Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Putting Tobacco in the Freezer

Putting Tobacco in the Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2019, 05:24 PM

chris2019 is on a distinguished road
Default Putting Tobacco in the Freezer

If you put a new bag of tobacco in the freezer to prevent the birth of tobacco beetles, how long should you keep the tobacco in the freezer? And will freezing the tobacco harm it in any way?
Old 11-26-2019, 06:04 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

it used to be the internet wisdom said 2-3 days, but that didn't work for me - from time to time i'd still get some surviving and flying around my desk

I now put a few bags in the freezer and leave them there until i need a bag, and when i pull one bag out, i replace it with another. Generally they're in there 7-10 days.

It wasn't till i had a bad infestation with the little buggers that i started doing that
Old 11-26-2019, 06:43 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

Most references give a maximum incubation period of 10 days but one cites a 14 day period. I dont know the reliability of that last source but if it were me Id rather freeze for too long than not long enough meaning Id probably go for 20 days just to be sure.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:09 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

This thread will probably not gain more RYO smokers. Predator bugs might eat the beetles but the food chain brings in reptiles and such eventually. The beetles might not like freezer burnt tobacco as much.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:51 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

actually it's the cold weather that kills the tobacco beatles larvae - if we have a mild winter, that's when you're more likely to find the beetles in processed tobacco.

BTW - when i was doing research on starting my own tobacco website, i found there is a fumigant or pesticide they use on tobacco for those very beetles but it doesn't kill all of them. They use a dedicated warehouse that once the tobacco is stacked inside, it's fumigated and left un-opened for 21 days - the pesticide has a lifespan of 21 days before it breaks down. But that was one of the reasons i became more attracted to whole leaf - no pesticide fumigation

I'll agree with DaveM on longer storage in the freezer can't hurt but too long, ie 3 months or more, you'll find the tobacco dry as toast.