Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Home flue cured

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2017, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Chris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud of
Default Home flue cured

I am thinking about trying to simulate flue cured tobacco with my smoker. I'm thinking of using some very bland Virginia that I can get very cheap. Am I completely out of my mind for trying this or will it actually work? Does anyone have any suggestions as to the type of wood I should use? I'm thinking a "cook" time of no more than 45 minutes at around 225F and of course I plan on rehydration after. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chris from WV View Post
I am thinking about trying to simulate flue cured tobacco with my smoker. I'm thinking of using some very bland Virginia that I can get very cheap. Am I completely out of my mind for trying this or will it actually work? Does anyone have any suggestions as to the type of wood I should use? I'm thinking a "cook" time of no more than 45 minutes at around 225F and of course I plan on rehydration after. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You may want to look into it further before you dive in. I'm going out on a limb here...but you're gonna end up with a campfire taste. Blech.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:49 AM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

I think it would be more.like fire-cured snd taste like bbq. Flue cured tobacco does not directly contact the smoke does it?
Old 09-21-2017, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DancesWithWerewolves View Post
Flue cured tobacco does not directly contact the smoke does it?
No, it doesn't. And modern systems use gas fueled or electric systems.

Flue-cured tobacco was originally strung onto tobacco sticks, which were hung from tier-poles in curing barns. These barns have flues which run from externally fed fire boxes, heat-curing the tobacco without exposing it to smoke, slowly raising the temperature over the course of the curing. In the 1960s conversion to gas fueled systems such as the Gastobac Burner System was common. The process will generally take about a week. This method produces tobacco that is high in sugar and has medium to high levels of nicotine. The Smith Tobacco Barn is an example of a traditional, flue-cured tobacco barn.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Iirc some people cure in a cooler that's been rigged up. I don't recall how it works
Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Chris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud ofChris from WV has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ohiophil View Post
Iirc some people cure in a cooler that's been rigged up. I don't recall how it works
I have an indirect smoker, the fire box is a seperate chamber. Jam going to use pear wood. For meat pear is considered a " light" smoking wood. I plan on using half a pound of tobacco, if it's a complete failure I won't be out a whole lot. Besides I can't think of another topping I want to try.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

I have an indirect smoker, the fire box is a seperate chamber. Jam going to use pear wood. For meat pear is considered a " light" smoking wood. I plan on using half a pound of tobacco, if it's a complete failure I won't be out a whole lot. Besides I can't think of another topping I want to try.
It's worth a shot.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:16 PM

BobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really nice

If you use a smoker you will get the rybeck / Kentucky type taste. Witch is ok in small amounts. Unless you are like mask.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BobbyE View Post
Unless you are like mask.
Or Phil, btw.

Chris,
Even if it works out, bear in mind that flue curing is a process that takes a week. Will your smoker be able to do in 45 minutes (as you said) what takes a week in flue-curing barn? Another question: have you considered sun curing? That's generally how Oriental tobacco is cured, though it results in relatively low nicotine.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 09-21-2017 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BobbyE View Post
If you use a smoker you will get the rybeck / Kentucky type taste. Witch is ok in small amounts. Unless you are like mask.

Campfire cigarettes suck.