Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do You Case Your Tobacco?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2018, 10:56 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about
Default Do You Case Your Tobacco?

Iím curious about how many RYO enthusiasts case their tobacco. Iíve been experimenting with both the process and the recipe for several months now and have selected a system that works well for me. My purpose for looking into casing was not to modify the flavor of the tobacco, I prefer it natural, but to add a humectant, to increase adhesion of the tobacco and to reduce the gaps and resulting falling cherries. The recipe I use consists of only 3 ingredients dissolved in water; honey, glycerin and muscovado sugar. I mist the tobacco, bag the tobacco and allow to sit for 3 days before beginning a slow drying process under low heat. I would appreciate discussion.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:03 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

I tried using the citrus based casing on raw Virginia tobaccco. It did make it very slightly less harsh but took away some natural flavor so I stopped using it. It would be a shame to put it on properly aged mellowed tobacco.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

I’ve tried it before with the stuff wlt sells. I didn’t notice anything better than just hydrating the tobacco a tad
Old 09-16-2018, 12:25 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

If you use sugar then that should only be done on the burley tobacco.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:32 AM

Reynard is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Casing RYO in the UK

Hey guys,

I use a fairly bland (Dutch) form of Amber Leaf (Virginia tobacco and Burley) which has very little casing and I like a sweet smoke, so I use these 15ml sprays I get from an online tobacconist:

Worked out about $5.25 a bottle when I converted it. You add 4 sprays to an oz.

The vanilla is probably my favourite

Last edited by Reynard; 09-25-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Chris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud of

The treatments I do canít technically be considered casing but more like topping. I use water coffee and vodka as the carrier and have added a multitude of flavorings. The essential oils and flavoring used in making hard candies work great for this and are really inexpensive. The only limit is imagination.