Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Smokers Rights » Job Discrimination Against Smokers

Job Discrimination Against Smokers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 02:09 AM

Carol8 is on a distinguished road
Default Job Discrimination Against Smokers

A study in anti-smoker-infested San Francisco shows that smokers are less likely to be hired and make less money if they are. The study population looks like a pretty hard-luck group. Of the job seekers, "Just under a third (31.1%) had college degrees, 39.4% were unstably housed, 27.9% lacked reliable transportation, 20.7% had a criminal history, and 28.7% had received prior treatment for alcohol or drug abuse."

"A year after enrollment, 55.6% of nonsmokers were reemployed, compared with 26.6% of the smokers (adjusted risk difference, 0.20; 95% CI 0.15-0.42)."

And instead of protecting us against discrimination, the scumbags want to use it as another club to beat smokers over the head with.

Smoking May Be Hazardous to Job Prospects
by Salynn Boyles
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pulmonology/Smoking/57297

Prochaska JJ, et al "Likelihood of unemployed smokers vs nonsmokers attaining reemployment in a one-year observational study" JAMA Intern Med 2016; DOI: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.0772.
http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2513450
Old 02-04-2019, 10:26 PM

NotGonnaStop is an unknown quantity at this point

Can they back up any of their figures with any solid evidence? 9 times out of 10 they do not have any. I was on a website and a woman posted an incident she had witnessed while a federal employee gathering statistics. She and another female were compiling deaths from smoking statistics, and they came across an account of a man who had died in a car accident who also happend to be a smoker; they listed his death as smoking related. They lie constantly trying to make people bend to their control. That is all this is; a power and control battle.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:20 PM

Bill is on a distinguished road

In my area there is a hospital and 2 year college that will not hire a smoker no matter how qualified.

How is this any different than a century ago, "Irish need not apply"?

Or the Jim Crowe south with not hiring blacks?

Something to think about!
Old 02-09-2019, 11:12 AM

VeraKav is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job discrimination against smokers

It is interesting how discriminatory practices can be applied to certain groups and it is overlooked by Society. Two groups IMO subject to this non subtle experience now are smokers and people overweight. The justification being some combination of :
1) Its for your own good
2) If only You would change your behavior
Ronnie
Old 02-18-2019, 06:30 PM

Isn't that the truth? The behavior of non-smokers is really what gets me; there's this haughty attitude of "If you would only change your behavior (as you pointed out), I would consider you acceptable". I would not associate with most of the people where I live if I didn't smoke! I have adopted the attitude that the smoke is welcome near me, people aren't.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:32 PM

Just a repeat of history; you would think the lessons learned from Prohibition would serve as a reminder, but society is so dumbed down these days. . .
Old 05-09-2019, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bill View Post
In my area there is a hospital and 2 year college that will not hire a smoker no matter how qualified.

How is this any different than a century ago, "Irish need not apply"?

Or the Jim Crowe south with not hiring blacks?

Something to think about!
History always repeats itself