Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Cigarette Injectors - What works best?

Cigarette Injectors - What works best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 04:24 PM

wipeout97 is on a distinguished road
Default Cigarette Injectors - What works best?

To me the Top-O-Matic wins hands down while used properly. You can easily pack 20 cigarettes in 3-4 minutes and the machine with often last 10 years when maintained.

What does everyone else use?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 PM

Goshawk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

...just got the Top-O-Matic T2 and so far it is smooth!!...
Old 11-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Arnie is on a distinguished road

My first purchase was a TOM (chrome) and it was great until an e-clip came off one of the pins/shafts.

Since it was under warranty I was ready to send it in for repair and then discovered the cost to mail it plus the $12.50 they charge for return freight was almost exactly 1/2 what I paid for it. So, buy a new one or repair the old one?

I am shopping for a tool that will reinstall the clip. It has to be at a 45 degree angle due to placement and those are pricey, otherwise I could get a 3-piece tool set for a shade under $30 delivered.

The TOM is a good machine and makes good sticks. I purchased a Premier (the better one) after the breakage of the TOM and was sorely disappointed in the sticks it made but it is a smooth operating machine. Pack it loose or pack it tight, it cranks smoothly. But that's the only good thing I can say about it. Then I purchased a Laramie and that makes a perfect stick for me (after some experimentation). With the Laramie, ragging the pipe tobacco is not necessary. Just pack the filter end only (to insure no gap) and you can fill the hopper with uncut (unragged) tobacco and use no pressure or very slight pressure using only the back side of your little finger (to insure an even fill) and it makes a good stick.

Another thing I like about the Laramie is that it has no rubber mat and it is self-cleaning. It has rubber molded at the 4 corners so it stays put where placed. I do suggest that before first use and once a month after that give it a very light spray of WD-40 or your choice of lube to the underside. Then it works as smooth as any machine out there. As to self-cleaning - no tobacco sticks to it anywhere unlike TOM and Premier where tobacco sticks in places. It is almost like teflon but there is none.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:31 PM

barfly is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

I got the Premier Super-matic injector machine a year ago. Have not had any problems except the patience and learning curve which I believe I have mastered. My daily ritual at varying times takes about 10 minutes to get it ready, make 18-20 cigarettes out of "The Good Stuff" Pipe tobacco, load the cigarette pack and bitch slap it and finally, clean up and put it all away. I hope this machine lasts 10 years but I doubt it will. It could though. I got this MYO thing down pretty good. Pipe tobacco seems to be the same almost as cigarette tobacco too IMHO.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM

Arnie is on a distinguished road

There is absolutely ZERO difference between cigarette and pipe tobacco except for the way it is cut when it starts out.

Same plants, same farms, same curing, same everything.

Retail pipe tobacco, when finally finished, will more than likely have flavorings added. Pipe tobacco sold by companies who cater to the MYO/RYO folks mostly sell the unflavored tobacco which is suitable for cigarette use. Always check the ads and if you are unsure, ASK!

Finished pipe tobacco sometimes will have a few additives aside from flavoring depending on country of origin as well as the manufacturer/processor. Generally they are the expensive brands which can cost as much or more than fully taxed cigarette tobacco which is a dead giveaway of adulterated tobacco.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:34 AM
Entry Member

RudeDog2020 is on a distinguished road

Best machine I would say Fresh Choice.
About a year ago a friend and I went to store to buy BBQ stuff and I picked a carton of smokes and he was shocked at the price of 50 some bucks. The following week be brought me a box of tube,Bag of tobacco and a POS hand injector.I could not work that thing to save my life so I bought a top O ma tic Injector now this machine is slick its all metal with handle on top. the Crank seems to positioned just right with the proper length.
About a month ago I bought the Fresh Choice Mach and this things rocks........
Its fast,Easy and Less mess to clean up.The only learning curve is moisture other than that put a tube on push the button.It does have a compaction knob on it that does work.The reason I bought this machine is that my wife and I both smoke almost a pack a day and I like to sit down and crank out a carton for the week
Old 11-21-2010, 06:53 PM

gatrman56 is on a distinguished road
Default Top T-2matic

I got this about 3 weeks ago, and I'll say
it's the finest machine around. I have rolled appox.
2 cartons and not a hitch..I have an air compressor
so I can blow it clean and use a little vaseline and
she's all set for next use..Paid $40 for it then got $10
in coupons so actually pd. 30 total.....
I'll keep rollin cause I'll never pay $6 bucks for a
pack..Next year I'm gonna harvest my 1st tobacco
crop also.....
KEEP EM ROLLIN GANG !!!! Oh by the way ,
I'm an old geyser 54 old but feel 27....
gatrman56
Old 07-09-2012, 02:26 AM

datella is on a distinguished road

I have three injectors that are now basically dust collectors.

I know it's not popular, but my favorite way to make absolutely perfect cigarettes is with a slide injector.
The two I use are the Gizeh silver tip extra for my shorts, and the Premier supermatic (slide of course) for kings.
They may not be the fastest, but I make a cigarette that is uniform from filter, to the tip.

With both cranks, and electric, they can be finicky resulting in smokes not completely packed, and uniform.

I've given up on the expensive, so called better injectors and I am now a happy camper with the simple, yet great slide injectors.

I also really like the exp1000!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:30 AM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all
Default i'm still fairly new to RYO but

i've got two machines, a powermatic II and the new powermatic I

the powermatic II (electric) works well, with one complaint - 1-3 cigs out of pack, it'll tear a small patch of the tube out, where the pincher pad presses the tube against the injector nozzle. I know overly moist tobacco or overstuffing will cause that, but it does it with what seems to be correct moisture content tobacco and not overstuffedd sticks. But was fairly easy to climb the learning curve on - i'd packed about 20-22 cartons when it went south - something electical caused the injector spoon to cycle on it's own - if you bumped it, it would cycle, if you lifted the handle, it would cycle, then heard something loose rattling around inside it, so i sent it in for warranty svc. But for $78 shipped (amazon) it's a nice little machine (and i miss it - it's still at the mothership being fixed).

Bought a Powermatic I (the new design they just released while the PII is being fixed), and got to say, it's as smooth as anything i could have imagined it being.

Learning curve on this machine's "nuances" was relatively short - and seems to tolerate a wide range of cuts and moisture content and still throw great sticks. Because of the longer handle and the straight line pull, it's actually easier to operate than the PII (remember on both the handle operates the cutter / compression head), and am actually thinking to stay with the PI and relegate the PII to standby status when it comes home. I crank out about 3 cigs a minute, without racing, so about 6 minutes a pack.

Oddly, the PI has not torn the first tube yet (3-4 cartons), no matter how moist or how overstuffed the compression trough is. My only "complaint" with the PI, it seems to be messier operating than the PII - a) there's no catch tray to catch cigs as they drop and to catch any tobacco debris, and b) the hopper is much smaller, it holds enough to do maybe 3-4 cigs max, and if you filll it to the 4 cig capacity, tobacco in the hopper will fall or "walk" off the back side of the machine while operating the handle. But at $63 shipped (again, amazon) it's looking like it's going to be my primary machine.

your mileage may vary

Last edited by larryccf; 07-09-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Chief Smoker will become famous soon enough
Default Powermatic II

Just got my mine today - LOVE it - works great and is much easier than the hand helds.

Last edited by Chief Smoker; 07-09-2012 at 09:37 AM.