Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Powermatic 2+ question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 07:23 PM

Shandemo will become famous soon enough
Default Powermatic 2+ question

My new powermatic 2+ came in and it rolls wonderful, but I do notice it gets a lot of excess tobacco sticking out the end of the tube.... Is there a trick to minimize this?

Last edited by Shandemo; 04-10-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Chris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud of

I think the excess tobacco is due to the PM2 being able to stuff 100’s as well as kings. Try not packing the right hand corner with as much tobacco. Or you could just snip the excess off with a pair of scissors.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chris from WV View Post
I think the excess tobacco is due to the PM2 being able to stuff 100ís as well as kings. Try not packing the right hand corner with as much tobacco. Or you could just snip the excess off with a pair of scissors.

That's exactly what I have been doing is just cutting the excess off. I tried a few not packing as much in the right corner but made it too loose at the end so I'll just stick to the cutting it off.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:36 PM

BobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shandemo View Post
That's exactly what I have been doing is just cutting the excess off. I tried a few not packing as much in the right corner but made it too loose at the end so I'll just stick to the cutting it off.
I just pull the end off and then roll the end of the tube over slightly. Keeps Tobacco from falling out.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by BobbyE View Post
I just pull the end off and then roll the end of the tube over slightly. Keeps Tobacco from falling out.

I have that problem a lot, I fill up an air tight plastic container and when I get to the last cigarette I have enough tobacco at the bottom of the container for a whole cigarette. I may have to try that.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:05 PM

mykey is an unknown quantity at this point

My new powermatic 2+ came in and it rolls wonderful, but I do notice it gets a lot of excess tobacco sticking out the end of the tube.... Is there a trick to minimize this?
I am 4 months into my second Powermatic 2 and can honestly say I haven't noticed any type of patterns for properly filling or not having it be tedious and very random. I can do exactly the same thing every time and 20 in a row won't go all the way to the filter and the next 20 get stuck on the machine and end up with an empty tip. I have noticed that when it makes a perfect smoke, it will drop off the end by itself. How to actually make that happen is very much a mystery to me. I do know that every time you jam it, it will get a little louder and a little more erratic until it eventually just makes unsmokable cigarettes. The Powermatic 2 is by far the best machine I have used(I have had 2 Top-o-Matics, a Mikromatic, and a Power Roll 2)but I dread the sight of it. I like to make a full pound in one sitting and that takes over 5 hours with Powermatic 2. I can do it in 1 hour with a Top-o-Matic (and then my hand hurts for a week).
Old 09-02-2018, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by mykey View Post
I am 4 months into my second Powermatic 2 and can honestly say I haven't noticed any type of patterns for properly filling or not having it be tedious and very random. I can do exactly the same thing every time and 20 in a row won't go all the way to the filter and the next 20 get stuck on the machine and end up with an empty tip. I have noticed that when it makes a perfect smoke, it will drop off the end by itself. How to actually make that happen is very much a mystery to me. I do know that every time you jam it, it will get a little louder and a little more erratic until it eventually just makes unsmokable cigarettes. The Powermatic 2 is by far the best machine I have used(I have had 2 Top-o-Matics, a Mikromatic, and a Power Roll 2)but I dread the sight of it. I like to make a full pound in one sitting and that takes over 5 hours with Powermatic 2. I can do it in 1 hour with a Top-o-Matic (and then my hand hurts for a week).
I dont have any real complaints about mine. 98% of the time it rolls a basically perfect smokes... It jams up occasionally due to me packing too much tobacco in and there is a few times once I release the cig it'll pull the tobacco out of the tip.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:06 AM

mykey is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont have any real complaints about mine. 98% of the time it rolls a basically perfect smokes... It jams up occasionally due to me packing too much tobacco in and there is a few times once I release the cig it'll pull the tobacco out of the tip.
That 98% will slowly drop. One tip I can give is to always pull the handle up before you try to pull the cigarette off. It will greatly increase the chance of not pulling out the end bit.
The Powermatic 2 is great for the first 4 or 5 thousand but those jams start to affect it. There have been many times I noticed an immediate difference after clearing a jam. My first one lasted for about 15,000 cigarettes. About 3 times as many as any other machine I have used. My second one has recently started ripping a little piece of the tube off. I just got it in May but I'm around 4,000 on it. The only way to prevent the jams is to not use any tobacco that is even close to powdery. I have made enough to be able to get away with it most times but you will end up jamming it no matter how good you are at it. I would recommend throwing out any tobacco that is not fresh and "long". It might add up to a couple packs per pound but can drastically increase the life of your machine. If you can't bear to throw it out, mix it in with the good stuff. One pinch of powder per smoke usually works for me but try it at your own risk. I was finally lucky enough to find a Powermatic 3 today so hopefully 2 will soon be back in it's box and long forgotten.