Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Making Menthols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 04:41 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about
Default Making Menthols

I donít smoke menthol cigarettes but my daughter does and Iím looking to introduce her to MYO plus add a little quality to her smokes at a much lower cost. Iíve been reading a bit on menthols and as usual Iím confused and have learned just enough to screw it all up. There seems to be two approaches to making the smokes; either add crystals to the tobacco or use mentholated tubes. Or do you use both? Would someone familiar with the process please educate me? She currently smokes a mentholated Marlboro if that makes any difference.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
I don’t smoke menthol cigarettes but my daughter does and I’m looking to introduce her to MYO plus add a little quality to her smokes at a much lower cost. I’ve been reading a bit on menthols and as usual I’m confused and have learned just enough to screw it all up. There seems to be two approaches to making the smokes; either add crystals to the tobacco or use mentholated tubes. Or do you use both? Would someone familiar with the process please educate me? She currently smokes a mentholated Marlboro if that makes any difference.
Mentholated tubes may lose their potency with shelf life. If you go that route, don't buy too many boxes all at once. I don't know much about menthol crystals. I would think using both would be too potent. Since you're using whole leaf tobacco, I suppose processed menthol tobacco isn't an option. If you're willing to consider it, Kendal Gold Menthol is good quality, but it's also expensive.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 10-06-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:02 PM

DaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura aboutDaveM has a spectacular aura about

I agree, using both tubes & crystals would be too potent. Iím thinking Iíll buy her a carton of the mentholated tubes to get her started then mix a small batch of a milder blend to see how she likes it. Iíve got a little mini to loan her for a while. Yeah, I know in Dad speak that means give her but Iíll just go out and buy another for me to carry on my motorcycle travels.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:47 PM
Banned

burge is infamous around these partsburge is infamous around these partsburge is infamous around these parts

Zig used crystals. Try it out first then see what she likes.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

I tried those crystals once. I put them in a small container inside another container that had tobacco in it. I left it there for a few days and that was some potent crap. I threw all of it away and don’t plan to try again
Old 10-07-2017, 01:58 AM

Phil, that describes my concern with using crystals perfectly. I have no idea as to the dosage, timing, etc. and since I wonít be the one smoking them the trial and error approach wonít work. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-07-2017, 02:57 AM

LuvFemSmkr is on a distinguished road

Here is a thread posted here back in 2011 about how to make your own menthols.

https://www.cigreviews.com/forums/ryo-roll-your-own-cigarettes/1205-how-make-your-own-menthol-tobacco.html
Old 10-07-2017, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
Phil, that describes my concern with using crystals perfectly. I have no idea as to the dosage, timing, etc. and since I wonít be the one smoking them the trial and error approach wonít work. Thanks everyone!
I only smoke menthol when Iím sick and shouldnít be smoking anyway. That usually happens once, maybe twice a year.

D&r wintergold is crap imo

G&h kg menthol is too expensive to sit on until Iím sick and Iíve never tried it for this reason. Maybe it sucks, maybe itís omg yummy, Iíll never know. (But...if I smoked menthol Iíd bet money on this one. Roughly $2 a pack )

Crystals. Never again

Next time im sick, Iíll just buy Marlboro smooths. I actually like the flavor. Candy like. Idk.