Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » which types of pipe tobacco are not good for cigarettes?

which types of pipe tobacco are not good for cigarettes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2019, 03:34 PM

chris2019 is on a distinguished road
Default which types of pipe tobacco are not good for cigarettes?

Are there any particular types of pipe tobacco that are not good for cigarettes? Do some types of pipe tobacco produce very thick, heavy smoke like cigar smoke and therefore should never be inhaled, even slightly?
Old 09-13-2019, 05:07 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chris2019 View Post
Are there any particular types of pipe tobacco that are not good for cigarettes? Do some types of pipe tobacco produce very thick, heavy smoke like cigar smoke and therefore should never be inhaled, even slightly?
Quite few actually, whether because of excessive nicotene, cut of the tobacco. It's easier and smarter to just look at dual use or ryo tobaccos.

It would help some to point out a few of those if you gave us an idea of what brand you've been smoking, but please don't expect to find a perfect match - it will just tell us what flavors you like or respond to

You could also spend some time scrolling thru the threads here and seeing what tobaccos folks report on and how they describe them
Old 09-13-2019, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Quick rule is avoid anything that has the word "aromatic" in its description, or anything containing cavendish.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:03 PM

I was thinking about trying this tobacco for cigarettes:

Cherokee Turkish Bold
https://www.bnbtobacco.com/products/cherokee-turkish-bold-pipe-tobacco

But it says: "This brand is made with choice Cavendish tobaccos . . ."

So this definitely should not be used for cigarettes?
Old 09-15-2019, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris2019 View Post
I was thinking about trying this tobacco for cigarettes:

Cherokee Turkish Bold
https://www.bnbtobacco.com/products/cherokee-turkish-bold-pipe-tobacco

But it says: "This brand is made with choice Cavendish tobaccos . . ."

So this definitely should not be used for cigarettes?
We've run across this regarding Cherokee before. Some descriptions of Cherokee's blends mention cavendish, while others do not. I'm 99.9% certain that this is an error. I personally have had Cherokee Original (Red), and I can tell you positively there is no cavendish in it. I'm confident the same is true of Turkish Bold and other Cherokee blends and that any one of Cherokee's blends may be used for cigarettes. If by any chance there is cavendish in Cherokee, then it would have to be a practically microscopic amount.

See my post (#12) here: https://www.cigreviews.com/forums/ryo-roll-your-own-cigarettes/5664-native-2.html

You may want to read through the entire thread, as the issue of what's in Cherokee (and Arrowhead, which is made by Cherokee) recurs later in the discussion. Btw, I know of at least two other members here who routinely use Cherokee Turkish Bold for RYO.

This picture shows pipe tobacco containing cavendish (the black strands):

Trust me, Cherokee doesn't look like that!

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-15-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:57 PM

Yes, looking at the description from another company selling Cherokee Turkish Bold, I don't see cavendish mentioned. Here's part of the description:

". . . The addition of fragrant Turkish tobaccos to their usual blend of Virginia and Burley gives this blend an exotic flavor, without the need for flavoring. . . ."

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/cherokee-black/2008609/
Old 09-15-2019, 06:59 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

don't know if it was Cherokee Turkish BOld but do remember it was Cherokee Bold and it was the nastiest tobacco i've ever stuffed. It was on special for $9/bag and there was a reason it was that cheap

what factory brand do you like normally?
Old 09-15-2019, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

This is where the subjectivity of tastes comes into play. I liked Cherokee Original (what you're calling Bold). The reason IMO why it is so cheap is because it is loaded with stems, pretty large ones at that, which you have to pick out.

Larry, are you sure you don't mean Cheyenne rather than Cherokee? I seem to recall you mentioning this before a few years ago, not long after you bought it.

I found your comment:

Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
Kentucky Select natural (or was it called Organic?) - left an acidic metalic taste that i couldn't lose till the next day. I literally threw the bag away

then as runner up, Cheyenne Bold - bought 4 bags on a recommendation here on this forum, a vendor had it up for sale at $9 / 16 oz bag, tasted like i was smoking used tire rubber

but the KS i will definitely keep in first place
Now, one of the worst in quality I've ever had was Washington (made by Republic Tobacco) -- it was nothing but bone dry narrow stems, birdseyes, and shake.

Btw, I agree with you about Kentucky Select. It was the first tobacco I tried in 2012, and I couldn't get past that aftertaste, which to me seemed "herbal" (I had bought the KS Red and KS Turkish). The consensus was that all Kentucky Select blends have a nasty aftertaste that lingers in your mouth for a long while.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-19-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:11 PM

How does Cherokee Turkish Bold compare to Smokin' G Turkish Straight Blend? Is Cherokee Turkish Bold more flavorful?
Old 09-15-2019, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Ask DancesWithWerewolves -- he uses Cherokee Turkish Bold regularly.

I haven't had either Cherokee's or Smokin' G's Turkish blends, only the "Red" blends. With regard to Cherokee Original versus Smokin' G MRD (now called Crimson), Cherokee was better tasting IMO.