Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » how to smooth whole leaf? , and aging

how to smooth whole leaf? , and aging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 12:54 AM

Aboaultan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DancesWithWerewolves View Post
If you stop and think about it, that may seem a little mean. Maybe he got some dirty sand lugs or something. They are closest to the ground right? Maybe it is moldy. Could be a reason for the harshness.
Lol, thanks for protecting me.

Yeah i thought it could be moldy but i carefully examine each leaf before shredding, and tear each weird part , unless it was invisible ? Could it be ?
Old 09-12-2019, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

The most likely explanations are:
(1) The hot, arid climate -- he says, No, that's not it.
(2) The very fact that whole leaf is unprocessed; that is, it's not treated with humectants, which not only retard drying but also smooth the smoke, which I had pointed out at comment #11. His response to that comment was peculiar, as though he took the meaning as the very opposite.
Every theory offered has been denied, so frankly, we're running out of ideas. It is like hitting a wall.

I am really thinking that it is the fact whole leaf is unprocessed, and that it simply is not for him.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:06 AM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

I have breathing problems and find that now if I smoke too much, smoking anything at all seems harsh and unpleasant. If I smoke too many too early in the day then by evening anything I smoke tastes unpleasant. It defeats the purpose. Now we may have covered everything Lol.
I would suggest the glycerine based citrus casing that the leaf sites offer but I didnt use much of that before I decided that it was not for me. It did take the raw edge off a little but it also seemed to mute the desireable natural flavors and I cannot stand the humecant.

Last edited by DancesWithWerewolves; 09-12-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:44 AM

scott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I plan on getting a pound of lemon, first priming, maryland 609 and stacked basma to start with and see if I like it enough to continue. The real dollars are going to be the powermatic shredder though. I've been checking ebay for a used one and they're kind of hard to come by used.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
The most likely explanations are:
(1) The hot, arid climate -- he says, No, that's not it.
(2) The very fact that whole leaf is unprocessed; that is, it's not treated with humectants, which not only retard drying but also smooth the smoke, which I had pointed out at comment #11. His response to that comment was peculiar, as though he took the meaning as the very opposite.
Every theory offered has been denied, so frankly, we're running out of ideas. It is like hitting a wall.

I am really thinking that it is the fact whole leaf is unprocessed, and that it simply is not for him.
If you read my first post ( and some other posts) with some attention you wouldnít even consider these options because i didnít say the bright leaf alone was harsh , only too strong for me in nicotine and on the chest.

I experienced the harshness when mixed with 1st prime and also 1st prime by itself, so they are all whole leaf, meaning all unprocessed, Iím still in the same city and area and the air is still the same.

And I actually politely excluded these possibilities with explanations, and i also mentioned that i know itís weird , but it is what it is.

Im not trying to deny everything just for denying it , and not because Iím enjoying the discussion just for the sake of it, i simply thought someone here had experienced somthing similar and can give me a solution, but it doesnít seem anyone have an answer so thanks for the effort anyway.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:28 AM

I have breathing problems and find that now if I smoke too much, smoking anything at all seems harsh and unpleasant. If I smoke too many too early in the day then by evening anything I smoke tastes unpleasant. It defeats the purpose. Now we may have covered everything Lol.
I would suggest the glycerine based citrus casing that the leaf sites offer but I didnt use much of that before I decided that it was not for me. It did take the raw edge off a little but it also seemed to mute the desireable natural flavors and I cannot stand the humecant.
Yeah I have that sometimes, although i think itís normal , not because of breathing problems.

Yes i thought it could help, but didnít order it in the first place because as you mentioned I thought it would change the flavor.

I think im going to get one on the next order, thanks.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:50 AM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by scott62 View Post
Yes, I plan on getting a pound of lemon, first priming, maryland 609 and stacked basma to start with and see if I like it enough to continue. The real dollars are going to be the powermatic shredder though. I've been checking ebay for a used one and they're kind of hard to come by used.
It may not be wise to commit to buying a powermatic shreadder. For most of us whole leaf tobacco is just a phase that soon fades away. I would still buy the oriental type leaf since it is basically already processed and aged but I would not buy that brightleaf again. I am curious about the D&R Dark Virginia leaf however. I am halfway tempted to see if the D&R Blenders Bench Red Virginia is actually still available at Briary to mix with Windsail and my favorite pouches of burley and some of the 80/20 Izmir/Prilep formula. That would cost alot more I know. A special smoke is always nice for a change of pace.

Last edited by DancesWithWerewolves; 09-12-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:30 AM

larryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Aboaultan View Post
That’s why I thought it was weird, but maybe I’m not describing it right.

It’s not on the inhalation, i feel the harshness while i exhale and after, is that consider harshness ?

Aboaultan - if it were the tobacco, it should be harsh on the inhale, more so than on the exhale. I've never heard of that nor experienced it and i have smoked harsh tobaccos.

If you think about it, the smoke on exhalation is cooler than it was on inhalation, and has acquired some moisture from your lungs. Something is peculiar to you, your throat, or whatever, but that statement makes no sense.

Last edited by larryccf; 09-12-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by Aboaultan View Post
If you read my first post ( and some other posts) with some attention you wouldn’t even consider these options because i didn’t say the bright leaf alone was harsh , only too strong for me in nicotine and on the chest.

I experienced the harshness when mixed with 1st prime and also 1st prime by itself, so they are all whole leaf, meaning all unprocessed, I’m still in the same city and area and the air is still the same.

And I actually politely excluded these possibilities with explanations, and i also mentioned that i know it’s weird , but it is what it is.

Im not trying to deny everything just for denying it , and not because I’m enjoying the discussion just for the sake of it, i simply thought someone here had experienced somthing similar and can give me a solution, but it doesn’t seem anyone have an answer so thanks for the effort anyway.
I apologize. As you said yourself, "I know that it's weird," so it's the weirdness of this situation that made me think you were just dismissing every suggestion you were given. I became impatient, and shouldn't have.

In any case, Larry knows more about this than I do, and I have no other ideas to offer anyway.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-12-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:35 AM

scott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to behold

It may not be wise to commit to buying a powermatic shreadder. For most of us whole leaf tobacco is just a phase that soon fades away.
Yes Im hesitant about it but I figured that even if I don't care for the work involved I could always recoup some of the money invested on the second hand market.