Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bottom of the Bag Blues?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2020, 08:41 PM

Superlungs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bottom of the Bag Blues?

I'm at the bottom of a 6 oz. bag of Gambler Regular and it tastes like burning tires! It's not stale. Injects fine. About a month into RYO and I miss my Marbs. Does all tobacco taste like s- - - when it gets to the bottom of the bag?
Old 01-23-2020, 08:59 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Superlungs View Post
......... Does all tobacco taste like s- - - when it gets to the bottom of the bag?
never experienced that. I did have an issue with the value blends with all their casings, flavorings etc that after 4- 6 weeks of smoking them they'd leave a hellacious nasty aftertaste in my mouth. Not everyone experienced it with the blends i was smoking, so it's not something that everybody notices. And even if i laid off that brand for 3 months, once i'd had that aftertaste, it wouldn't take long for it to return - maybe half way into a bag.

I don't know where Gambler fits into the ranking, ie value blend, quality blend etc - but you might try moving to a D&R tobacco, especially in the virginia tobaccos, there'll be very little to no casings. Gawith & Hoggarth's Kendal Gold is top of the line and absolutely no casings, flavoring etc but everybody seems to be out of stock right now.

One of the reasons i went to shredding whole leaf, i know what's not on the leaf or in the tobacco.

Last edited by larryccf; 01-23-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I believe Gambler is a "value brand."

Of the brands I've tried, the closest one to the taste of Marlboro Red IMO was Cherokee Red. I know Larry hated it, thought it tasted like burning rubber, but that wasn't my experience. However, it had loads of stems to pick out; in other words, it's cheap for a reason. I think you'll like D&R Three Sails -- probably the best tasting tobacco I've tried, but regrettably after a while it becomes too hard on my throat and I can't smoke it regularly anymore. That doesn't mean that you'll have the same experience, so I'd advise you to give it a try.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:22 PM

Thanks gentlemen. I just bought a pack of Marbs ($12 NYS) to see exactly what I've been "depriving" myself of and the fact is they taste as crappy as what I have been "rolling". It was all in my mind. Now THAT is $12 well spent. The question is no longer "what tobacco tastes like Marbs" but why keep smoking at all? I urge anyone to Google "why do my cigarettes all of a sudden taste like s---"? Yes, there are many hits on this question and some of them you may find alarming. Maybe I just need a break, I don't feel like a cold is coming on or anything.....

Seriously - https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS794US797&q=sudden+distaste+ for+cigarettes&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiujZSkjpvnAhWCTN8KH TRTDaoQ1QIoBXoECAsQBg
Old 01-24-2020, 01:06 PM

Tried my own link and it didn't work, sorry. Well, I got up this morning and cigs tasted better. Must've been a fleeting (hopefully temporary and rare) phenomenon.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Confronting the horror of thinking about quitting smoking was all you needed for your cigs to start tasting better.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:22 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

Smoking too many cigarettes will make them seem nasty. Whenever I am nearly out I tend to smoke more. The bottom of the bag is usually dehydrated because the bag had been opened so many times also. Once the tobacco is dehydrated it starts to crumble thus it gets stale quicker.