Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » interesting story on vaping

interesting story on vaping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2019, 03:58 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all
Default interesting story on vaping

while the CDC has decided to finally investigate all the incidents with vaping, 200 iirc, this story sheds some detail

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2019/08/29/its-very-scary-teen-says-vaping-put-her-in-coma/
Old 08-31-2019, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

This was in the news three days ago:

"The City of Milwaukee issued a health alert Wednesday urging people to stop vaping immediately amid an outbreak of lung disease doctors suspect is linked to e-cigarettes. ... Confirmed cases have been reported in Dodge, Door, Kenosha, Milwaukee, Portage, Racine, Walworth, Washington, Waukesha and Winnebago counties."

See: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/28/vaping-alert-stop-using-e-cigarettes-milwaukee-health-officials-say/2146544001/

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-05-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:15 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

i'd already seen quite a few stories, it was the detail in this story that filled in the blanks - ie the glycerin from the vaping fluids collecting in the lungs, trapping moisture and creating "pretri" dish condition in your lungs for mold to grow in

glad i never vaped

PS - just remembered, zippity do dah claiming he'd mixed his vaping fluid with 50% PG (glycerin) and it was fine

Last edited by larryccf; 08-31-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

I recall reading years ago, 2012 or 2013, that it was believed that vaping had an increased risk of respiratory diseases, colds, flu and pneumonia, for the very reason you just cited, but as a breeding ground for bacteria and viruses.

The one time I tried an e-cigarette, I had a twofold adverse reaction: (1) the "Classic Tobacco" flavor tasted like coffee to me, and I hate coffee; (2) I gagged on the vapor, a reaction I never had with smoking, not even the first time. After three or four drags I was through with it, and threw the damn thing into the trash.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:37 PM

what nagged at me about the vape devices was that they were a) unregulated and b) coming out of china, and i still recalled how the chinese sheet rock was poisoning people back, iirc, in 1998 to 2002 - that was a pretty serious scandal. Somehow that chinese sheet rock was giving off formadylhyde fumes that was sickening people in newly build homes.

Told me the chinese don't care what harm they'll do if they'll save 2 cents on the mfgring process
Old 09-01-2019, 03:25 AM

IronicChef is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
I recall reading years ago, 2012 or 2013, that it was believed that vaping had an increased risk of respiratory diseases, colds, flu and pneumonia, for the very reason you just cited, but as a breeding ground for bacteria and viruses.

The one time I tried an e-cigarette, I had a twofold adverse reaction: (1) the "Classic Tobacco" flavor tasted like coffee to me, and I hate coffee; (2) I gagged on the vapor, a reaction I never had with smoking, not even the first time. After three or four drags I was through with it, and threw the damn thing into the trash.
Iíve tried vaping a couple of times - mostly just a hit off of someoneís who has offered it to me. Seems like everytime I tried it, I couldnít inhale it at all - just made me gag, which like you, Iíve never experienced with actual smoke or tobacco.

What Iíve read about the cases so far is that there seems to be an underlying thread among virtually all (that Iíve read about). Itís buried in stories and certainly not called out, but theyíve all been smoking some sort of oil based THC blend. Not sure of the specifics, but it sounds as if itís some sort of after market thing someone is selling on the streets that plugs into a device. I think that is the scarier part of vaping and what people are inhaling; with tobacco you know what you are getting, for the most part. When you buy something to vape, you have no idea what it really is.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:09 AM

SamanthaD will become famous soon enough

What amazes me is that products such as Juul are being advertised on radio as if it were some perfectly safe alternative to smoking.How do they get away with this.Newsflash:It's NOT safe!!
Old 09-01-2019, 10:55 AM

scott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to behold

A few months ago I was at the pub having a few beers and a friend of mine was there and had a THC type vape device. He urged me to take a hit so I took a small hit of it and that thing made me cough for about 30 minutes after. I asked him how the hell he could hit that without coughing and I guess he was used to it. It wasn't harsh or anything but something in that steam just gagged me big time. I had tried vaping many years ago and it never affected me as that thing did.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:33 PM

i remember back in late 90s or maybe early 2000s, there was an outfit down in florida that was the first to introduce vaping devices, and really touting them as the neatest thing since sliced bread.

There was a segment about them on "60 minutes" and it mentioned the devices had not been approved by the FDA, and that there were concerns as copy cat devices had shown up.

Then apparently the FDA stepped in, or maybe it was Customs banning them from importation and the company shut them all down and that was the last i recall hearing about them. Never saw any story that the FDA had actually ruled them unsafe, or established any standards, nothing..... the whole thing seemed to just vaperize into history (pun intended).

And irrc, it was 3-4 years before they showed up again
Old 09-01-2019, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

There's another serious issue -- the use of diacetyl, a buttery-flavored chemical once used in popcorn, caramel, and dairy products, in some e-cigarettes' flavoring. Inhalation of diacetyl has been linked to bronchiolitis obliterans ("popcorn lung"), a serious and irreversible lung disease that causes coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath, similar to the symptoms of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

Even though we know that diacetyl causes "popcorn lung," it is found in many e-cigarette flavors. It is added to "e-juice" liquid by some e-cigarette companies to complement flavorings such as vanilla, maple, coconut and more. So while diacetyl was swiftly removed from popcorn products since it could cause this devastating disease among factory workers, e-cigarette users are now directly inhaling this harmful chemical into their lungs. In fact, researchers at Harvard found that 39 of 51 e-cigarette brands contained diacetyl. The study also found two similar chemicals — 2,3 pentanedione and acetoin — present in 23 and 46 of the 51 flavors it tested. And roughly 92% of the e-cigarettes had one of the three chemicals present. Many people are thus unknowingly inhaling chemicals that can cause traumatic respiratory harm.

The FDA announced in July 2017 that it would delay until 2022 the requirement that e-cigarette companies submit their products, including all ingredients, to FDA for review. In 2016, the European Union banned diacetyl as an ingredient in e-cigarettes and vape liquids.

According to the CDC, rats inhaling 2,3-pentanedione developed necrotizing rhinitis, tracheitis, and bronchitis. The effects of its inhalation by humans is unknown.

Acetoin is an organic compound used as a flavoring additive in cigarettes and e-cigarettes/vape liquids. Acetoin, by itself, is not linked to any detrimental effects and is considered "safe" for inhalation. There has been concern that the molecule acetoin can under certain circumstances "catalyze" into containing minute traces of the molecule diacetyl, but if only a small amount of acetoin is in a flavor, the potential likelihood of there also being diacetyl is very small.

See: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/common-e-cigarette-chemical-flavorings-may-impair-lung-function/

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-05-2019 at 09:49 AM.