Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Storing Pipe Tobacco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 01:09 PM

chris2019 is on a distinguished road
Default Storing Pipe Tobacco

Do you store your pipe tobacco in sealable plastic bags or in glass preserving jars?

I was thinking about taking the whole pound of pipe tobacco out of the plastic bag that it comes in and placing in a glass preserving jar. Then I could take some of the tobacco out and place it inside a small glass preserving jar. When I need some tobacco to make cigarettes, I could take the tobacco out of the small jar. The big jar would only be opened when I need to fill up the small jar.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:27 PM

Aboaultan is an unknown quantity at this point

I use ziplock bags, but they aren’t effective for more than two weeks maximum since i live in hot dry climate, so im constantly remoistening them.

But i throw 69% rh boveda humidity pack in one bag ( i have 10 packs that dont help , they’re 62% so the tobacco still dry) and it keep the bag that i usually use in good moisture level.

Try the bovedas if you dont want to moisten the tobacco every to weeks.

And for the glass, i dont know how good it is in perserving the tobacco, but try putting the whole plasitc bag in the glass, this way you will have two storage level.

Moisture and tobacco are always a problem in my opinion, i bought 10 72% rh packs so i dont moisten the tobacco untill the packs get dry.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:34 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

Try searching this forum on that topic - it's been posted about a kazillion times
Old 12-02-2019, 07:44 PM

From now on, whenever I get a new bag of tobacco I am going to put it inside a mason jar.

I enjoyed watching this man teach about storing tobacco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q87WEtTIRVY
Old 12-03-2019, 03:20 PM

MarkD51 will become famous soon enoughMarkD51 will become famous soon enough

Me, I haven't gone goofy anal over this.

I might typically order 5-8 lbs of baccy (3 Sails) and I leave it alone in the bags it comes in until I need a bag.

I've not noted any considerable drying from the first bag to the last.
I only keep it all in a carboard box in a cool place in the house until needed.

For when I'm at the injector, I then do grab a couple of handfuls and place the Tobacco in a small "cookie jar" for ease of use at the machine.

Rarely have I felt the need to re-hydrate this tobacco, but if one must, re-hydration is easy enough with small amounts, I simply dampen a small piece of paper towel or Kleenex and toss in the jar. One has to be careful of over-hydrating, I've got such down pretty good. When hydrated to your liking, remove the dampened piece of Paper Towel is all.

What I'm more inclined to face, is over-hydrated Tobacco in the summer months due to higher Humidity. Even in New Mexico's Desert conditions when I lived there, but during the wet monsoon seasons this would occur. Injecting can become a pain.

I've done such in Florida, there it is a real nightmare, having to actually dry Baccy in an oven for a minute on very low heat. Sample, and continue until the right consistency.

In southwest florida as an example, open a bag of potato chips, leave them on the table for 1/2 hour, come back, the Chips don't even snap, just bend! LOL

Now I could see if I was buying 20, 30 or more lbs of tobacco at a time, then I might be inclined to place all of them into a larger plastic bag. Does anyone here really do that?
Old 12-04-2019, 08:54 AM

Per my last post, it boils down to how much are you buying, and how long do you plan on storing it?

If it was like the olden days and at the beginning of my RYO days, which is quite far back. Where I was smoking the original Dutch Drum Hand Rolling Tobacco, then of course nothing needs to be done.

Even later down the road, when it was Lookout in the Plastic Cans, or Jester, Samson, Bali Shag, and lastly PS Am Shag in the Paper Type Cans, no problemo.

I even have a couple cans of real Drum left, the remnants of 7 Cases I once bought at Iwan Ries Tobacco Shop in Chicago in 2003, in which if I opened up a Can today, it would be just like the day I bought that Baccy 16 years ago! That was basically the end of the road for real Drum with that purchase, after that I was never able to acquire any more.

Fresh, moist and every bit as tasty. No rust ever formed in the older cans of Drum, ever. When the new "Crap" Drum first came out, yeah, I seen rust form in those cans. Definitely not the same tobacco, or packaging, even to this day.

In the instance Chris, of like the 3 Sails you say you smoke, besides some others, I think the bags that this tobacco comes in is just fine to leave it alone if the storage is between 1-5 month's time.

That one other downside of playing with the tobacco too much, you might wind up with a higher amount of shake-powder in the end.

That less handling is better.

Last edited by MarkD51; 12-04-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:33 PM

I can take you guys back to a time 20-24 years ago, in the city of Chicago.

The Baccy Shops had on hand for re-moisturizing your rolling baccy with those little round discs, whatever you want to call them. Toss them in a cup of water to soak, etc.

One of those was only "maybe" good for a small pouch of Top, Bugler,ited Post Bull Durham, Drum, etc. For a Bag of Baccy, you'd need a bunch of them.
They weren't very effective IMO.

(Edited my post, impertinent info)

I'm not sure what's out there today for hydration of Tobaccos, I'd imagine there are a bunch. I know of Humidors for Cigars.

I can recall old timers telling me that in the olden days, some would use a Cabbage Leaf, or a slice of Apple to moisten a Pouch of Tobacco, but would imagine that such will impart a flavor as well.

Last edited by MarkD51; 12-05-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:59 PM

Here's a man teaching about rehydrating cigars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTSB09qzo38

Listen to what he says at 2:43:

"Depending on how long the cigars have been dry, if you're able to revive them you may find that they've lost some of their flavor and character. Now, the reason for this is the oils in the tobacco leaf are where the flavors come from, so depending on the nature of the leaf, if those oils are allowed to evaporate, the leaf is going to be much weaker in flavor, or devoid of flavor altogether."

So it is better if tobacco never dries out.

Last edited by chris2019; 12-05-2019 at 07:01 PM.