Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Has anyone else noticed that their smokes seem better the next day?

Has anyone else noticed that their smokes seem better the next day?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 05:54 PM

AKinser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone else noticed that their smokes seem better the next day?

Howdy guys (and girls):

First a little background about me. I probably should make an introduction thread somewhere but to me that always seems so tedious I'd much rather just jump into posting on a forum. Anyway, I have smoked since I was 12 or 13 and am 40 now. Around age 16 I began smoking pipes exclusively favoring English and Virginia blends. However, a few years ago I quit smoking and took to vaping for a while. Needless to say I had a rough day at work and bummed a cigarette off of a smoker at work and since moved back to smoking.

I went to RYO mostly because besides for Camel Crush Menthol (and Camels in general--which isn't all that surprising as originally when I did smoke cigarettes instead of a pipe I preferred Camels) factory made cigarettes mostly taste to me like ass.

I'm unsure what has changed since 2013ish in cigarettes but I don't particularly like it. My thinking is with Camels the Turkish tobaccos are covering up the taste or maybe they use less reconstituted tobacco as opposed to other brands. I'm not sure but they're doing something different.

At any rate I've been trying out various tobaccos (menthol and non-menthol) and have noticed with some of them that it seems that after I roll them and allow them to hang out in my Tupperware "humidor" for a day sometimes two they taste better than when they are freshly rolled. This seems to me most pronounced with Peter Stokkeby Turkish Export and Golden Harvest Menthol (which reminds me of Benson & Hedges Menthol for some reason).

Is this in my head? Have others experienced this?

If it helps I've been using Zen menthol King tubes and Golden Harvest Red Kings (though I'm also trying other kinds of tubes).
Old 01-10-2020, 08:25 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

it's possible that when you first roll the cigs the tobacco is less than optimal moisture level or even dry. After a day in your "Tupperware "humidor" for a day sometimes two", you are re-hydrating them.

I roll smokes for the wife and her sister, and roll a tub of 120+ sticks and when i first close the tub up, the tobacco has dried enough to make them borderline "hot" & dry to smoke, so i put a small pc of celery in with them. As they're smoking out of one tub while i load the 2nd tub, it's a few days before they get around to smoking the next tub, the smokes have had a chance to re-hydrate - makes for a much more pleasant smoke.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:17 PM

That could be a possibility. I'm unsure about putting food products with my smokes though. I do have a few hydration disks laying around though.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:37 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

when you said "humidor" i assumed you were using some sort of hydration device

If you're not, my theory is worthless.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:15 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

Iíve got a theory too and mine is that I have better results stuffing at a slightly higher moisture level than that best for smoking then allowing the sticks to dry down for a day or so. So either drying down or picking up a bit of moisture both result in the tobacco moisture stabilizing for a better smoke.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
when you said "humidor" i assumed you were using some sort of hydration device

If you're not, my theory is worthless.
I'm not using any hydration device currently. Though, right now I'm not running heat or air and Florida has a tendency to be fairly humid...so the theory might not be worthless.

I may have also used the word humidor inappropriately. I've often used that word to describe any tobacco storage device other than a pipe tobacco pouch or cigarette case. The difference being that one can have their tobacco pouch or cigarette case on their person whereas their humidor would most likely not be on their person (unless they are actually carrying or holding it).

Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
Iíve got a theory too and mine is that I have better results stuffing at a slightly higher moisture level than that best for smoking then allowing the sticks to dry down for a day or so. So either drying down or picking up a bit of moisture both result in the tobacco moisture stabilizing for a better smoke.
I have not tried manipulating the moisture content of dual use pipe tobacco.

Would misting with distilled water be the usual method?
Old 01-12-2020, 09:51 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AKinser View Post

I have not tried manipulating the moisture content of dual use pipe tobacco.

Would misting with distilled water be the usual method?
I figure that since the tobacco plants just pull whatever waterís available from the ground and do quite well then Iíd go one better and treat the leaves to some nice cool tap water. Seems to work fine but Iím sure someone will disagree. Let them.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:25 PM

As DaveM indicated, i've used tap water almost since the time Lincoln wore shorts. But i do add a little vodka (generally 5% or a tablespoon to 8 oz of room temp tap water. Distilled water might give some folks a "warm & fuzzy" feeling of satisfaction, but you're talking about eliminating trace amounts of magnesium, calcium etc from the water and i don't know those don't add to the flavor. I really doubt anyone can taste the difference between tobacco rehydrated with tap water or distilled water.

two reasons for the vodka, a) alcohol attracts or holds moisture, and b) offers some sterilizing of any mold spores that may have settled on the shredded tobacco from the room air. I use Vodka as even the cheapest vodka is purer than the most expensive Gin. I've only found mold in a few bags of factory processed tobacco (Gawith & Hoggarth Kendal Gold) which is a premier high end tobacco processor, but it was nasty - white hairs that had a greasy feel to them growing on the shredded tobacco. Since using my vodka/tap water mix, in the years i've been shredding my own tobacco, i have not found any mold on my shredded tobacco, and some of it has aged 2+ years, sealed in heavy duty tupperware tubs.

There are other compounds (iirc, they're called humectants) to help mitigate the movement of moisture in or out of a substrate. PG (propylene glycol) is real popular with the tobacco processors, and fairly safe (it's used in everything from bread to cosmetics) but while it lasts longer, it leaves a chemical sweet taste that i can detect and just don't like

fwiw

Last edited by larryccf; 01-13-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:01 PM

The difference between distilled and tap might be negligible. If I feel inclined I might try both. I would probably use either vodka or white liquor (aka Moonshine) as well when rehydrating for the same reason. Gin has botanical additives to it that imparts its taste. Mostly juniper berries but some others (depends on brand and gin type).

As for polypropylene glycol I do have some of that--from my vaping days (I mixed my own juices)--but I too feel that it might impart a sweet flavor I might not care for. I know that PG is used extensively in the production of aromatic pipe tobaccos and I never really cared for those when I was a pipe smoker preferring Virginia, English and Naturals over aromatics. Aromatic pipe tobaccos are also commonly flavored. To me aromatics always seemed to burn much hotter than Virginia ever did.

Considering that I usually smoke menthol it may seem strange that I've long considered heavy flavorings an attempt to disguise inferior leaf. I don't really consider menthol to be a flavoring though. More of an amendment really. No amount of menthol can disguise poor quality leaf.

Too bad McClelland's Arcadia is no longer in production. I bet that would make a fine smoke in tube as well as pipe. Would likely have to dry that one just a wee bit though--it was pretty dry to start with. Apparently they were attempting to recreate mixtures from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes series and he rather abused his pipe tobacco. But cigarette tobaccos tend to be much dryer than most pipe tobaccos.

Interestingly I did some math as to cost for my absolute favorite smoke (Peter Stokkeby's Turkish Export--in Golden Harvest red tube) to run me about 57 cents per cigarette. Mrs. Kinser (a life long non-smoker) said that was a crazy price when tailor made Camels run around 35 cents per cigarette. I told her the tobacco is superior though.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:25 PM

Larry uses vodka, I prefer scotch. A good single-malt. The difference being that I drink the scotch. Let the tobacco find its own booze!