Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Lung capacity difference and a bit of my ryo experience

Lung capacity difference and a bit of my ryo experience


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2019, 05:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 0
Aboaultan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lung capacity difference and a bit of my ryo experience

I’ve been smoking for about five years now, became regular for the last two . Most of those years smoking marlboro red. And i took a lot of breaks from smoking because i got bored from it. This year i smoked golden virginia, captin black, and drum in raw organic papers filtered with two roll filters with the total length of 30mm (15 each).
The last four months i smoked with zen, golden harvest, windsail tubes ff and light( i got a carton for each for every brand) and smoked various tobaccos. For the last two years i used to smoke about half a pack a day. Some days (holidays usually) i smoke 2 a day, and some days( usually long days at college ) i smoke 12-15. This was my summarized history of smoking( and i know that im still new).

Now for the important part, last year when i was smoking marlboro red , maybe after six months or so, i started testing my lungs by taking deep breaths and see how much air could they contain after thinking about smoking effects on the lungs and hearing that the red are very heavy on the chest, and I noticed that the lung capacity was a little bit less.
I think i maybe overthought of it and became a little bit paranoid, because what i understand is that the health effects don’t appear this soon. And I actually never had a problem doing anything and didn’t have problems breathing except when i tried two deep breaths one after another.
I think this may be because im not fit and never been a sports man , never, but im not overweight at all and not lazy, it’s just i didn’t have an interest in sports when i was young, and still don’t.
I walk a few times a month but my schedule is a bit chaotic and my country itself don’t support sports that much beside the really hot weather all year(35-50c ) except in winter.

Three weaks ago i was home alone for about 18 days and smoked about 12-15 a day indoors.
I was trying a lot of different D&R tobacco. I noticed a little bit of heaviness in my chest when i smoked cockstrong, penhooker, vengur,windsail, rowland, and two timer (all are regular versions), i smoked them in ff tubes and light mixed at the same day and didn’t realize how heavy they are, I still don’t but i think they are too heavy in ff tubes, and i felt that the taste wasn’t really great, it was just ok.

However, even in the light tubes, they were a bit heavy and almost tasteless. Of course i changed my daily recipes and mixed light stuff, such as good stuff gold, ramback, ramback balkan, venuger silver and platinum , windsail silver and platinum with the previous tobaccos to make it lighter.

I don’t think that I wrapped my head around all of this yet, i still don’t if I’m smoking light or heavy stuff and im very confused about this, so I’m wondering how heavy exactly these tobaccos ( all the mentiond above in light and ff tubes plus three sails tobacco) .
When i smoked the raw papers it was very simple and controllable, i had the best strength without any chest effects, and most of the time felt that my lung capacity perfect, but I don’t want to smoke rollies anymore due to various reasons ( especially that they are suspicious).

Also, im very confused about how some people smoke 2+ red packs without any complaints, and some people smoke a pack of light and have problems. I know everybody is different, but how’s that, because my best guess is that the people who smoke 2+ packs neither don’t try to take deep breaths, don’t realize they have a problem, or they don’t complain. Also i think I overthink sometimes and start having problems because of my thinking, kind of lying and believing the lie.

So to sum up, the paragraphs above had the questions i would like everyone input on. The mentioned tobaccos strength, ff& light tubes combinations, lung capacity and all that, how does some people don’t have health problems when they smoke a lot .
Some of these questions have been bugging me for months now, so i hope i get some helpful input.

Last edited by Aboaultan; 08-24-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2019, 09:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 0
Aboaultan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Come on , no one has any idea ?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2019, 10:09 PM
larryccf's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,797
Rep Power: 192
larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all
Default

FOR ONE, i didn't read it as it's one long long paragraph

you might try breaking it up some, ie paragraphs are your friend

I suspect others felt the same
__________________
Quote of the day: The president could, tomorrow morning, walk across the potomac river and the press would report 'The President Can't Swim' "
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2019, 10:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 0
Aboaultan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
FOR ONE, i didn't read it as it's one long long paragraph

you might try breaking it up some, ie paragraphs are your friend

I suspect others felt the same
I changed it a bit, i hope it’s better now.
I didn’t realize it was that long until i was finished, and didn’t think it was that important.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2019, 11:01 AM
larryccf's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,797
Rep Power: 192
larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all
Default

i can't comment on some of the differenes you noted in "lung capacity" but will state that a better measure would be how long it takes to regain normal breathing after a workout, like maybe swimming two or three lengths of a pool.

I started smoking when i was 15 or 15 & 1/2 years old. By the time i went into the US Navy, i could tell it was affecting my "lung capacity" as i couldn't run any distance without being out of breath, but i thought that was the full extent of the damage i was doing to my lungs. It gets worse over time

Yes the smoke coats the lining of the lungs and prevents or limits the lung's ability to take oxygen from the air, but that isn't all that happens.

I had a 4 way heart bypass a few years ago - the surgeon that operated on me, in trying to convince me to quit mentioned something i wasn't aware of. Nicotene causes blood vessels, and other "tubing" in your body to shrink in diameter. He told me that in med school, they cut live rabbits stomach skin away to expose their intestines (while they were still alive). They took a single drop of nicotene and put it in a gallon of water, shook it well to mix, and then injected some of that water/nicotene into the rabbit's stomach. Within a minute, all of the veins & blood vessels that were visible in the rabbit's stomach's lining had shrunk so small they were no longer visible.

This same shrinkage occurs in your esophagus, and other "tubes" in your lung system. He also told me it takes 15-20 minutes from the time you put a cigarette out for your lung's capillaries to start to return to normal.

and fwiw, i asked him if the smoking had caused my heart attacks - his response was surprisingly honest: yes & no.The primary cause(s) of the heart attacks were hereditary & dietary. Before the decision to operate, they had done a heart catherization, ie put a camera up one of my arteries and visually inspected the arteries etc at my heart. THey were showing nearing total blockage from the build up of fats, lipids that coat the inside of the arteries (think in terms of block drainage pipes in your kitchen).

Add to that blockage which means reduced blood flow, nicotene causing the shrinking of those same blood vessels, and you've got a situation where the heart cannot deliver oxygenated blood to your body fast enough, and it starts pumping faster and faster to try to meet the body's demand for oxygenated blood.

THis is somewhat a "fred flintstone" encapsulation but you get the idea
__________________
Quote of the day: The president could, tomorrow morning, walk across the potomac river and the press would report 'The President Can't Swim' "
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: U.S.A. (NYC metro area)
Posts: 7,963
Rep Power: 807
masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice
Default

This question has sort of been asked before, see: https://www.cigreviews.com/forums/general-smokers-discussion/2858-does-smoking-affect-your-fitness.html

In brief, there's no doubt that smoking reduces lung capacity. However, regular exercise increases lung capacity, so that can help to counteract the effect on lung capacity by smoking.

With regard to many of your questions, smoking is one risk factor among several involved in such illnesses as cancer and heart disease. So its effects on individuals will vary, depending on other risk factors, as well as how much they smoke, how long they've smoked, the way they smoke their cigarette, etc. I personally doubt low tar cigarettes meaningfully reduce the risk, especially as smokers find way to defeat the filter's design, or will smoke more and/or take longer drags, inhale more deeply, etc.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 08-25-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2019, 12:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 0
Aboaultan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
i can't comment on some of the differenes you noted in "lung capacity" but will state that a better measure would be how long it takes to regain normal breathing after a workout, like maybe swimming two or three lengths of a pool.

I started smoking when i was 15 or 15 & 1/2 years old. By the time i went into the US Navy, i could tell it was affecting my "lung capacity" as i couldn't run any distance without being out of breath, but i thought that was the full extent of the damage i was doing to my lungs. It gets worse over time

Yes the smoke coats the lining of the lungs and prevents or limits the lung's ability to take oxygen from the air, but that isn't all that happens.

I had a 4 way heart bypass a few years ago - the surgeon that operated on me, in trying to convince me to quit mentioned something i wasn't aware of. Nicotene causes blood vessels, and other "tubing" in your body to shrink in diameter. He told me that in med school, they cut live rabbits stomach skin away to expose their intestines (while they were still alive). They took a single drop of nicotene and put it in a gallon of water, shook it well to mix, and then injected some of that water/nicotene into the rabbit's stomach. Within a minute, all of the veins & blood vessels that were visible in the rabbit's stomach's lining had shrunk so small they were no longer visible.

This same shrinkage occurs in your esophagus, and other "tubes" in your lung system. He also told me it takes 15-20 minutes from the time you put a cigarette out for your lung's capillaries to start to return to normal.

and fwiw, i asked him if the smoking had caused my heart attacks - his response was surprisingly honest: yes & no.The primary cause(s) of the heart attacks were hereditary & dietary. Before the decision to operate, they had done a heart catherization, ie put a camera up one of my arteries and visually inspected the arteries etc at my heart. THey were showing nearing total blockage from the build up of fats, lipids that coat the inside of the arteries (think in terms of block drainage pipes in your kitchen).

Add to that blockage which means reduced blood flow, nicotene causing the shrinking of those same blood vessels, and you've got a situation where the heart cannot deliver oxygenated blood to your body fast enough, and it starts pumping faster and faster to try to meet the body's demand for oxygenated blood.

THis is somewhat a "fred flintstone" encapsulation but you get the idea
Last time i ran was two months ago, i could only run for about 750 meters in about 2 and a half minutes continually, after that i was out of breath for a while but I continued to run and when im out of breath i walked for a short time then run again for a total time equal to 40 minutes .

Actually i was surprised that this was all i can do, but i dont know if it was mainly because smoking or because im not used to run at all.

So the lung capacity effect is very quick from what i understood, but serious health problem is after approximately 30-35 years.
I actually know about the nicotine narrowing effect, but never thought it could do any permanent damage.

So since you start at about 15, did experience heaviness on the chest at any point ? And what were you smoking ?
Because i want to know the difference between full and light cigarettes effect on the chest.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2019, 12:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 0
Aboaultan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
This question has sort of been asked before, see: https://www.cigreviews.com/forums/general-smokers-discussion/2858-does-smoking-affect-your-fitness.html

In brief, there's no doubt that smoking reduces lung capacity. However, regular exercise increases lung capacity, so that can help to counteract the effect on lung capacity by smoking.

With regard to many of your questions, smoking is one risk factor among several involved in such illnesses as cancer and heart disease. So its effects on individuals will vary, depending on other risk factors, as well as how much they smoke, how long they've smoked, the way they smoke their cigarette, etc. I personally doubt low tar cigarettes meaningfully reduce the risk, especially as smokers find way to defeat the filter's design, or will smoke more and/or take longer drags, inhale more deeply, etc.
Yeah i read the whole thread, but still didnít get the full picture of the main idea im wondering about, which is how quickly will the lung capacity be reduced and how is that related to full or light cigarettes.

I actually think some tobaccos are heavy on the chest , but I canít tell if it was tar in the lungs( which I doubt it could have done the effect this quick) or narrowing of the vessel as larry pointed. Maybe heavy tobaccos cause more narrowing.

Havenít you experienced any tightness or loss of breath or something? And how quickly did smoking affected your breath or fitness ? Because i would like to hear the details if possible so i could have a better picture about what Iíve noticed.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2019, 01:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 0
Aboaultan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Also, there is the point about how heavy the tobaccos I mentioned comparatively.
Rowland, two timer, penhooker, cockstrong, vengeur regular/platinum/silver, three sails, windsail regular/platinum/silver, good stuff gold, ramback, golden harvest blue.
And what is the difference between putting the tobacco in light or ff regarding strength and flavor, how much is it reduced? About 25% ? Or 50%? I know it won’t be certain, but best estimate is enough for me.

And again, i would like a detailed answer if possible please because as i said, im trying to wrap my head around this and would enjoy to read a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2019, 06:50 AM
larryccf's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,797
Rep Power: 192
larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all
Default

Originally Posted by Aboaultan View Post
..........

So since you start at about 15, did experience heaviness on the chest at any point ? And what were you smoking ?

...........
Marlboro Red
__________________
Quote of the day: The president could, tomorrow morning, walk across the potomac river and the press would report 'The President Can't Swim' "
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's The Difference Between Mouth to Lung and Direct to Lung ? Tmart ecig Electronic Cigarettes - E Cigarettes 1 08-06-2018 12:23 PM
Whole Leaf Experience. burge RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes 0 11-01-2017 07:09 AM
Bad experience Kagami Kun General Smokers Discussion 14 09-08-2017 06:03 PM
Lung Fullness masklofumanto General Smokers Discussion 4 04-28-2013 11:59 AM
Any experience with... jackbauer Fire Safe Cigarettes - FSC Cigarettes 0 02-16-2010 07:57 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Cigreviews.com



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13