Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

info that might serve some

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2017, 10:12 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all
Default info that might serve some

or an idea for sourcing an inexpensive electric motor

the makita angle drill didn't have the "oomph" (technical term) the shredder needed - bigger issue was the angle drill was turning at 800 rpm which was too fast (most seem to recommend 200 rpm), but turning that fast would cause jams as the leaf was drawn into the cutters, then it didn't have the torque to muscle thru the jam

went looking for geared motors, holy moly, besides the fact 110V units are far & few between, they're way too expensive for the application ($300 - $500 or more).

So went looking for 110V electric motors - same thing, pricing is way too high $250 to $400, even at northerntool.com)

then it hit me, i've got a bench sander in the shop we haven't used for awhile, and it's got a 110V 3/4 hp motor already wired with a plug and a rocker switch. Went to read the specs on the label, 1475 rpm, which means it'll be a little easier to reduce down to 200 rpm (most 110v motors are either 1750 or 3500 rpm).

That little bench sander was a cheap chinese Harbor Freight bench top belt sander we had bought for a one time job, that was meant to be disposable - ie thrown away after the job. But then we needed to polish 10,000 thread protectors so i took it over to the machine shop and had them make me adaptors to put on the shaft were the disc sanding plate mounted. They liked it so much they asked where i'd gotten it - and i mean the thing is the cheapest stamped steel chassis i'd ever seen.

I've had that thing now for close to 20 years and it's still going strong - the rocker switch had to be replaced but other than that, no issues.

And what's crazy, the new gen, with more features and better looking build quality of that sander is still only $65 at harbor freight ( http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-x-36-inch-belt-6-inch-disc-sander-97181.html )

which brings to frigging wonder, why are electric motors so expensive?

and almost forgot, the belt sander motor had a small 1.5" pulley on it's shaft, so all i needed was a 10" pulley
which will also serve if / when the shredder jams as i can use that large pulley to turn the shredder backwards

Last edited by larryccf; 01-19-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:20 AM
Banned

burge is infamous around these partsburge is infamous around these partsburge is infamous around these parts

Ask brown thumb. It should be okay with a rotary sander.