Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Powermatic Manual Injector Problems & What is the Fastest Injector

Powermatic Manual Injector Problems & What is the Fastest Injector

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2015, 05:20 PM

VKH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Powermatic Manual Injector Problems & What is the Fastest Injector

I have been having a lot of trouble with the powermatic manual injector. It takes me about 45 minutes to make a pack. Also, when I get to the end of the bag of tobacco and it is powdery, there either is a little space between the filter and tobacco, it only fills slightly and pushes the tube out. All in all, I came here to look for tips for using the injector I have and to find out if there is a hopper injector that allows me to just pour tobacco in the top and not worry about filling the chamber because it will do it automatically.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

the tobacco powder won't ever make a good smoke. Not in any machine. You can try to drizzle it in a little at a time to use it up, but i personally grow it out. It's not worth the hassle to me.

As for the best, fastest machine ... Its the ~$500 jgt machine.

This one is for you mask....
Old 11-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Practically any injector is going to have the problems you describe if you are trying to stuff tobacco dust. If you don't want to throw out the "shake" at the bottom of a bag, then at least mix it with fresh tobacco from a newly opened bag.

About which machine is the fastest, the answer is easy: the Fresh Choice machine (new models are now called the Just Good Tobacco machine). But you pay for the speed. A brand new machine retails for $499, though it will ship for free. You might be able to find a used machine for about $250. Another member of this forum has a used machine that he's willing to sell for less than that (I forgot his price, but I'm sure he'll chime in after he reads this), but it needs refurbishing. The manufacturer charges $100 to refurbish, return shipping from California will be free (the machine weighs 13 lbs., so shipping at the USPS cheapest rate will cost about $35 from the East Coast). An alternative to the $100 charge that the manufacturer offers is buying 5 lbs. of their tobacco and 12 boxes of their filter tubes; the refurbishing will be free with free return shipping, the tobacco and tubes will also ship for free.

Edit: Ohio's post beat me to it! He posted while I was still writing, but then I gave the full details.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 11-04-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:49 PM

That's good to know that it's not a problem with how I am operating the injector. I now have two more questions. Is the speed at which I am making a pack normal? Second, that injector is really neat and I'll look into it when I have the money, but I'm looking for more under $200 and hopefully, under $100.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by VKH View Post
That's good to know that it's not a problem with how I am operating the injector. I now have two more questions. Is the speed at which I am making a pack normal? Second, that injector is really neat and I'll look into it when I have the money, but I'm looking for more under $200 and hopefully, under $100.
45 minutes to make 20 cigarettes is PAINFULLY slow (and I thought I was slow!). If your second question is about the Fresh Choice (a.k.a. JGT), you will never find it for under $100. I recall that wbealsd's offer was under $200, but it will need to be sent to California for refurbishing. On the plus side, once refurbished, it'll be just like new, and those things are built like tanks. The company's customer service is very good.

P.S. The company advertises that the Fresh Choice machine will make a pack in two minutes. While I think that is within the realm of possibility, I think "real world" experience isn't quite that fast. And if you are a neatness freak and perfectionist like me, it certainly won't be that fast. But it will be faster than anything else on the market.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 11-04-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
45 minutes to make 20 cigarettes is PAINFULLY slow (and I thought I was slow). If your second question is about the Fresh Choice (a.k.a. JGT), you will never find it for under $100. I recall that wbealsd's offer was under $200, but it will need to be sent to California for refurbishing. On the plus side, once refurbished, it'll be just like new, and those things are built like tanks. The company's customer service is very good.
Well is there anything I can do to speed up the process? I am not necessarily referring to the fresh choice you both mentioned. Just any machine that automatic fills the chamber. Filling the chamber is what I am "painfully slow" at
Old 11-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

A machine with a big hopper, like the Zen SuperShooter, might be more suited to you, given that what slows you down is packing the chamber. But the Fresh Choice is really your best bet, because the machine does the packing, not the operator. You just fill the internal hopper and manually place the filter tubes onto the nozzle (and push a button). So far as I know, the Fresh Choice is the only machine that automatically fills the chamber.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

I use the powermatic 2+ machine. It can be had for around $65 on multiple websites. The hopper isn't huge, but it holds enough tobacco to make 6-8 smokes without makin a mess. It's fairly quick compared to manual machines and easy to operate. Just shove some tobacco in the chute and press in on the corners with your fingers. Then flip a lever and you're done.

It doesn't come close to comparing to the jgt machine, but for the money it costs, I am completely satisfied. ( for now )

You can make snus out of your dust. There's recipes all over the net.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Curious... Why does it take you so long to put tobacco in the chamber? Are you getting every strand of baccy completely down inside it, or something? The machines are pretty forgiving. Just put some in, give it a quick press on the edges and inject. The machine will cut off the excess that might be sticking out.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:37 PM

ptrsen01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an older Powermatic manual and also the newer one with the gear improvement. The old one is down due to having to change the gear quite often. The new one is working great. I also have the P2 electric. I make a pack with all three in about 5 minutes. I am pretty careful about not using the powder or "shake". Tobacco is so cheap that I don't have a problem tossing 5-10% of the bag. The top of the bag will pack a little different than the lower portions so you may have to adjust a little. Have been making cigs for 2-3 years and still learn little tricks. I tapped into the forum quite often when I started and received LOTS of help.