Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

new to ryo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Entry Member

Felicity 1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new to ryo

I'm new to RYO. I have only just discovered this. I kinda feel stupid. I have no clue about anything tobacco or tubes. Can I buy online? I bought light tubes with full flavor mcclintock brand the tobacco isn't bad but it feels like I am smoking air. I used to smoke Marlboro light 100. So I figured to buy the light tubes but now I'm not so sure. I'm kinda lost any advice out there? Also my cousin is rolling with me and she is a menthol smoker. Any tips for her?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:52 AM

jsp2134 is on a distinguished road

Welcome! There are a few good sites to get tubes and tobacco.
Rollyourown.com is pretty good
I like bec's accessories for tubes and Trisha's Cafe for tobacco.

I don't know about light tubes very much, but I was a red smoker. I use Daughter's and Ryan 3 Sails tobacco. A lot of people here smoke that regularly.

Follow the thread "what are you smoking now" to see what tubes/tobacco that members like to smoke.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Yes, you can buy online, if you buy "dual purpose" pipe tobacco and are not located in a state which has state laws banning interstate shipping of processed tobacco (there are no restrictions on interstate shipping of whole leaf tobacco, which is legally considered an "agricultural product," though processing it is a lot of work).

Reputable online shops are Smoker Outlet Online, Tobacco General, Rollyourown.com (already recommended), Qwaaq Tobacco, BnB Tobacco, Pipes & Cigars, Trisha's Cafe (already recommended), American Thrust Tobacco. Bec's is a bit slow to ship orders, but is otherwise reputable. You can buy filter tubes through certain Amazon Marketplace Sellers -- I've used Hometown General and recommend it.

I think Three Sails, even in a "light" tube, is probably too strong for someone accustomed to smoking "lights." Although I don't smoke "lights," I would think that among the D&R brands Windsail Platinum is closer to what you're used to. Peter Stokkebye Virginia Long-cut might be another possibility. I'd suggest also reading BobbyE's thread on D&R Penhooker, it might be just what you're looking for.

The "Light" blends of some of the better "value" brands are: Smokin' G MLT (Golden Blend), OHM Blue, Golden Harvest Mild, Largo Mellow (even Largo Regular might be okay, it's on the mild side), and Desperado Gold. I'd avoid Sparrow and 4 Aces.

About tubes, Zen, Vera Cruz Elegante, Gambler, and Golden Harvest tubes are pretty good. Avoid the really cheap brands of tubes, usually they are cheap for a reason. Other members of the forum have commented favorably on Gizeh, Mascotte, Twister, and Ramback tubes.

If a "light" tobacco in a "light" tube is too mild, of course you can try a "light" tobacco in a full-flavor tube or a full-flavor tobacco in a "light" tube.

P.S. If you are going to try Three Sails, start out with a tin rather than a bag, and use a light tube. Three Sails is a great tobacco, but it is very strong -- I'd describe it as a Marlboro Red "on steroids."

Last edited by masklofumanto; 06-26-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:32 AM

jsp2134 is on a distinguished road

+1 for Windsail Platinum. That didn't even cross my mind.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:07 AM

wbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nice

Originally Posted by jsp2134 View Post
+1 for Windsail Platinum. That didn't even cross my mind.
+1 on Penhooker, as well. I like it best as a morning smoke, as I do Windsail.

I lean toward "robust" tobacco, but find those blends, while light (for me) flavorful enough to enjoy them.

Three Sails straight, in a full flavor tube, is becoming my primary smoke.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:17 PM

Matt2020 will become famous soon enough

My girlfriends mom used to smoke marlboro ultra-light 100's and her husband tried to get her to try some ryo cigs. He used an ultra-light cherokee pipe tobacco in a light top tube and she even thought that was too strong for her. I tried it and it was definately a step up from her cigs which ive had a couple. I wouldnt suggest putting light tobacco in light tubes though just try a different brand of full flavor tobacco in your light tubes maybe. Im using a full flavor nectar tobacco in a light tube right now. I used to smoke camel lights or blues and the cigs I have right now seem to be the same strength as my store bought brand was so I'm happy though I'm not done experimenting yet lol. Im new too by the way just thought maybe I could try and help out. Best of luck too ya!