Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Have to quit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 10:13 PM

Stagger Lee is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Have to quit

Dont want to but after beating throat cancer last July I now have developed cancer of the tongue and internal part of nose! 8-12 hour surgery with a 3 - 10 month therapy. Told I'll be facially deformed as well. Needless to say pain will be a constant during recovery. Friend wants to give me a hot shot and admitting it seems to be alternative. Started at 12 and became a regular in Army 50 years ago. Hey..... we all are warned but think it ain't happening to us. Thought I'd make it til 80 and die naturally! Really..... would you quit??
Old 08-08-2019, 11:36 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

you might want to try chantrix - i tried it, and after two cycles, i was able to quit for about 12 days and in spite of the panic i feared would set in on the day that i totally stopped, it didn't happen

mistake i made was over confidence - after the 12thday, i was so impressed by the lack of desire to light one up, i smoked a couple of drags off a cig, then did it again the next day, and on the 3rd day did it twice. THen it became a 1/4 cig a day, and that progressed to a whole cig a day

i'm not back up to 12-14 smokes a day

but the chantrix really did kill all the desire or urge, it was my over-confidence, arrogance. whatever

fwiw
Old 08-09-2019, 01:54 PM

45 people read this but only 1 has an opinion. i find that hard to accept for die hard smokers. Simple question ............... would you quit or go through grotesque painful surgery and take your chances? what if all efforts failed?
Old 08-09-2019, 02:09 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

jeez, you really need help with that? Quit - i went thru heart surgery and surgery is not fun, and the after effects are a pain

like i suggested above, Chantrix worked for me - never thought i'd be able to stop after smoking for 50+ yrs

If you have health insurance, it should cover the cost of the Chantrix - it did for me.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:52 PM

Default Thanks Larry

The VA is giving me OxyCotton in 5mg doses and 2 of those cuts pain enough that I still smoke. That's how addicted I am. They'll give me Chantix if I come for counseling but it makes me nauseous if I don't eat. Pain still enough that after 2 I still cant eat. I'm that F in addicted!!!Smoking is like breathing to me. 2 - 3 packs a day!! I obviously know its time to quit but must quit pre surgery cause I know I'll not be able to tolerate pain once tongue is removed. Thanks Man!!
Old 08-10-2019, 05:05 PM

Aboaultan is an unknown quantity at this point

Answering your question, of course i will, i think I’ll quit even before that. I think maybe I’ll quit at my 50’s, because after that I’m afraid of being susceptible to diseases, even though there are no guarantees of course.
If you don’t mind me asking, how did all of this start ? I’m curious about the idea of getting sick because of smoking, i always thought that there would be some signs before reaching the point where you are really sick. For example, getting throat or chest pain or somthing. So, is there a warning of some kind ?
I hope you will be okay.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:12 AM

jmurray01 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's easy to say "just quit then", but most people who say that don't know the addiction! It's the same as alcoholics who are suffering from liver failure continue to drink.

My advice would be do anything you can to quit, with today's medical intervention I'm sure you can be treated and make a recovery, but if you continue smoking it will almost certainly come back again in another form.

I myself am already somewhat predisposed to esophageal cancer after suffering with GERD for years, but I continue to smoke which will only make those chances greater. I'm not saying it is logical or at all smart, but non-smokers will never understand the reasons why smokers find it so difficult to quit.

For me it isn't a physical addiction but rather psychological, and in a way that's just as bad.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by Aboaultan View Post
Answering your question, of course i will, i think I’ll quit even before that. I think maybe I’ll quit at my 50’s.
I used to tell myself that when I was younger, that I could quit when I was 50 or 55. I'll be 55 in less than two months. I still smoke, and I'm not quitting.

Stagger Lee,
Were you by any chance a user of smokeless tobacco too?
Old 08-11-2019, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jmurray01 View Post

For me it isn't a physical addiction but rather psychological, and in a way that's just as bad.
That was one of the reasons nicotene patches and gum didn't work for me. But
Chantrix seemed to address that need as well. Chantrix claims that it's treatment addresses the receptors in the brain that are "excited" by nicotene, and i accept that assertion. Again, from the age of 15 & 1/2 yrs old to about 2008 i was smoking 2.5 to 3 packs daily. RYO brought that consumption down to about 1 to 1.5 packs daily, so the habit was well ingrained.

It actually took me a 2nd dosage plan with the chantrix to quit as i was worried about the "panic" that would set in when i quit. But the Chantrix seemed to address that as it didn't set in. One trick i used during the 2nd dosage plan, was to reduce my intake every 4 or 5 days, ie 12 smokes for 4 days, then dropping to 10 smokes - and in the last 4 or 5 days i was down to a 1/4 cig every 4 or 5 hours. That was when i noticed i really didn't need another 1/4 cig so i dropped to 1/2 cig the whole day and finally pulled the trigger and stopped altogether

Subconsciously i missed it, and like i said earlier, after 10 or so days without smoking any cigs, i was over confident and took a puff or two a day for a couple of days, and it downhill from there, to the point where my consumption went to 1 cig a day, then 3 etc.

But as to the part where Chantrix asserts that it neutralizes the neuron receptors in the brain that the nicotene triggers, i'll agree - there were no physical cravings for cigs when i quit, it was a deep psychological craving or need to be puffing on a cig.

fwiw

Last edited by larryccf; 08-11-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:03 AM

Aboaultan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
I used to tell myself that when I was younger, that I could quit when I was 50 or 55. I'll be 55 in less than two months. I still smoke, and I'm not quitting.

Stagger Lee,
Were you by any chance a user of smokeless tobacco too?
Yeah i know that might happen, thatís why i said there are no guarantees.
However, i think that there are two advantages that probably will help me. The first is that Iím studying medicine, so soon Iíll face some cases that will make me quit, because i think the dangers are more obvious when you see them happening in front of you. The other reason is that i get easily bored, and canít do the same thing over and over for a long time. Iíve took a lot of breaks from smoking ,some lasted for months, because i got bored of doing it every day and lost the taste for it. Of course I always get back for various reasons, anger, exams, boredom, and the taste.
Also, when you feel healthy and donít complain of any problem, you wont probably quit until you see something.