restaurants, airports, schools, etc., within a year.

2004: Robert Carr Dynes, Canadian-born President of the University of California - responsible for all of the University of California campuses becoming 100% tobacco free on January 1, 2004, thus initiating the tobacco-free campus movement. As of January 2, 2019 there were at least 2,342 100% smoke-free campuses in the U.S. [comment: this figure is an eye-opener for sure; I hadn't dreamed it had disseminated this widely already!].

2006: Anbumani Ramadoss, Health Minister of India - campaigned to stop film actors from smoking in public, and issued a directive ordering the discontinuation of all Red & White cigarette ads featuring Akshay Kumar (known for his performance of spectacular stunts, and who is in fact a smoker), and to issue "corrective" advertisements of equal size to "neutralize" the effects of the "misleading" ad and pay a fine. The directive was appealed and made its way through the Indian court system all the way to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court set aside the directive and absolved the manufacturer of all liability. Ramadoss was also responsible for India's banning of all cigarette advertising, including print ads.

2007: Belmont City Council, Belmont, CA - passed a law in October 2007, barring smoking anywhere in the city of about 25,000 except in detached homes and yards, streets and some sidewalks, and designated smoking areas outside. Smokers in apartment buildings, all apartment buildings, not just public housing, therefore could not smoke in their own homes.

2008: Model and filmmaker Christy Turlington - anti-smoking activist who created, in 2008, the propagandistic website "Smoking is Ugly."

2009: President Barack Obama (D-IL) - responsible for PACT Act and FDA jurisdiction over tobacco.

2010: We have a three winners! President Barack Obama (D-IL) - signs ACA ("Obamacare") into law. First Lady Michelle Obama (D-IL) - responsible for guidelines on school lunches (intends healthy food for school children, results in school children going hungry because they refuse to eat what's offered -- thanks a lot Marie Antoinette ... uh, I mean Michelle).
King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck of Bhutan - bans the cultivation, harvesting, production, and sale of tobacco and tobacco products in Bhutan, the world's only country to do so.

2011: Michael Bloomberg (I-NY), Mayor of New York City - responsible for New York City's outdoor smoking ban (if I'm not mistaken, the first in the nation).

2012: Two Winners! Michael Bloomberg (I-NY) - responsible for ban on large sugary drinks in NYC; ban struck down by New York courts in 2013. John Roberts, Chief Justice of U.S. Supreme Court - his is the decisive vote upholding constitutionality of "Obamacare."

2013: Jane Halton, Health Secretary of Australia - implements Australia's world-first laws on tobacco plain packaging. No pesky First Amendment in Australia to get in the way of restricting freedom of speech in print!

2014: Bill De Blasio (D-NY), Mayor of New York City - responsible to NYC's raising of minimum age for purchase of tobacco products to 21, denying access to persons of legal majority!

2015: James Kinney (D-PA), Mayor of Philadelphia - responsible for sugary drinks tax in city of Philadelphia.

2016: Bill De Blasio (D-NY), Mayor of New York City - NYC becomes first city in the U.S. to require a sodium warning. The rule applies to restaurants with 15 locations anywhere in the U.S., not just in the city.

2017: Two winners! Gov. David Ige (D-HI) - responsible for Hawaii's raising of minimum age for purchase of tobacco products to 21, the first state government to do so. Rodrigo Duterte, President of the Philippines - responsible for Executive Order No. 26, "Providing for the Establishment of Smoke-Free Environments in Public and Enclosed Places," a nationwide ban on smoking in all public places in the Philippines. The strict ban replicates on a national level an existing ordinance in Davao City that Duterte created as mayor in 2002. The order took effect on July 23, 2017, a mere 60 days after its publication in a newspaper. There have been reports of violators being imprisoned, though the executive order's penalties only specify fines up to ₱10,000 (US$200).

2018: Two winners! Jeff Sessions (R-AL), U.S. Attorney General - revokes Cole Memorandum (the policy that the Justice Dept. would not enforce federal marijuana prohibition in states that had legalized it in some form). Leo Eric Varadkar, Prime Minister of Republic of Ireland - responsible for Ireland's sugar tax.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-14-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

I just added a winner for 2006, Anbumani Ramadoss, Health Minister of India (2004-2009). I also added a second winner for 2017, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (and declared him winner for 2002, while he was mayor of Davao City). See first post for details.

Later: Added Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger as a second winner for 1987, Robert C. Dynes as winner for 2004, and Jane Halton for 2013.

We still need nominees for 1985, 1989, 1991, 1995-1996, 1999, 2005. Nominations don't have to be tobacco related, just "nannyish."

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-13-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:17 PM

Bill is on a distinguished road

I don't have years for these, but they at least an honorable mention.

Former Michigan Governor Grandholm for outlawing smoking inside most buildings. This included bars, motels, bowling alleys, malls, and much more. This action aided Michigan's Lost Decade by closing businesses.

AMTRAK for in the early 2000s for banning smoking in a designated lounge and sleeper cars.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I don't have years for these, but they at least an honorable mention.

Former Michigan Governor Grandholm for outlawing smoking inside most buildings. This included bars, motels, bowling alleys, malls, and much more. This action aided Michigan's Lost Decade by closing businesses.

AMTRAK for in the early 2000s for banning smoking in a designated lounge and sleeper cars.
Thanks for the info. I'll do a little searching around the internet a little later to get the years in question and, in the case of AMTRAK, the individual responsible for the decision.

The "King" of the nannies is unquestionably "four time winner" Sen. Frank Lautenberg.

One surprise I found was California Gov. Jerry Brown - he actually vetoed a 2016 bill that would've made the entire California State University system's campuses 100% tobacco-free. After his veto, CSU's Chancellor issued an executive order in April 2017 making all campuses of CSU 100% tobacco-free. You just can't win, it seems! But at least Gov. Brown deserves some credit for resisting the nanny march in this case. On the other hand, he signed into law California's raising of the minimum age for purchasing tobacco to 21. But then he vetoed a ski helmet law. So, he's a nanny only some of time, I suppose.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-14-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

I looked up the Michigan law. It was 2009. We could make her a second winner for that year. The law is rather extreme, but is it a "first state in the nation" for that degree of extremity?

It looks like there was an AMTRAK ban in 1993, which banned smoking on most (but not all) trains, and then another one in 2013 (that's the one that made AMTRAK a 100% smoke-free rail system). Just added Thomas Downs, Amtrak CEO, as winner for 1993.

Jean Chrétien, Canadian Prime Minister, added as winner for 2001; Bill De Blasio, NYC Mayor, added as winner for 2016; and E.U. Health Commissioner Karel Van Miert added as winner for 1992.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-02-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:38 PM

Heike is on a distinguished road

My nominee for 1995 is Christy Turlington. I'm really happy for her that she was able to quit smoking at 26, after starting when she was 13, and I'm sorry that she was diagnosed with early stage emphysema five years later, and I'm sorry that she lost her father to lung cancer. Well, I lost my mother to small-cell lung cancer, and my father to emphysema. And, I'm well aware of the risks of cigarette smoking, and I accept those risks. Frankly, I enjoy being a smoker! And I don't need Ms. Turlington to tell me, "I quit, therefore, you should quit too".
Old 03-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

I looked up Turlington. Your info. is correct, except I didn't find anything specific to the year 1995. How militant is she? Can you elaborate?

This early stage emphysema sounds very unusual -- she smoked for only 13 years, and then emphysema is detected five years after quitting, and at a young age???
Old 03-13-2019, 07:18 AM

Heike is on a distinguished road

1995 is the year she quit smoking. Which I respect, I can only imagine how hard it is to quit. But we don't need anymore anti-smoking activists, which she is. She made the former website, Smoking Is Ugly, https://web.archive.org/web/20110716095258/http://www.smokingisugly.com/main.html
Old 03-13-2019, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Heike,
When I read about her on Wikipedia, I was prepared to give her a "pass" in what is intentionally a sarcastic thread. Frankly, I felt sympathy for her and thought her reaction against smoking to be understandable. However, encouraging people to quit is one thing, but creating a website with that title crosses the line into what the anti-smoking fanatics call "denormalization," or what anyone else would call "marginalization." It appears that the website dates from 2008, so we can give her the award for 2008.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-13-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:24 AM

Bill is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
Heike,...
...but creating a website with that title crosses the line into what the anti-smoking fanatics call "denormalization," or what anyone else would call "marginalization."
The bad news is "denormalization" and "marginalization" and worse are being used to in politics to describe anyone that doesn't 100% agree with you. I can only conclude that bi-partisanship is severely endangered! It seems the destruction of the smoke filled back rooms has destroyed the habitat of compromise.