Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > Smokers Rights » Remember when you could smoke on airplanes?

Remember when you could smoke on airplanes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2019, 05:15 AM

bwb2388 is an unknown quantity at this point

Back in the 80's I stole an ashtray off a AA jet flying back to Dallas. Memories of better times. Now it seems you have cities where your fined for smoking on the sidewalk but it's perfectly okay to take a dump.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:54 AM

Number 7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember when you could smoke anywhere (stores, shops, restaurants, anywhere and everywhere), and I'm glad to see such antiquated freedoms quashed.

No non-smoker should have to smell cigarette smoke odour on brand new clothing right out of a store, just as no non-smoker should have to run an obstacle course of spent cigarette butts littering the isles of grocery stores.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:45 PM

George1 will become famous soon enough
Default Church

I grew up in the the sixties. At that time, the only place that people didnít smoke was in church.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:48 PM

Wayne2045 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by George1 View Post
I grew up in the the sixties. At that time, the only place that people didnít smoke was in church.
Church and fire hazard areas
Old 11-30-2019, 09:33 PM

George1 will become famous soon enough
Default Golden Age

Originally Posted by Wayne2045 View Post
Church and fire hazard areas
Nonetheless, prior to the 1970ís, we lived in the Golden Age of Smoking. Smoking was seen as something glamorous in the old movies.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:34 PM

Heike will become famous soon enough

I started with Lufthansa in 1973 as a travel agent, then was a flight attendant from 1978 until 2015, when I retired. From 1978 to 1998, everything was great, only domestic flights were non-smoking, but the international routes that I normally flew still allowed smoking. This changed in March 1998, and since almost all of us were smokers, this hit us like a brick wall! They promised us to work with aircraft manufacturers to make "smoking rooms" where smokers could enjoy, without disturbing non-smokers. This never happen. What did happen was, smoking cessation programs were offered, for free! Our attitude was, if we wanted to quit smoking, we would, and if we needed help, we'd ask for it.

As flight attendants, we were "strongly expected" to wear 3 to 4 inch heels in terminals, as well as aircraft ground operations. We were "allowed" to slip into flats for the long flight. Most of us agreed, if we could get smoking in-flight back, but lose the flats, we'd rather do just that.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:11 AM

AnielaLaska is on a distinguished road

Sounds as if I was born too late ;-( Must have been amazing to smoke on a plane! For me, flying is always pain in the ass. Had a 3 hours vacation flight this summer and as there were no smoking sections at the gates, it's been more than 4 hours without smoking for me. I've been really crotchety after a while..!
My boyfriends wants us to fly to the Carribbean in february which would be amazing. But the flight will be horrible... guess I get myself patches.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by AnielaLaska View Post
My boyfriends wants us to fly to the Carribbean in february which would be amazing. But the flight will be horrible... guess I get myself patches.
If you haven't made specific plans, I'd suggest going to the Dominican Republic. Spectacular beaches, luxurious resorts (most are "all-inclusive"), developed infrastructure, and inexpensive.

Btw, February is a good time of year to visit. May through October is the rainy season.

Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic

Last edited by masklofumanto; 12-12-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:23 AM

AnielaLaska is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
If you haven't made specific plans, I'd suggest going to the Dominican Republic. Spectacular beaches, luxurious resorts (most are "all-inclusive"), developed infrastructure, and inexpensive.

Btw, February is a good time of year to visit. May through October is the rainy season.

Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Thank you, this looks really nice! I don't know if my boyfriend has made plans yet, just know we're flying to the Caribbean in February. He cares about everything else.