Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Something similar to camel rolling tobacco and blends suggestions

Something similar to camel rolling tobacco and blends suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2019, 06:07 PM

Aboaultan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Something similar to camel rolling tobacco and blends suggestions

Hi,
In advance im sorry if im asking a lot of questions but i like to hear a lot of different opinions and learn from them, and im kinda a specific person i think.

For the past 5 months Iíve been trying different tobaccos but most of them are not that great , i dont hate them but they are not satisfing and donít worth smoking.

I tried blending but still nothing worthwhile, so i need some suggestions for blends, and i already read a loooot of threads here and still couldnít find anything great.

However, when i started ryo i tried some cig cut tobaccos that i liked very much, such as golden virgina, drum, and especially camel rolling tobacco which is the best of what Iíve tried yet, but i dont know from where to buy it + itís expensive and i know it contains chemicals that i prefer to stay away from, so if anyone know somthing similar to it Iíd appreciate it.

This is how it looks https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/3905/HIVzBA.jpg

Also, even though i liked these tobaccos i think after a month of each i got boored with it so Iíll need to change everey few weeks, but i see a lot of people here that smoke the same stuff for a long periods of time, is it just me or do you also get bored ?

I bought a pound of three sails and the first cigarette was my second best smoked cigs after the first camel ryo cig, but after a while itís not that impressive , although itís still the second best of what Iíve tried, i dont know why.

These are the tobaccos i tried for the blend suggestions

Three sails ( the best i have but too strong)
The good stuff gold ( itís ok)
Ohm natural ( tasteless)
Golden harvest blue ( itís the third best, but i only orderd 1oz sample and its over now)
Ramback ( it was very good but i throw it since it had beetles in it)
Ramback balkan (also very good but finished)
Two timer regular, rownald regular, windsail, cockstrong, ohm turkish red, penhooker, vengeur regular+ platinum ( all of these are very low on taste , and strong, i dont like them and i dont like smoking them alone, they become better when blended but not that better)
Wlt bright ( very strong and ok)
Wlt lemon( good when blended with 1st prime 50/50 but i think i got bored with it, it lacks somthing)
Wlt 1st prime
Wlt katanari + perlip(these came as a small sample with the basma, i tried to blend them but i donít think they make a difference)
Wlt basma ( very tasty , but unfortunately finishd because i blended it with the lemon and prime)

Tubes
Windsail prestige + gold
Zen light +ff
Goldens harvest ff+light
Berreta original
Mascotte x long filter

For tubes i dont think i notice much of difference, but im constantly using different tubes at a day so maybe thatís why i dont notice the difference?

Thank you.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:29 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

Camel filtered cigarettes state on the label that Izmir and Samsun Turkish tobaccos are included. I have tried adding both in equal parts to a mix. It tasted similar but not the same. I wanted to try adding a small portion of this mix (33% Izmir, 33% Samsun, 17% Prilep, and 17% Basma) but could not find them all back then.

Ramback Regular is Izmir tobacco. Ramback Balkan is a mix with a little Samsun in it but not enough to matter and the Yenice tobacco in it is distracting to me. Two-Timer is just burley but it is toasted so it gives an odd smokey flavor. The Windsail is 100% Virginia tobacco. The Prilep tobacco should remind you of cedar wood if it is not all dried up. The OHM Turkish is a blend of burley, and Virginia tobacco and has (a little) Izmir in it.

I can think of a possible blend but it will not be like the Camel RYO. With what you have now, you could try about 75% Windsail, 15% Two-Timer and 10% (or less) Prilep. The burley is the strongest tobacco if you want to adjust the strength. You could also try a 50%/50% mix of that blend and OHM Turkish to include some of the Izmir that is in it.

Since you like the oriental tobacco you could just add Prilep and/or Katarini to the OHM Turkish or Vengeur Platinum as an experiment but the topping in OHM Turkish is a bit much for me. Don't blend very much. Just blend a tiny amount so you do not end up with alot of something you might not like.

Last edited by DancesWithWerewolves; 09-21-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by DancesWithWerewolves View Post
Camel filtered cigarettes state on the label that Izmir and Samsun Turkish tobaccos are included. I have tried adding both in equal parts to a mix. It tasted similar but not the same. I wanted to try adding a small portion of this mix (33% Izmir, 33% Samsun, 17% Prilep, and 17% Basma) but could not find them all back then.

Ramback Regular is Izmir tobacco. Ramback Balkan is a mix with a little Samsun in it but not enough to matter and the Yenice tobacco in it is distracting to me. Two-Timer is just burley but it is toasted so it gives an odd smokey flavor. The Windsail is 100% Virginia tobacco. The Prilep tobacco should remind you of cedar wood if it is not all dried up. The OHM Turkish is a blend of burley, and Virginia tobacco and has (a little) Izmir in it.

I can think of a possible blend but it will not be like the Camel RYO. With what you have now, you could try about 75% Windsail, 15% Two-Timer and 10% (or less) Prilep. The burley is the strongest tobacco if you want to adjust the strength. You could also try a 50%/50% mix of that blend and OHM Turkish to include some of the Izmir that is in it.

Since you like the oriental tobacco you could just add Prilep and/or Katarini to the OHM Turkish or Vengeur Platinum as an experiment but the topping in OHM Turkish is a bit much for me. Don't blend very much. Just blend a tiny amount so you do not end up with alot of something you might not like.
I tried the windsail/ tt/prlip(and added a pinch of katanari) i donít think itís related in any way to camel ryo, it is bland, and camel was sweet. Do you think if i had at least izmer it would be closer ? Because this blend can be the opposite of camel, and i actually donít like it.

And do think i can add lemon insted of wind sail since lemon is sweet ? Or three sails ?

Also, how about adding 50% of 1st prime to each blend to light it ?

But thank you for the suggestion, you gave me a starting point which i never thought of.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:35 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

It would be easy to try the lemon instead of Windsail. If just wont taste like a camel without Samsun.Penhooker is sweet too. Try one with just Penhooker and a tiny bit of Prilep. I dont know anything about Katerini.

Last edited by DancesWithWerewolves; 09-21-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:46 PM

It would be easy to try the lemon instead of Windsail. If just wont taste like a camel without Samsun.
i can get the samsun from leaf only, but the reviews on leaf only are not exciting.
also i plan to get ramback some time in the future.

is burley that important in camel ? because i have about 1\4 oz of tt and since i dont like it im not ordering it.

i forget to ask, i have a pound of vbp yellow+ 1oz peter stokkeby turkish coming next week, do you think thy are close to camel ?
Old 09-21-2019, 11:01 PM

VPB Yellow does not have Samsun. It has Izmir
Most Turkish blends here have just Izmir Turkish tobacco added. I dont think the Samsun is that important. The Samsun I had was not great. It was cigar like. Try one without burley. Then you will know if it is important to you. Dont smoke too many cigarettes in a row experimenting. That is not a good thing.

Last edited by DancesWithWerewolves; 09-21-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:15 PM

VPB Yellow does not have Samsun. It has Izmir
Most Turkish blends here have just Izmir Turkish tobacco added. I dont think the Samsun is that important. The Samsun I had was not great. It was cigar like. Try one without burley. Then you will know if it is important to you.
but you said if it didn't have samsun it wont be close to camel ?

i usually dont use the burely, and i dont notice the diffrence if i didn't mix it.

how about basma from wlt instead of the samsun ?

also, is smokin g turkish straight or mellow similar to camel ?

lol, i learned that the hard way, now i just make a blend in each tube then whenever i want a cig i smoke a diffrent one

Last edited by Aboaultan; 09-21-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:38 PM

Finding the best Samsun might not be easy. it was cigar like but like flowers at the same time. I don thave anything to compare to it too because I only from bought it once from D&R. They dont sell it now. I have not tried Smokin G. I liked the VPB at first. It is not like a Camel. No RYO blend I have tried was like a Camel. I dont know if it is worth trying to copy Camels... or any brand for that matter. But,...yes Izmir and Samsun in an American blend cigarette I blended myself did taste similar. Not really close .Just similar. I have not tried any Basma.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:18 AM

Added some of the old Samsun to my normal store bought Turkish blend with Izmir and lit it up. Smoother but very cigarlike at the same time. There is too much burley in this mix. Regular filtered Camels have more Viginia and less burley than this. Too much like a cigar.... I have to put it out. This is why I still have nearly a whole tub of it after all that time. It is good for something different once in a while but I could not smoke often. Much less burley and much less Samsun might make it more pleasant. There is a hint of Camel though....Lol.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:50 PM

I would not give much merit to reviews of Samsun at the Leaf Only site. Most people would probably smoke it alone or mixed half and half with something. Most people dont know how to use it (in small amounts). The Camel filtered cigarettes are Virginia dominate while the unfiltered Camels have more burley. They are very different. If you insist on trying to copy a filtered Camel you will need at least Samsun tobacco and Izmir for the oriental part. That much is written on the cigarette pack. Smoking another after I added more Turkish blend store bought tobacco to the last mixture. Less cigarish and more of the subtle floral taste is there. Like I stated... it is similar but not quite the same. There is no way to find the Camel formula. It is kept secret. I wouldnt want anyone buying things that they would end up not using. The Samsun that I bought has been in a box for at least 3 years and I have hardly used any of it. Its up to you to decide if it is that important.