Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Cigarettes Burning Out Too Soon

Cigarettes Burning Out Too Soon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2020, 10:12 PM

NoComment is on a distinguished road
Default Cigarettes Burning Out Too Soon

Hi everyone. I'm having some trouble with my RYO cigarette technique and I'm wondering whether someone can give me some pointers.

I'm currently using American Spirit Original tobacco with Elements extra thin rice paper and a cheap Elements hand roller. It seems like no matter what I do, I cant roll a cigarette that doesn't quickly extinguish itself. I know that good tobacco will extinguish itself after a little bit unlike prepackaged Big Tobacco cigs, but the cigarettes I'm rolling barely stay lit in between draws. I can't leave the cigarettes I roll alone for more than ten or twenty seconds, otherwise they go out, which makes having a conversation while smoking nearly impossible if I don't want to relight six or seven times.

I've tried using different amounts of tobacco- super lightly packed rolls that feel like sucking air, extremely tightly packed ones that feel like drinking a malt milkshake, and everything in between. I've tried using two or three layers of paper, hoping that more combustible material would help keep the cigarette going. When I first used the tobacco, it seemed pretty dry and crunchy (who knows how long it had been sitting on the shelf before I bought it), so I put a small damp piece of cloth in the bag to humidify it.

None of this has had any effect- the cigarettes still extinguish themselves after less than half a minute.

It's definitely not an issue of "dropped cherries," since the problem persists whether I flick the ashes or not.

What am I still doing wrong, then? There are obviously thousands of variables I could play with here; I'm just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. Any advice is appreciated!

Forgive me if this question has already been asked somewhere else- I've been trying to google the problem, but no matter how I word my search, the only hits I get are websites trying to convince me that I shouldn't smoke.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:43 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

dollars to donuts your tobacco is too moist

try spreading some of the tobacco out on the table a bit, enough for a cigarette and letting it dry out some, then try rolling it and seeing how it does

Last edited by larryccf; 01-05-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:29 AM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

It could be the ultra-slow burning rice paper. The semi transparent rice papers like Zig Zags are better suited for marijuana than tobacco. As far as cheap cigarette papers go, never buy Rollit brand. They taste like dirty sawdust and rip to pieces. Top brand papers are what I use but I have not experimented much. Works for me and they are relatively cheap. I cannot recommend Top tobacco or any other product made by Republic. Republic aquired Top brand from R.J Reynolds in 1987. I can recommend the papers. Maybe they will work in your Elements handroller IDK. I don't use a roller. To me it is just an unwanted step.

Last edited by DancesWithWerewolves; 01-06-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:26 PM

NoComment is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
dollars to donuts your tobacco is too moist

try spreading some of the tobacco out on the table a bit, enough for a cigarette and letting it dry out some, then try rolling it and seeing how it does
Seems simple enough. I'll give this a try tonight

Originally Posted by DancesWithWerewolves View Post
It could be the ultra-slow burning rice paper. The semi transparent rice papers like Zig Zags are better suited for marijuana than tobacco. As far as cheap cigarette papers go, never buy Rollit brand. They taste like dirty sawdust and rip to pieces. Top brand papers are what I use but I have not experimented much. Works for me and they are relatively cheap. I cannot recommend Top tobacco or any other product made by Republic. Republic aquired Top brand from R.J Reynolds in 1987. I can recommend the papers. Maybe they will work in your Elements handroller IDK. I don't use a roller. To me it is just an unwanted step.
Ok, I figured the paper might have something to do with it. The Elements papers just don't seem like they can hold a flame. Cigarette papers are cheap anyway so I might as well buy a few packets and experiment. I'll look for Top paper at my local tobacco store