Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How much are you saving???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 03:51 PM

Boogeyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much are you saving???

I thought I would throw this question out there to see what most people are saving by RYO.I am on my 5th month I believe and my savings are tremendous.
When I started I went a bit overboard buying tobacco and trying out diffent tubes.The shipping cost killed me on numerous orders.I also had the expense of the PM2+.Now that I have setled down on all my purchases here is the breakdown.
I live in Northern Calif.(State of Jefferson) and smoked 2 packs a day of Camel 99s at 8 buck a pop minimum.On a heavy drinking weekend it jumps to 2 1/2 to 3 packs a day.At just 2 pack a day for 30 days,I was spending a minimum of $480 bucks a month on cigarettes alone.My savings with RYO has cut my hobby/habit exspense by $400 bucks.It is like pennies from heaven.400 bucks to "ME" is a significant chunk of money.I do not know what took me so long to get on board.The purchase of the PM2+ has a lot to do with me sticking with RYO I do believe.

Last edited by Boogeyman; 10-09-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:12 PM

scott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to beholdscott62 is a splendid one to behold

Im spending about 15 to 25 percent of what I used to spend on otc cigs now. The best thing I bought was a pm3 injector. I loved the pm2 but this one is even easier to make sticks. The savings and flavor is wonderful.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:53 PM

ChainsmokerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

With the price of cigarettes being $10-$12 a pack..I did the math and I'm saving approximately $115-$120 a week! If I switched to a cheaper tobacco I'd probably save even more
Old 10-09-2018, 08:15 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

I make my own for a total annual cost of less than $300 calculated based on 1 ppd. I hear that smokes cost around $8 per pack in this state which would amount to over $3,000 per year meaning Iím saving about $2,700 per year. I just received an order of 25 lbs of tobacco and 2 cases of tubes for a bit under $500. Thatíll last me nearly 1 1/2 years.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:11 PM

Shandemo will become famous soon enough

I'm in sw Virginia and I was buying a carton every 5-7 days at $38-$40 per carton so I was spending roughly $240+ a month. After recouping the initial cost back of buying the Powermatic 2+.....I'm spending roughly $38 a month with RYO, so a monthly savings of atleast $200. So glad I made the switch months ago, and never looking back to store bought again.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:51 PM

ferraf is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm saving $10 a pack making exactly the same tasting cig from a Marlboro Light 100 at $0.75 a pack from a store rate in Connecticut of $10.75 with tax.

Using the Powermatic III allowing my to make a pack in 3 mins. Bought a second machine and using both get a pack cranked out in 2 mins.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 PM

Shandemo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ferraf View Post
I'm saving $10 a pack making exactly the same tasting cig from a Marlboro Light 100 at $0.75 a pack from a store rate in Connecticut of $10.75 with tax.

Using the Powermatic III allowing my to make a pack in 3 mins. Bought a second machine and using both get a pack cranked out in 2 mins.
You can make a pack in 3 minutes? I have the 2+ and I've never timed myself on 20 cigs before but I feel like it takes a lot longer then 3 minutes for a pack lol.... Maybe if I didn't have to snip the excess tobacoo off the end (I smoke regulars, the machine can make 100s) I could make them a lot faster
Old 10-13-2018, 08:19 PM

ferraf is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes 2 min a pack using an automated machine like the Powermatic III just cranking them out with 2 machines at the same time. The machinesHas density setting and works flawlessly. A carton of 100's takes 25-30 mins from setup to cleanup.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:55 PM

St. Junior is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't quit it completely. But I always try to quit anytime. Though I have decreased the amount of Cig I took every day.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shandemo View Post
You can make a pack in 3 minutes? I have the 2+ and I've never timed myself on 20 cigs before but I feel like it takes a lot longer then 3 minutes for a pack lol.... Maybe if I didn't have to snip the excess tobacoo off the end (I smoke regulars, the machine can make 100s) I could make them a lot faster
Thereís a member her that can hand crank a pack that fast.

Thereís no way I can go that fast with a crank or auto machine.

Fresh choice/revolution/whatever claims a 3 minute pack but thatís impossible with it. At least for me.