Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best manual Injector

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2019, 04:29 PM

rustynut57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best manual Injector

Hi everyone! I know this has probably been asked before, But I can take the heat. What is the best manual injector for the money? I will be looking to buy a new machine in the near future. My Excel is on it's last legs, still working,but have to be very careful how I pack the chamber. I was sold on the Powermatic 1, but after reading some recent reviews, now I'm not sure. Complaints about build quality, noise, etc. Is this still a good choice? How about the Topomatic or Mikromatic? I only make kings, never 100s. I usually make a carton at a time, about twice a week, so durability is important. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2019, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Give the Powermatic Mini a try. It's been the most durable of all the injectors I've used, and it's also been the least expensive.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:19 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

Iíll 2nd that. The mini is an excellent injector and my personal choice to take with while traveling. With practice it produces cigarettes at a rate equal to any electric and will probably outlast most.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:54 PM

MarkD51 will become famous soon enoughMarkD51 will become famous soon enough

I've been generally quite pleased with the Topomatic T2 machine.

The only plastic on the machine is the Collar Bushing under the crank handle, and yes, I had one crack once, and had to replace this part, (after at least 10,000 smokes made) but generally they are pretty robust machines, and I like the T2 much better than the revered Supermatic which has been around for literal decades.

The cracking of the plastic collar could've been my fault, not keeping up on cleaning maintenance, and trying to stuff and force crank a tobacco that was a bit too hydrated.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I once had a Premier Supermatic, when I did RYO in 2002-2003. I most certainly wouldn't call it "revered." I still had it nine years later when I resumed RYO again, but rather than using it, I bought a Zen SuperShooter instead (that lasted for 13 months before it started having issues). Next was a refurbished Fresh Choice until it became inoperable (it lasted for 39 months). I've been using the Powermatic Mini, which I had originally bought as a "backup machine" in case of power failure, exclusively since 4/1/2017.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:38 PM

95glide is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll have to agree with Mark about the T2. I'm still using the same one that I bought whenever it got so I couldn't find non FSC within an hour drive of me. I average stuffing 2 cartons a week and for a lot of those years it was twice that. I can't tell any difference in the way it works now than when it was new. This thing is a tank.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:51 AM

MarkD51 will become famous soon enoughMarkD51 will become famous soon enough

When I first started RYO many years back, the first machines I used was the Premier Excel, and it's not a bad intro machine. Largely Plastic though. Some of the parts that would wear out or break was the Spoon, and Tube Chute.

It required a bit more maintenance than the T2 by far. Eventually became a master working on them, and when I'd order parts, I'd commonly order a whole slew of them. I recall once spotting what was a brand new Excel at the local thrift shop for $4,, but it had a broken Spoon. I had a bunch on hand, and within 5 minute's time I had a brand new machine.

The first Supermatic I owned I only kept for a week and sold it. Didn't like its operation or its internal construction, was nowhere to grab the machine when injecting, and later found when working on this particular machine for the friend I sold it to, it was quite finnicky with it's adjustments. The adjustment for setting between Kings and 100's also seemed pretty ineffective. Was a bear too to get it from not tearing the ends of Tubes upon stuffing and release.

Then, in later years knew another fellow that had a Supermatic that then broke on him, I helped by ordering the needed parts and had a hell of a time then de-bugging it to work properly. Was way too touchy a machine.

The T2 has been a more durable machine in my experience. There's pretty much nothing that ever needs adjusting. Just periodic cleaning, particularly if using over hydrated or "doped" tobaccos, and an occasional lube on internal pivot points and crank with some light gun oil is all.

For 100's, the T2 has a removable metal Tab, that when removed lengthens the fill chamber to accommodate more tobacco.

This last T2 I own has to be 7-8 years old, still going strong.

Last edited by MarkD51; 09-28-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:36 AM

95glide is an unknown quantity at this point

Try powdered graphite instead of gun oil. Its a dry lube so it doesn't attract dust( less cleaning)
Old 09-28-2019, 12:34 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

THERE'S A food grade spray on silicone that dries to a clear coat but adheres to the surface sprayed on

https://www.amazon.com/Camie-Food-Processors-Silicone-Aerosol/dp/B00C9NXAG2/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=food+grade+aerosol+silico ne&qid=1569691704&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQURIU TkzTDNLUEE0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTUyMDA4MUc2WFVMTlV WTDZGSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDAxMDMzMVUxNldGTTg0O Ek1QyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWR pcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 10-25-2019, 07:33 PM

rustynut57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but there IS a reason my family calls me the "Procrastinator in Chief"(I really need to work on that). Anyway, a Powermatic Mini arrived in the mail today. Probably put it through it's paces tomorrow & will let you know what I think.

Thanks again!