Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Desperado Gold All Natural tobacco

Desperado Gold All Natural tobacco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2015, 11:11 AM

larryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of light
Default Desperado Gold All Natural tobacco

been rolling this tobacco for the family now ever since buying the fresh choice machine - i originally tried it because of comments online about it and the fact that using it helps keep the fresh choice or Just Good Tobacco machine's lifetime warranty in force

I liked it - i actually think of it as a poor man's G&H kendal gold, it's that pleasant and mild of a tobacco. But i've got one complaint - i have never seen a tobacco that each bag contains so much dust. Danceswithwerewolves comment in another thread about sifting his tobacco reminded me. I sift it when i first open the bag before dumping it into a large 2 gallon tupperware, to let it dry before stuffing. I typically get 2 to 3 ounces, literally, per 16 oz bag. No other tobacco gives me that much dust - and i assumed initially i had gotten a batch with tobacco beetles but 2-3 years later, i'm consistently getting that amount of dust.

It's got me wondering, is this the reason other mfgrs sell 14 oz bags - they've pre-screened or sifted the tobacco and worked out 14 ounces sifted = 16 ounces of what went into their machine before cutting, shredding etc

at the same time, the Gawith & Hoggarth Kendal Gold never has any dust, and rarely even a "stick" that needs removing.

okay, rant switch off and elvis is leaving the building

Last edited by larryccf; 08-15-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
It's got me wondering, is this the reason other mfgrs sell 14 oz bags - they've pre-screened or sifted the tobacco and worked out 14 ounces sifted = 16 ounces of what went into their machine before cutting, shredding, etc.
I doubt it. I think the reason why D&R, for example, sells 14 oz. bags is because that equal two cartons of cigarettes -- despite their disclaimer about their products being intended only for use in a pipe (for legal reasons, undoubtedly).

By the way, I didn't notice Desperado Robust having as much dust as you claim Desperado Gold has, but it did have lots of teeny tiny stems.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 08-15-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:34 PM

larryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of light

i just opened a bag yesterday - took about 1/5th of the bag and dumped on the sifting screen - each time i had enough dust to fill both hands cupped together

i didn't weigh it but it had to be awfully close to 3 ounces

reason i suspected what i suggested about the 14 oz vs 16 oz bag, this is the only stuff that, for me anyway, has had that much dust predictably - i've saved all my rcpts and my first purchase was early 2013. I'd been meaning to post about this for a long time, and it was only Danceswithwerewolves' post that reminded me
Old 08-15-2015, 11:09 PM

BobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really nice

The last couple of orders D&R is now 16oz.. At least the Penhooker is
Old 08-18-2015, 04:39 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

I noticed that in pipesandcigars mail advertisement. All were marked 16 oz. not just Penhooker. I assumed it was a typo at the time.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:17 PM

just opened and sifted another bag of desperado gold - and here's the snuff / dust that sifted out from a 16 oz bag - the pile is just shy of 3" tall in the center, and that's an 8.5 x 11" sheet of paper so you can scale the size for yourself

and to put it in perspective, that's 4-5 times as much dust that i get from Smoking G's tobacco and 1839 - i've been alternating the desperado gold and one of the others, trying to use them up. But even when i stuffed a number of other value blends i never saw that much dust from a bag - on a bad day, maybe half that but only from a few bags over 2-3 years

Last edited by larryccf; 09-20-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:32 PM

bustah will become famous soon enoughbustah will become famous soon enough

That is some crazy amount, looks like it was crumbled from being dried up. I didn't have much when I ordered mine from RYO. However, that was my one and only bag that I ever ordered.

P.S. Btw ZICO tubes 5 carton bundle is back on Amazon for $16.99 with prime.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

Do you do anything with the dust you sift out? There's very little in the d&r tobacco I've been getting and I just mix it in and stuff it.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Do you do anything with the dust you sift out? There's very little in the d&r tobacco I've been getting and I just mix it in and stuff it.
Just throw it out - i'm not into snuff

at the other end of the spectrum, with G&H Kendal Gold, i get absolutely zero dust - but remember it comes pretty damp ( i suspect so they can compress it the way they do, into a brick, without suffering dust issues
Old 09-21-2015, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

ohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really niceohiophil is just really nice

I bet you (or anyone ) would be pissed if you got that much dust out of g&h.