Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Daughters & Ryan Tobacco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2019, 05:39 PM

chris2019 is on a distinguished road
Default Daughters & Ryan Tobacco

Has anyone smoked Daughters & Ryan tobacco? If so, I would be very interested to know the particular type of D&R tobacco you have smoked and how you liked it.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:05 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

D&R tobacco are probably the highest quality mid-range tobaccos out there.

I've smoked quite a bit of it, before moving into whole leaf tobacco and shredding my own. I still stuff D&R's Vengeur Silver for the wife and her sister. It's a mild tobacco, consistently high quality and blends well with a number of other tobaccos, especially tobaccos you might want to "tone down".

what blends are you looking at?
Old 09-18-2019, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Many of us have smoked D&R's blends. I've tried:

D&R Three Sails - Definitely for a full flavor smoker. Really nice flavor (indeed, it's the best tasting tobacco of all that I've tried, and I've tried many), but needs blending with something milder to tone down its "strength" if it is to be smoked all day. Unfortunately, I found that smoking it regularly over a long-term, even when blended with Windsail, to be too hard on my throat. Note: the cut is shag, not ribbon. I've described it to other people as "Marlboro Red on steroids"!

D&R Vengeur, Vengeur Platinum - pretty typical American blend, not outstanding, but satisfactory on its own; more stems than a premium brand should have. As best as I can remember, I didn't notice much difference between Vengeur and Vengeur Platinum.

D&R Windsail - I use it only for blending (by itself it's rather bland, though I can detect a citrus flavor); blends nicely with Three Sails and Golden Harvest Robust. I still use it regularly.

D&R Ryback - To me, absolutely horrid. Another member here sent me samples of Ryback and Ryback Gold. Strong "camp fire" smell; tastes like a weird cross of BBQ and coffee. Ryback Gold is less intense than Ryback, but more intense than PS #83 Amsterdam. Immediately taught me that I detest fire-cured tobacco.

D&R Cockstrong - it could be just me, but I get an unpleasant "cigar like" aftertaste from it that lingers in the mouth.

D&R Penhooker - has a sweet lemon citrus flavor typical of Canadian tobacco, but to me it is just too cloyingly sweet, reminds me of a honey lemon drop. I ended up trading what I had left with another member here in return for a bag for Talon Regular.

D&R Ramback - Although this is supposed to be a Turkish blend, to me it was just bland, and when added to a blend of other tobaccos, it didn't noticeably contribute anything ... it just sort of receded into the background to the point of oblivion.

VPB Red (made by D&R) - tastes very much like Vengeur, but milder. Frankly, a little too mild for a full flavor blend; I'd place it in between "full flavor" and "light," maybe like Marlboro Medium.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-18-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:11 AM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
D&R Ramback - Although this is supposed to be a Turkish blend, to me it was just bland, and when added to a blend of other tobaccos, it didn't noticeably contribute anything ... it just sort of receded into the background to the point of oblivion..
Ramback Regular is 100% Izmir Turkish tobacco. I use less than 7% of it in a mix because more than that is a little too sour for me. I find that a tobacco blend without Izmir is bland tasting. It is strange that our notes are pretty much opposite for Ramback. Izmir is an acidic tobacco. I don't think I have ever tried it straight and I dont think I would like it that way at all. It could be that too much of it kills the spicy flavor. That's the only thing I can think of.

Last edited by DancesWithWerewolves; 09-19-2019 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

That's the whole point: I didn't detect any spicy flavor at all! I bought it specifically for blending and found it made no noticeable difference. What you said is what it's supposed to be. It's possible it might just have been the bag I got. IDK.
I never bought it again.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-19-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:40 AM

scott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to behold

I smoke a blend of roughly 50% Ramback with maybe 20% 3sails and 30% Windsail Silver and I really enjoy those smokes. It's really mild and has a different but enjoyable flavor for me.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Chris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud of

I smoke a mix of Ramback, Ryback, Two Timer, 3 Sails, and Piccayune. I use a relatively small amount of the Piccayune in my blend but when I leave it out it is very noticeable.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:11 PM

chris2019 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried Daughters and Ryan's Athey pipe tobacco?
Old 11-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Chris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud of

I tried Athey a couple of years ago. On the bag there was something about “ botanicals” or something to that effect. I remember a very funky aftertaste that wasn’t for me. I think the partially used bag is in a box with some other “test” tobaccos that I wouldn’t smoke even in a blend.

Last edited by Chris from WV; 11-06-2019 at 08:03 PM.