Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Blending.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 12:24 AM

Menteerio is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the pretzel jar idea. I may mix some Turkish with the ohm bold I got. I also got some wind sail I will try by itself. I now have 4 lbs of different types and will be experimenting with all sort of fun. Bought enough to make sure I don’t run out again. ( anytime soon )
Old 10-05-2017, 01:13 AM
Banned

burge is infamous around these partsburge is infamous around these partsburge is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by DancesWithWerewolves View Post
OHM tobacco has flattened out cross-cut pieces of stem that annoy me. It is another habit I have to try to remove as many as possible. The stems are cut and steamed then rolled out flat. I dont see why they are included if they have to go thru that process. Also you may find lumps of topping in it. You dont want to smoke that. Otherwise it is good tobacco.
That sounds like expanded stem.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Originally Posted by burge View Post
That sounds like expanded stem.

It’s not expanded
Old 10-05-2017, 05:16 AM
Banned

burge is infamous around these partsburge is infamous around these partsburge is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by ohiophil View Post
It’s not expanded
Well when stems are flattened and steamed that is process of expanded stem.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Originally Posted by burge View Post
Well when stems are flattened and steamed that is process of expanded stem.
Whatever. They added stems to the tobacco like you suggest anyway. And ohm is not “blow up tobacco” as you call it
Old 10-05-2017, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

"Expanded tobacco" and "expanded stem" are not synonymous.

From British-American Tobacco:

Expanded Tobacco: Cut tobacco can be expanded to reduce the mass of tobacco burnt in a cigarette. The expansion processes are similar to those used to make puffed rice snack food. The process we use is called dry-ice expanded tobacco (DIET) and involves permeating the tobacco leaf structure with liquid carbon dioxide before warming. The resulting carbon dioxide gas forces the tobacco to expand. Many tobacco brands with low ISO tar yields will use some proportion of expanded tobacco in the overall blend.

Expanded Tobacco Stem: Expanded porous tobacco stems with a low apparent density and an excellent quality of smoking taste are obtained by heating under a pressurized atmosphere tobacco stems separated from tobacco leaves, as such or after moisturization, at a temperature of 150° to 300° C. and a pressure of 3 kg/cm2 (gage) or more in the presence of superheated steam for a period of 30 seconds or less and suddenly releasing the pressure to effect expansion of the stems. The resulting expanded stems are shredded into cut tobacco stems or made into reconstituted tobacco sheet to provide a tobacco material of excellent filling capacity.

While were on the subject, also from BAT: Reconstituted tobacco: The manufacturing process produces some tobacco dust. This dust can be collected and reconstituted as tobacco sheet. A small portion of reconstituted tobacco may be added to the tobacco blend.

And on Tobacco Leaf Position: One tobacco plant can produce several grades of leaf. The sensory, physical, chemical and visual properties of a tobacco grade are generally determined by the leaf position on the plant. For example, the leaves at the top of the plant are more exposed to the sun than the ones at the bottom and typically contain higher levels of nicotine and other alkaloids.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
"Expanded tobacco" and "expanded stem" are not synonymous.

From British-American Tobacco:

Expanded Tobacco: Cut tobacco can be expanded to reduce the mass of tobacco burnt in a cigarette. The expansion processes are similar to those used to make puffed rice snack food. The process we use is called dry-ice expanded tobacco (DIET) and involves permeating the tobacco leaf structure with liquid carbon dioxide before warming. The resulting carbon dioxide gas forces the tobacco to expand. Many tobacco brands with low ISO tar yields will use some proportion of expanded tobacco in the overall blend.

Expanded Tobacco Stem: Expanded porous tobacco stems with a low apparent density and an excellent quality of smoking taste are obtained by heating under a pressurized atmosphere tobacco stems separated from tobacco leaves, as such or after moisturization, at a temperature of 150° to 300° C. and a pressure of 3 kg/cm2 (gage) or more in the presence of superheated steam for a period of 30 seconds or less and suddenly releasing the pressure to effect expansion of the stems. The resulting expanded stems are shredded into cut tobacco stems or made into reconstituted tobacco sheet to provide a tobacco material of excellent filling capacity.

While were on the subject, also from BAT: Reconstituted tobacco: The manufacturing process produces some tobacco dust. This dust can be collected and reconstituted as tobacco sheet. A small portion of reconstituted tobacco may be added to the tobacco blend.

And on Tobacco Leaf Position: One tobacco plant can produce several grades of leaf. The sensory, physical, chemical and visual properties of a tobacco grade are generally determined by the leaf position on the plant. For example, the leaves at the top of the plant are more exposed to the sun than the ones at the bottom and typically contain higher levels of nicotine and other alkaloids.

Ah. Makes sense. Thanks

The reconstituted crap is ridiculous. There must be a lot of dust to make it worth while. If I remember the ammonia article correctly, they ammoniate that stuff to stick it together
Old 10-05-2017, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Ah. Makes sense. Thanks

The reconstituted crap is ridiculous. There must be a lot of dust to make it worth while. If I remember the ammonia article correctly, they ammoniate that stuff to stick it together
I believe (I recall reading about it some time ago) that they ammoniate the reconstituted tobacco sheet to make it palatable.

It's about cost control. In the last forty years the percentage of reconstituted tobacco in cigarettes has risen dramatically. Ditto for expanded tobacco (which also, as BAT explained, helps in achieving lower tar and nicotine yields, but also burns faster, for obvious reasons).

Last edited by masklofumanto; 10-05-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.aircodiet.com/images/AIRCO_DIET_Process_Description.pdf

This is how at least some expand the tobacco. Maybe all. Idk. Pretty ingenious really.

Take a pound of tobacco and make it look bigger. Use less to stuff and pay less taxes. Consumer smokes more because of less tobacco. Bam. Cha Ching
Old 10-05-2017, 07:12 AM
Banned

http://www.aircodiet.com/images/AIRCO_DIET_Process_Description.pdf

This is how at least some expand the tobacco. Maybe all. Idk. Pretty ingenious really.

Take a pound of tobacco and make it look bigger. Use less to stuff and pay less taxes. Consumer smokes more because of less tobacco. Bam. Cha Ching
It tastes gross. Canada its all that way due to tobacco taxes. You have a smoke and literally 2 puffs and its done. The tobacco looks blanched. Players had a 25% more and Export A had a 50% more that I used to buy. On a stronger nicotine tobacco it was okay. Then found a way to get tobacco to me after a couple of years of getting tired of blow up tobacco.