Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Original TOM or Powermatic 1???

Original TOM or Powermatic 1???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2014, 04:13 PM

JSchubert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Original TOM or Powermatic 1???

I've researched them both to death. I've read reviews on RYO forums, Amazon, Ebay, and any other reviews Google pointed me to. I've read hundreds and hundreds of reviews on both machines. Yes, really.

Of the people here, (with more than 10 posts), I see ojsglove, BobbyE, larryccf, wbealsd, and ptrsen01 use, or have used, the Powermatic 1, and have had excellent luck with them. Are your opinions of this machine still good?

I'm concerned that individual replacement parts are not advertised for sale online for the P1...are they?

Ptrsen01, you said you called them and were able to order parts? Did you call Zico USA or Prestige Import Group? It may be helpful to many people here if you provided the phone number you called.

I sent a message today via powermaticinjector.com asking if they offer repair or replacement parts for their machines. I will update here when I find out...

Also, I will be injecting 100's. Some say the P1 will not do 100's, but I believe one of the people mentioned above says it does them just fine.

I've also seen many people here recommend the Top-o-matic 1. I see replacement parts are readily available. The site I just checked has 30 different replacement parts just for the TOM. I'm tempted to send that place an email to see if they plan on offering Powermatic parts.

I would much rather take the advice from a RYO/MYO forum than that of Amazon, etc. I would trust the reviews of people that have used the machines on a "long term" use vs a "single hit" Amazon review.

It's taken me a long time to narrow it down to these 2...

So, help me (and hopefully others here) decide, if you had to choose, Top-o-matic 1, or Powermatic 1?

Thanks!

P.S. In the meantime I'm using a Top Premium slide injector. I gave up on my beat up Shargio....At least it was free.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:59 PM

BobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really niceBobbyE is just really nice

I have been useing my P1 as a backup to my P2 for two years now and could not be happier, I also have a top-o-Matic and it works fine also. I have not tried the 100's on either machine. The P1 is more ergonomic in its use, a bad shoulder makes the top really uncomfortable for me.

Another thing for me is I don't like to be like everyone else and I try different things. I guess I'm a non-conformist.

So good luck with whatever you decide on either one should be fine. Hell with what you are saving on store bought smokes, get one of each!
Old 12-24-2014, 10:17 PM

bustah will become famous soon enoughbustah will become famous soon enough

Without a doubt any crank style injector will be better than a manual slider.
If you're looking for the best bang for bucks it would be the TOM (unless you can find a P1 for similar price). The price ranges from $30-$40 for a TOM. I have been using it for a few years now without a problem. There are times when the screws nuts on the handle might come loose which you can easily fix yourself. As long as you clean the chamber residue frequently and don't abuse it by over stuffing, it will last a long time. For the offered price, I would just suggest you to replace the whole thing without the need to repair it.

The P1 and TOM will both handle 100s easily. At the end it is down to the preference of the handle and cost you prefer. The P1 cost about $47 shipped on ebay. I would definitely say go with whatever you can find cheaper. P1 and TOM is both a really solid injector.

If you're a heavy smoker or need to inject in large quantities within one session (several packs or by cartons), I would suggest you to go with an electric injector. I usually smoke about a pack or less a day now so I am fine with cranking daily for fresh sticks. I believe a lot of people inject by cartons or several packs a day which is more time consuming. It may put quite a bit of stress on your wrist/arm throughout time from excessive cranking.

Last edited by bustah; 12-24-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:17 PM

wbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nice

Just my personal preference, but I'm really happy with the TOM. Don't overstuff and make a firm, smooth stroke once you feel the lever "catch" about half-way through and you get nice firm smokes without any real wear & tear on the machine.

I agree with Bustah, it's probably not what you want if you're going to stuff cartons at a time, but if you stuff a pack or two a day it's great!
Old 12-26-2014, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the replies. It's been just about a month since I started MYO. So far, just over 700 sticks (yea, I'm keeping track lol) 2-250's of Shargio, a 200 box of Gamblers, and just cracked my 3rd Shargio.

I'm also still in my experimental stages. Mixing and blending baccys together, sometimes throwing in some flavored pipe tobacco too. (Moist and gooey) The bag of Tin Star is what got me into blending, I still have some left. Lesson learned on that purchase.

So at this point, I'm only stuffing about a half pack at a time, a few times a day. Once or twice I've made like 2 packs, to give away to friends and family to turn them on to MYO....and it's working

Even if/when I find my 'perfect' blend, I still don't see myself sitting down and stuffing 200 at a time. My attention span is much shorter than that.

I am leaning towards 1 of these machines, but I'll see how this thread pans out. I'm also waiting to see if I get a reply from Powermaticinjector.com and/or RYOparts.com regarding if P1 parts are available. I'm not in any hurry.

I'm really pleasantly surprised on how well that TOP slider works. Though neither test is how I stuff on a normal basis; I've tried everything from nonblended, moist and gooey chocolate pipe tobacco, fresh out of the bag, to the finest dust like shake, it slides them ALL. It's stuffed just over 200 tubes with nearly zero frustration. I tried the exact same test, as above, in my Shargio...no way, no how.

BobbyE, you're right! Not that I plan to, but I could probably buy a Fresh Choice machine soon with the cash I'm saving!

Edit- I just added it up... I've spent about $52 this month, and still have well over 200 tubes, and roughly 10 ounces of tobacco left over For the 700+ I've stuffed, would have cost me nearly $250 in premades.(35 packs @ $7.00) I'm figuring I've saved at least $210 in ONE month?!!

Last edited by JSchubert; 12-26-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:19 PM

wbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nice

If you decide you DO want a Fresh Choice machine, I've got one of the original Brown ones I no longer use. It needs to be refurbed by the company, as the calibration is shot, but I'll sell it for $150 + S&H. I think the refurb is free, if you purchase tobacco from them. Mask posted the details of their refurb offer on this forum.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:24 PM

Toney is on a distinguished road

I'm back to using my top slider.

If everything is perfect my tom works pretty good.

I've never had to clean my top, it never gets tight from shake, it doesn't tear up tubes.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:34 PM

Thanks Toney, I felt a bit left out using a slider...

It's so simple, only 2 moving parts; a hinge and a slide. Nothing to bend, and it doesn't care if it's gummy or dirty. No filter gaps or carrot tops. Easy to use and very portable. If you can't pull the slide back, it's too full. I've cranked hard on that slide, it just makes smokes super tight. No idea what it would take to break it, short of stepping on it.

Hell, maybe I should just keep using that!

Is my Shargio that bad? Yes, yes it is....