Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turkey Shootout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2018, 09:46 PM

Boogeyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Turkey Shootout

Hi guys,I have been hidding in the showdows for the past 4-5 months around here.I have been able to find most answers getting started by using the search engine on this forum.
I started my MYO crusade about 4 months ago.I smoked Camel 99 blue(Light)for years.I knew I was after a trurkish blend and have tried 10 of them so far.The ones I have tried are the Ohm Red and Yellow,Smokin G CFF and CLT,4 aces,Bugler,Stokkebye 84,VPB Yellow,D&R Ramback Gold and Ramback Balkan.There is still 2 that I have not tried.The 2 I have not tried are the Cherokee and the original Ramback.These two will get tried this month sometime I just imagine.If there is others I am not aware of please inlighten me.
Most of the tobaccos were very decent some burned a tad hotter and faster than others and the taste varied quite a bit with some and others were just a tad different.The one that seemed to stand out for "ME" anyways was the VPB Yellow.It was very smooth flavorful and cool smoke.EUREKA I think I found my tobacco.
I found very very little on this as far as reviews went before I bought it.It is kind of an odd duck.It is sold as VPB but the packaging is totally different for the Yellow.The Yellow is vacuumed pack and has a D&R bag and D&R advertising on it. The VBP red that I bought has D&R in very small print on the very bottom of the bag and is totally different bag.It is also priced between D&R and VPB other offerings.
Anyways I thought I would just throw my 2 cents out there.
If you are into turkish tobacco you may want to give this a try.
Taste is subjective so I do not promise anything.YMMV

Last edited by Boogeyman; 09-22-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:17 PM

Just a quick update on my shoot out.As much as I liked the VPB yellow,I went ahead and tried the Cherokee Black and found Kentucky Select also has a turkish blend.Well to sum things up the Cherokee black turkish is sitting ion the top of the heap.It has beaten out the VPB.My seach is over for a turkish blend and the price is very reasonable.I also ran across some Gambler turkish but my seach is most definately over now.YMMV
Old 11-09-2018, 09:52 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Boogeyman View Post
Just a quick update on my shoot out.As much as I liked the VPB yellow,I went ahead and tried the Cherokee Black and found Kentucky Select also has a turkish blend.Well to sum things up the Cherokee black turkish is sitting ion the top of the heap.It has beaten out the VPB.My seach is over for a turkish blend and the price is very reasonable.I also ran across some Gambler turkish but my seach is most definately over now.YMMV
Cherokee Turkish Bold is another option. I have been adding a little Ramback to Cherokee Red instead. Around 7% for me. Too much makes it seem sour. I cannot go without Izmir (Ramback Regular). Everything seems bland without it. I still have half a lb. of Ramback that I have kept in good shape for a year and a half. It needs attention. Too moist and mold is a threat. If it gets too dry it will change for the worse and won't be the same afterwards. It seems to have improved a little over time. A little goe's a long way as long as it is kept well. I have not tried Cherokee Black.

Last edited by DancesWithWerewolves; 11-09-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:22 PM

I believe the Cherokee Black Turkish and the Cherokee Tuurkish Bold are the same animal.I have read where the Cherokkee Black is suppose to be the boldest in their line.I do not percieve it that way.Flaorfull but not as stong as some of the tobacco I have tried.I would consider it more of a medium strength.I do smoke through Hot Rod 100s FF with 25mm filters which may make the percieved strength to be a bit milder.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:48 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

Taking a little time to remove unwanted bits in Cherokee tobaccos makes it notably better. It has become a habit. While I do that, sometimes I can't resist sorting a bit extra of the light colored strands of Cherokee and Ramback to make a citrus-like treat. It is hard to describe but addictive. Of course that leaves me with less of it in the blend so I try to refrain.

Last edited by DancesWithWerewolves; 11-09-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boogeyman View Post

Glad you found something you like. I donít recall ever seeing Vpb yellow. Gonna have to try it when I order next time. Itíll be a while though. Think I have 8-10 pounds left. At a pack a day, thatís like....carry the 1....idk. Months