Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Interesting substitute for PG (propylene glycol)

Interesting substitute for PG (propylene glycol)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2019, 11:06 PM

larryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of light
Default Interesting substitute for PG (propylene glycol)

1st - i haven't used PG for a few years now, and when my shredded tobacco got dry, i'd just sprinkle a few drops of water into the tub late at night, and the next morning it would be fine.

But the weather has been fairly warm which means dryer air from the A/C running. On the humidity meter it's showing 25-30% range inside the house. And damn if the tobacco in the tub hasn't been drying out fast. Like i described in another thread, i store it in 2 gallon tubs, but every day or two, i pull out the tubs of 1st priming and Va Lemon, and first pull out a couple of ounces of the lemon, snip it a 2nd time, and then pull out the 1st priming and pull out a slightly larger pile of it and snip it a 2nd time, and then blend them. That will serve me for a 1 or 2 days.

Well, a couple of days ago, it was late at night and after blending the two piles of shredded tobacco, i went to make a smoke with the Powermatic II, and when i put the injector back up, the cord caught my glass of scotch and tipped it over.
We're talking the cheap stuff, like $18 for 1.75 liters, and it spilled. There wasn't much in the glass, but enough that the spill found it's way into the pile of blended tobacco. Not the full pile got wet, but a wad about the size of my thumb.

I picked it all up, and put it into the 4 ounce tub i keep my daily tobacco in, and damn, where i've had to re-moisten my tobacco every day, what was in the tub stayed moist thru 2 days.

I know alcohol acts to keep water or moisture captured in the substrate, but this worked better than PG had ever worked. And no, i haven't noticed the taste of Scotch in the tobacco.

just as an FYI

Last edited by larryccf; 09-13-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

Seems that some of the flavor would be noticed. I wonder if Islay Scotch would be noticeable. D&R Athey is described with a drambuie flavor. I think Scotch may be added. I tried an experiment with some smoking material and either spiced rum or tequilla when I was a youngster. It went horribly wrong! The taste was there for sure but in a very bad way.

Last edited by DancesWithWerewolves; Yesterday at 09:34 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

larryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of light

you dredge up memories when you mention Drambuie - my favorite drink was a Rusty Nail (mixed equal parts scotch & Drambuie) and i drank heavily in my 30s & 40s, hell, every bartender in Richmond knew me by name. I'll give you a tip on getting free drinks. When i'd walk into a bar i'd ask the bartender for the tip jar and drop a $5 or $10 bill in it - i'd tell him i used to tend bar and knew what it was like to be stiffed, and that all i wanted was that if my hand went up with an empty glass, not to make me feel like the Statue of Liberty.

Hell, without failure, they'd pour me doubles and triples and charge me for singles - btw, Drambuie is simply the dregs of a scotch barrel, distilled a second time.

Back to the scotch as a substitute for PG - i was expecting the strands to be sticky and some bound in a clump - it isn't and seems to migrate thru out the tub well.