Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Smokers Rights » Article: "Secondhand Smoke isn't as Bad as We Thought"

Article: "Secondhand Smoke isn't as Bad as We Thought"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 02:08 AM

risingbull84 is on a distinguished road
Default Article: "Secondhand Smoke isn't as Bad as We Thought"

I just came across an article online and am interested to hear opinions. For the most part it claims that negative health effects from secondhand smoke are basically unfounded (virtually non-existent). Meanwhile anti-smoking legislation (of course cigarette taxes, public smoking bans [including banning smoking in places of employment, your own private vehicle, and, in some cases, even your own home!]...etc.) are increasingly becoming outlandishly restrictive, unreasonable, and intrusive. As a lot of us know, not only are these laws being applied to smoking, they are now being extended to vaping as well (i.e., on the basis of very little, if nothing at all). At the same time it's progressively becoming more acceptable for non-smoking NAZI fascists to marginalize, criticize, and scrutinize those of us who chose to smoke (or vape). Violent responses from idiots are also on the rise (a few years back I remember reading about how this jerk beat up an old lady for just standing on the sidewalk or something and smoking a cigarette. If I remember right the old lady turned out to be a local judge, and at least in this case the guy had Hell to pay [haha!] but I can imagine this type of attitude getting out of hand fast).
Anyway, so I found this article very interesting and would like to know what you all think. Any comments?

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2017/02/secondhand_smoke_isn_t_as_bad_as_we_thought.html
Old 03-14-2018, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for posting the linking to this article.

Unfortunately, we live in a time that if you repeat a lie often enough, people will assume it's the truth, regardless of evidence to the contrary.

This line is particularly telling: "If the size and certainty of alleged health risks are irrelevant, then of course the case for smoking bans is easy to make: Most nonsmokers find smoking inconvenient and have little regard for the smoking minority’s preferences."

But nonsmokers should beware: stripping away people's liberties won't just stop at smoking.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:13 PM

Heike is on a distinguished road

I am convinced that the risks of secondhand smoke exist, but are highly exaggerated. I also believe that living in a house full of secondhand smoke helped me get hooked that much more quickly once I decided to start smoking my own.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:01 PM

George1 is on a distinguished road
Default Second Hand Smoke

Originally Posted by Heike View Post
I am convinced that the risks of secondhand smoke exist, but are highly exaggerated. I also believe that living in a house full of secondhand smoke helped me get hooked that much more quickly once I decided to start smoking my own.
I agree that second hand smoke is probably not anywhere near as harmful as the hype would have you believe. However, second hand smoke can really bother the non smoker. We need to keep this in mind. A smoke filled room doesn’t bother me at all. As a matter of fact, it often sparks the urge for me to light up a cigarette. I would rather see the non smokers take up the habit rather than bug us smokers about second hand smoke. Everyone should try smoking at least once. The world needs fewer antis and more smokers.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 AM

Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks all for the replies!
Any other opinions about this? Please read article and share.
In the meantime I'm going to try to find other, similar research work to post.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:20 AM

Bill is on a distinguished road

For some people that are sensitive to smoke, it is a real problem.

I also remember when smoking was everywhere. Very few seemed to be bothered. Has our modern life style made people more sensitive? Something has changed. The real questions are what and why?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bill View Post
For some people that are sensitive to smoke, it is a real problem.

I also remember when smoking was everywhere. Very few seemed to be bothered. Has our modern life style made people more sensitive? Something has changed. The real questions are what and why?
Wow, Bill, that's actually really interesting! I wonder what that means?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:26 AM

Kathy G is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Heike View Post
And was that a problem Heike? HAHAHA
Old 04-18-2019, 10:06 AM

George1 is on a distinguished road
Default Children

People used to smoke around kids all the time. It was also given assumption that many kids would become smokers by the time they reached high school. This was considered normal and natural before PC culture took root.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:24 AM

Redz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by risingbull84 View Post
Thanks all for the replies!
Any other opinions about this? Please read article and share.
In the meantime I'm going to try to find other, similar research work to post.
The risks of first-hand smoking are greatly exaggerated too: the propaganda is based on poorly designed studies, and well-designed ones show little or no ill effects of smoking. To this day there are knowledgeable people who have studied the question and concluded that smoking does not cause lung cancer, but the anti-smoking industry does not want you to know. For instance

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ray/TSSOASb.html