Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » how to smooth whole leaf? , and aging

how to smooth whole leaf? , and aging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 01:22 PM

Aboaultan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to smooth whole leaf? , and aging

Hi,
i have a pound of bright leaf and a pound of first prime, when i tried the bright alone in a FF golden harvest tube it was very high to me in nicotine and a bit heavy on the chest, and when i mixed it 50/50 with 1st prime it was kinda still heavy but also it was harsh.

i think it could be because of the moisture ? but in general how do i make it smoother. i read about a lot of ways until the point i got confused, so could any body give me a detailed explanation how to do it ?

also, i read about aging and from the way i understand it it makes the taste much better, would the tobacco age when it is in an opened vapor proof bags ? i put it in 2 plastic bags to let it hold its moisture.

and how do i moisten the tobacco in the best way? i used the 62% packs but it seems drier than what i want, and i only have on 69 pack. and is it better to moisten the shreeded tobacco or the leaves ?

lastly, im getting a lemon leaf in about 2 weeks, how is it compared to the bright leaf ?

thanks.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:37 PM

larryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of light

answers in bold below

Originally Posted by Aboaultan View Post
Hi,
i have a pound of bright leaf and a pound of first prime, when i tried the bright alone in a FF golden harvest tube it was very high to me in nicotine and a bit heavy on the chest, and when i mixed it 50/50 with 1st prime it was kinda still heavy but also it was harsh.

Some of that harshness will diminish with age, generally 3-6 months after shredding. I have smoked my shredded tobacco right after shredding as i was out - i had shredded quite a bit, about 20 lbs, and as i smoked it, over time i noticed it was smoking a little sweeter and loosing any harshness it had. That was with Va Lemon. I can't speak for your Bright leaf as i haven't smoked but a little bit of it, it was too strong for me and i ended up throwing it out. To me, as i recall, Bright leaf was about like a strong marlboro red.

Va Lemon is about 1/2 as strong (nicotene wise), maybe less

But i'd try blending the Bright leaf to 1st Priming 25% / 75% and see how that smokes.

i think it could be because of the moisture ? but in general how do i make it smoother. i read about a lot of ways until the point i got confused, so could any body give me a detailed explanation how to do it ?

You can spritz a few drops of water into the tub - those packets are supposed to help keep tobacco moist, but i don't think they're intend to actually moisten it. Dip your fingers in a glass of water and spritz or sprinkle a few drops of water into the shredded tobacco - when mine dries out, i'll put maybe 3-4 drops of water into a volume of tobacco about the volume of a pack of factory cigarettes.

Some folks will use a small piece of celery, or some apple peel or even a pc of orange rind

moisturizing it will also help remove some of the harshness

also, i read about aging and from the way i understand it it makes the taste much better, would the tobacco age when it is in an opened vapor proof bags ? i put it in 2 plastic bags to let it hold its moisture.

It will age fine with the bags closed - i put 24 ounces of shredded tobacco in rubber tubs that are 7 - 8 liters in volume, and try to remember to open them for an hour or so every 2 -3 months.

and how do i moisten the tobacco in the best way? i used the 62% packs but it seems drier than what i want, and i only have on 69 pack. and is it better to moisten the shreeded tobacco or the leaves ? See above

lastly, im getting a lemon leaf in about 2 weeks, how is it compared to the bright leaf ? see above

thanks.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:05 PM

This might sound sound like a stupid question, but Couldn’t it be that you got used to it’s harshness over time ?

Im going to age some, and sample it every month.

Also , when i moisten it, can i just put it in a ziplock immediately?

I’m assuming I’ll have to let it dry a bit, but how long exactly?

and thank you for mentioning that the lemon is half strong, because i might get used to the bright leaf strength by the time i get the lemon.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2019, 04:44 PM

larryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of light

see answers below

This might sound sound like a stupid question, but Couldnít it be that you got used to itís harshness over time ? NO

Im going to age some, and sample it every month. THE VA Lemon starts to taste a little sweeter at about 3 months and seems to max out at 6-7 months

Also , when i moisten it, can i just put it in a ziplock immediately?

yes - but don't make it too moist or you'll have mold growth. IIRC, under 74% humidity and under 80F to prevent. If you don't have a humidity meter, just don't make the tobacco wet - if when you pinch the tobacco it breaks, then it's too dry, if the strands spring back after pinching that's the moisture level you want. Too moist, and it doesn't spring back

Iím assuming Iíll have to let it dry a bit, but how long exactly?

Aboaultan - to know that i'd have to know how moist you made it, and how dry the air is there and how hot. Try this - put a pc of celery in with the tobacco in the bags - check it in a couple of days and if it's still dry, put a new pc of celery in, a small pc maybe 5CM long

and thank you for mentioning that the lemon is half strong, because i might get used to the bright leaf strength by the time i get the lemon.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2019, 06:21 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

This is not a scientific response but I just want to relay my amateur experience with moistening overly dry tobacco both shredded and whole. I generally go by feel when it comes to moisture levels but I do use a moisture eater occasionally to check myself. I prefer my tobacco at roughly 18% for shredding and 14% for stuffing. As I mentioned I go by feel, if itís too dry I give it a few spritzes of water from a spray bottle. If too wet Iíll let it set for a while stirring and checking occasionally. Some say to moisten with distilled water but I donít, we have clean soft water from the tap so I see no need unless your water is high in minerals.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Aboaultan - so you don't get confused by the different moisture measurement methods, DaveM is referring to moisture lever as measured by a moisture meter - here's a link to one, https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-MMD4E-Moisture-High-Medium-Low/dp/B00275F5O2/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=moisture+meter&qid=1567903652& s=gateway&sr=8-4

you use it by taking a handful of the shredded tobacco, compressing it in your hand and probing into that compressed lump of tobacco with the prongs at the top of the meter

the other measurement, ie humidity is measured by hygrometer - here's a digital one https://www.amazon.com/HygroSet-Hygrometer-10-Second-Tempeture-Importers/dp/B000H6CZQE/ref=sr_1_51?crid=131QBOKYGMITA&keywords=humidity+m eter&qid=1567903831&s=gateway&sprefix=humidity+met er%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-51

THe hygrometer needs to be calibrated before first use, but once you've done that you would leave it in the tub with the moistened tobacco. The hygrometer is slower to read the moisture in the atmosphere of the environment it's placed in. But iirc, when my moisture meter showed 14%, the hygrometer read 74 or 75% humidity

either device is fine, and each has it's drawback - the hygrometer, like i said, takes a bit of time to stabilize at the humidity level reading, 8 - 12 hours, and the hygrometer, while it reads the tobacco you've compressed in your hand and reported the moisture level faster, that reading is only good for the clump in your hand

and once you've used either one for a few readings, you'll soon know the moisture level by feel and you won't use them again

Last edited by larryccf; 09-07-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:51 PM

I think I’ll go by feel too, i don’t think I’ll be needing any device since i already know the feeling i want for moisture, the problem i had was ho to get it.

And for aging, that’s going to take time since I’m shredding by scissors and it is time consuming and I have i tight schedule, but I’m planing to get a manual shredder next month. So as soon i get it im going to shred everything.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:42 PM

Another problem, the harshness is still there even after rehydrating , and even after i mixed 25%bright and 75% 1st prime, also when i mixed 50%basma and 50% bright.

It is a minor harshness on the back of my throat during exhaling.

Is it possibly due to the cut ? Because the cut is kinda wide, im still trying to master the perfect cut until i get a shredder, i heard that the cut does impact the smoothness but I don’t know to what degree.

And what is the best way to cut the narrowest cut possible without a shredder ?
Old 09-09-2019, 08:08 PM

Is it possibly due to the cut ? Because the cut is kinda wide, im still trying to master the perfect cut until i get a shredder, i heard that the cut does impact the smoothness but I donít know to what degree.

That's a possibility, i've never smoked ribbon cut by scissors. Is the moisture level of the shred up or is it dry?
Being dry will also make it harsher - the moisture helps to cool the smoke's temperature

And what is the best way to cut the narrowest cut possible without a shredder ?
Read this thread here -
https://www.cigreviews.com/forums/ryo-roll-your-own-cigarettes/9311-whole-leaf-shredders-comparison-review.html

the answer is in there. Keep in mind, the difference between .8 mm shag and 1.3 or 1.5 is not that great. 20 lb printer paper is approx .1mm in thickness, so even .7mm wider cut is not going to be noticeable
Old 09-10-2019, 05:17 AM

Yes i think so , it is approximate to d&r tobaccos muisture level, and i already did what you said about spraying it with little water, after that i put it in tha ziplock bag with 69% pack , it made a small difference, but the harshness is still there.

I’ll into that thread later