Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Powermatic 2 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2019, 11:28 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

Contrary? Because I致e simply addressed a common misconception? Possibly, but I値l wager many will see the sense of my advice and have a better functioning machine because of it.

Besides, I知 old, crusty and will speak my mind!
Old 11-21-2019, 11:50 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
Contrary? Because I致e simply addressed a common misconception? Possibly, but I値l wager many will see the sense of my advice and have a better functioning machine because of it.

Besides, I知 old, crusty and will speak my mind!

crusty, i'll concede but reality is any metal in a friction environment likes lubrication but you have your own reality, so i said go for it. It's that simple
Old 11-22-2019, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Chris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
sold the company and the buyer shut it down
long story but we got what we wanted
As long as you got what you needed out of the business. I have my eye on an old Bridgeport lathe and an end mill. I知 thinking machine work as a second job/ hobby may be a good idea.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:45 AM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

It could be a lucrative hobby. I'd have to attempt a wheellock ignition but an underhammer would be simpler. Custom tapered, profiled and fluted barrels with custom rifling...Imagine all the options! A 1680 Grenoble target rifle barrel replica would be a very expensive item.

http://www.littlegun.info/arme francaise/artisans c d/a cloistre fr.htm

http://www.littlegun.info/arme francaise/artisans s z/a soissons fr.htm
Old 11-22-2019, 12:41 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Chris from WV View Post
As long as you got what you needed out of the business. I have my eye on an old Bridgeport lathe and an end mill. I知 thinking machine work as a second job/ hobby may be a good idea.
depends on the amount of business in your area

Because a lot of machine shops went to CNC, there was one shop that after going CNC, went back to bridgeport mill & lathe for what i call "one off" jobs where it didn't pay for the setup time required for CNC - and they stayed busy as hell

the past year though, their shop has been quieter than a mortuary
Old 11-22-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by DancesWithWerewolves View Post
It could be a lucrative hobby. I'd have to attempt a wheellock ignition but an underhammer would be simpler. Custom tapered, profiled and fluted barrels with custom rifling...Imagine all the options! A 1680 Grenoble target rifle barrel replica would be a very expensive item.

http://www.littlegun.info/arme francaise/artisans c d/a cloistre fr.htm

http://www.littlegun.info/arme francaise/artisans s z/a soissons fr.htm
WOW - a little on the esoterica side but interesting
Old 11-22-2019, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Chris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
depends on the amount of business in your area

Because a lot of machine shops went to CNC, there was one shop that after going CNC, went back to bridgeport mill & lathe for what i call "one off" jobs where it didn't pay for the setup time required for CNC - and they stayed busy as hell

the past year though, their shop has been quieter than a mortuary
I知 thinking that my contacts in the trucking industry and all of the frac sites I have contacts with a lathe and mill should pay for themselves pretty quickly.