Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New RYO in Maryland, Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2019, 09:43 AM

cunningja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New RYO in Maryland, Help!

Just getting into RYO, and went to purchase my first tobacco in MD, $44 for 8 oz of tobacco! Is there any way to get around these ridiculous taxes? If i purchase online, am i going to get hit with the taxes because i live in Maryland?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2019, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

What type of tobacco did you buy? Rolling tobacco (Class J) or Pipe tobacco (class L)? Judging from the price you paid for 8 oz., it seems like you must've bought rolling tobacco.

You won't be able to get rolling tobacco shipped to you because of the restrictions from the PACT Act (2009), so looking to buy rolling tobacco online is practically pointless. The only exception is from vendors who have an agreement to collect your state's taxes for it, but then you'd be paying the Maryland taxes anyway. By the way, the PACT Act raised the federal excise tax on rolling tobacco by 2400%! So rolling tobacco is going to be expensive in any state, not just Maryland.

Taxes on Pipe tobacco (Class L) are much lower than Rolling tobacco (Class J). There are many brands of what's known as "dual purpose" Pipe tobacco available. You'll find the best selection of brands from online shops. "Dual Purpose" means it can be smoked in either a cigarette or a pipe -- the tobacco blend is basically what's used in cigarettes, but the tobacco's cut is considered "pipe cut" so that it can be designated as Class L. If you purchase Pipe tobacco online there is a chance you may have to pay Maryland's taxes if the vendor reports the sale to Maryland's tax department. Most vendors don't, but we know of at least one, Windy City Cigars, which does. Some vendors may not be able to ship to certain states -- you'd have to check the fine print at each vendor's website if you're going to purchase online.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-16-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the reply, i bought Gambler cigarette tobacco, not knowing about the difference in taxes. I guess i need to do more research on which pipe tobaccos are best for rolling cigs.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

There you have it!

If you're going to try "dual purpose" pipe tobacco, avoid all brands from Republic Tobacco. They're all lousy. That's not just my opinion, pretty much every active member in this forum is of the same opinion.

Daughters & Ryan has an extensive line of tobacco that is premium quality. Cheapest vendor to buy it from is Pipes & Cigars. The less expensive VPB line is also made by Daughters & Ryan. Rouseco's Golden Harvest brand is also very good, and relatively inexpensive. Cherokee is another brand people here have liked. It's very inexpensive, though there's a reason for it: you'll have to pick out a lot of stems from the tobacco before using. Some here also like OHM, though to my taste most OHM varieties (except OHM Natural) are too heavy on added flavors and OHM Natural is really bland. But you might like OHM.

Many of us will use 2 or more tobaccos to make our own custom blends. For example, my daily blend is Golden Harvest Robust and D&R Windsail blended together. Spend some time reading the threads in the forum. There's a lot of information here (it may take some time, though), including more than a few reviews of different brands of tobacco, and you'll also be able to find ideas about blending too.

Reputable online shops: Pipes & Cigars, Smokers Outlet Online, Tobacco General, BnB Tobacco, Nationalcigar.com, to name a few. Btw, Pipes & Cigars has free shipping on all orders over $49 for this weekend (offer ends 11:59 p.m. Eastern on 3/17).

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-16-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-16-2019, 12:35 PM

Great info, much appreciated! Just ordered 3 lbs online, for the same price that i paid for 8oz at the local shop.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

What did you buy?
Old 03-17-2019, 06:47 AM

Everything suggested was on backorder at Pipes & Cigars, ended up getting Golden harvest red, OHM Turkish red, and OHM Turkish yellow, from SOO.

Last edited by cunningja; 03-17-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, Pipes & Cigars recently had sales on D&R and Cherokee, so that explains the backorder. Golden Harvest Robust (what you're calling Red) is what I use, but I blend it with D&R Windsail -- to me, the two really complement each other. I think you should be satisfied with Golden Harvest, even on its own. OHM Turkish Red has a licorice topping. If you find it's overdone, try blending it with the other tobaccos. OHM Turkish Yellow I've never tried.

If you order from SOO again, you might want to take a look at their plastic cigarette cases.

Last edited by masklofumanto; Yesterday at 02:22 PM.