Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Smokers Rights » Urgent - New Proposed Tax on Pipe Tobacco

Urgent - New Proposed Tax on Pipe Tobacco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Devon Andrews is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Urgent - New Proposed Tax on Pipe Tobacco

We just found out about a proposed 775% tax increase on pipe tobacco!

A new bill would raise the tax on pipe tobacco from $2.8311 to $24.78 per pound!

We have made it easy for you to take action. We have a free automated service that will email your Congressman and Senator.

We've already written the letter for you. You can write your own comments too if you like.

Perhaps you can pass this on to all of your smoking friends.

The link is here:
[url=http://www.rallycongress.com/stop-the-pipe-tobacco-tax/2826/stop-pipe-tobacco-tax/]Stop the Pipe Tobacco Tax | Stop the Pipe Tobacco Tax |[/url]
Old 01-25-2010, 10:47 PM

wbb86 is on a distinguished road

SIGNED. This is horrible
Old 02-27-2010, 05:43 AM

Devon Andrews is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Reply from Senator George LeMieux of Florida (R)

It would be nice if I could get a response like this concerning the Pact Act:

Dear Mr. Andrews:

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the tax increase on pipe tobacco. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to respond to your concerns.

As you know, Representative Steve Cohen (D-TN-9) introduced H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010. This legislation would amend the Internal Revenue code to impose the same rate of tax on pipe tobacco as is already imposed on roll-your-own tobacco products. The tax increase would go from $2.83 to $24.78.

Florida is home to many small business owners who specialize in pipe tobacco. As a supporter of lowering taxes, I believe that raising taxes in this economic climate will harm efforts to promote job creation, economic growth, and potential growth of Florida’s small businesses. Currently, this bill has been referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means. Should this measure come before the Senate for consideration, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

It is an honor and privilege to serve the people of the great State of Florida in the United States Senate. I take great pride in being a native Floridian, and I look forward to the tremendous opportunity to better the lives of all Floridians. I assure you I will work hard to represent our state to the best of my ability in the U.S. Senate. If I can be of any help to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Very truly yours,

George S. LeMieux
United States Senator
Old 11-15-2010, 03:38 PM

Arnie is on a distinguished road

Make no mistake...the bill was from a congresscritter in a tobacco growing state who was recently re-elected.

WHY THE BILL???

You'd think that such a person would be protective of their industry by resisting taxation.

Well, guess what? He is merely a Democrat errand boy for BIG TOBACCO who is the true author of the legislation. Big tobacco was hit hard by the lawsuits and the recent increase in taxes and they want the RYO/MYO community to be taxed to such a level that you will once again buy their manufactured smokes. Hence the "parity" bill.