Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » maintaining moisture level in stored tobacco

maintaining moisture level in stored tobacco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2019, 09:53 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all
Default maintaining moisture level in stored tobacco

Well, i'm on the road heading west to visit family, wife unit is driving and thought i'd post a tip about keeping tobacco at the proper moisture level for smoking.

There are a lot of products out there, like the Bovada packets but something that's simpler and much cheaper, and readily available - table salt.

A lot of the humidity meters recommend using salt to calibrate the meter before you put the meter into use. Basically table salt will maintain a 75% humidity level on it's own. If humidity level in the atmosphere in the container you've placed it exceeds 75%, it will draw moisture out of the air, if moisture level is less than 75%, the salt will release moisture into the air or atmosphere.

Basically i just take a jar lid, using it as a dish, pour in some salt to give me about a 1/4" deep layer, and wet it to the point that the salt is just shy of being "shiny" wet, ie no ponding of water visible.

I have a 48 qt cooler in my "tobacco room" that i put bags of shredded tobacco in, and a couple of large jar lids with salt placed on top of boxes so they're elevated above the tobacco bags. THen i wrap the seam where the cooler lid meets the cooler body with saran wrap to seal it. That cooler is for long term storage.

Just a suggestion, figured it might help some

Last edited by larryccf; 11-22-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:36 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

Good info Larry. Salt is the working component of the Boveda pack along with a food grade thickener and water of course.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:55 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

thanks

i forgot to mention, for the smaller tupperware containers i use for tobacco, i bought a bunch of small 1 oz bottles off amazon like these
https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Vials-Dram-Pack-12/dp/B002JV89OC/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=small+glass+vials&qid=1574483 946&sr=8-10

they're not very big, about 2+ inches in length and maybe 3/4" in diameter and definitely cheap enough - i drilled the cap with a bunch of small 1/16" diameter holes, fill them about 3/4s full of salt, wet them and use them in the tupperware containers - in the larger 2.5 gallon tupperware tubs i'll use 3 of them. They seem to serve better than the Bovada packets and definitely cheaper. Only drawback is you're limited to 75% moisture level.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:21 AM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

I have a small jar with a bottlecap of salt and a compass sized hygrometer in it right now. I dont trust the hygrometer but it does read 75 again. I'm not sure those things are very accurate. I know it was off twice this week. It had to be.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:26 AM

this is the wrong place for it, but i'll try anyway and see if the mods don't let it slide, plus this may give some an idea.

About a year ago i bought a high roof ford transit van as i wanted to convert it into a "fred flintstone" Class B RV. It worked out pretty decent - actually have a shower & toilet, kitchen counter with a single burner propane burner & a microwave (750 watt draw).

The idea was for the wife unit and I to travel, and whoever wasn't driving could actually stand up, walk in the back, browse the web, watch a movie, fix a fresh cup of coffee or can of soup and take a break from the road. I doubled up on the sound proofing so it is quiet - but there is a distant hum from the tires but parked it's a sound isolation chamber.

This trip is our first actual long haul road trip and damn if it isn't working out pretty decent - the wife unit likes to drive (i think she's a "closet" long haul trucker). We've had two 14-15 hour days on the road and damn if we don't feel decent when we pull off the interstate. Two nights we've actually just parked in gas stop parking lots (one we asked permission) and spent the night parked in the parking lot.

Being able to take a shower makes a big difference, as well as being able to fix breakfast in the van. But the really nice part, that i had figured on, if the family's kids (that we're going to visit) get on my nerves, i can always "retire" to the van, browse the web, watch a movie etc or just nap in my own bed.

We arrived in Wyoming yesterday, we will spend a few weeks here, then we're headed to San Diego to visit one of the kids, but it's just nice not having to have them make accommodations, ie dragging out beds and double bunking to make room for us. And again, when the wife or i need our privacy, it's parked outside.

sorry, i'm just that happy with how this thing turned out

Last edited by larryccf; 11-24-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:28 AM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

Glad your trip is going smoothly. Have a good time.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:45 PM

Aboaultan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
this is the wrong place for it, but i'll try anyway and see if the mods don't let it slide, plus this may give some an idea.

About a year ago i bought a high roof ford transit van as i wanted to convert it into a "fred flintstone" Class B RV. It worked out pretty decent - actually have a shower & toilet, kitchen counter with a single burner propane burner & a microwave (750 watt draw).

The idea was for the wife unit and I to travel, and whoever wasn't driving could actually stand up, walk in the back, browse the web, watch a movie & fix a fresh cup of coffee or can of soup and take a break from the road. Being able is it quiet.

This trip is our first actual long haul road trip and damn if it isn't working out pretty decent - the wife unit likes to drive (i think she's a "closet" long haul trucker). We've had two 14-15 hour days on the road and damn if we don't feel decent when we pull off the interstate. Two nights we've actually just parked in gas stop parking lots (one we asked permission) and spent the night parked in the parking lot.

Being able to take a shower makes a big difference, as well as being able to fix breakfast in the van. But the really nice part, that i had figured on, if the family's kids (that we're going to visit) get on my nerves, i can always "retire" to the van, browse the web, watch a movie etc or just nap in my own bed.

We arrived in Wyoming yesterday, we will spend a few weeks here, then we're headed to San Diego to visit one of the kids, but it's just nice not having to have them make accommodations, ie dragging out beds and double bunking to make room for us. And again, when the wife or i need our privacy, it's parked outside.

sorry, i'm just that happy with how this thing turned out
Lol, good for you Larry.

I have a question, can you change drivers while the car is moving ?
Old 11-24-2019, 04:13 PM

" I have a question, can you change drivers while the car is moving ?"

no....... unless we're feeling particularly suicidal

But damn i wish i'd built this 20 years ago - the motel/hotel fees we'd have saved, plus the money i spent rehabbing a cabin up in Nova Scotia

Only down side on this van for camping, it's fine most of the time, but in rainy weather when you don't really want to go outside it can get claustrophobic. But i've got an idea to cure that - the van needs a rollup or pull out awning and i will be adding one - then add some roll up screening or even clear plastic sheeting to keep the rain out from blowing under the awning. Being able to keep the side door open helps alleviate the claustrophobia. But even then, it's only good for 2 or 3 days of camping. But for stuff like Sun & Fun (annual aviation fly-in & exhibition) if's fine, as most of the day will be spent walking the exhibits.

Last edited by larryccf; 11-24-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:41 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

I have an idea. Skip the plastic sheeting and store your tobacco out there. That’ll accomplish two things; add moisture to your stash and get this conversation back on track.

I never said it was a great idea.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:24 PM

Point taken....but then this forum would fall asleep again.

Are we keeping you up?