Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Have a few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 02:04 AM

Matt2020 will become famous soon enough
Default Have a few questions

So I'm new to rolling your own cigarettes. As a matter of fact I just started two days ago and to this point I am enjoying it and the money I know I will be saving. However, I have a few questions. First and foremost, could anybody tell me some good combinations of tobacco and tubes? I have the top o matic T2 machine and started with a turkish blend of gambler tobacco and Light Hot Rod tubes. The one thing I was concerned about was the cigarette seemed to burn very quickly. After a little research, I found that the particular brand of tobacco I chose does indeed burn a little quicker than others. Also it was a cigarette tobacco not pipe. So just today after work I stopped by the tobacco store and got a different bag. This time it was Nectar Pipe Tobacco. I still used the same tubes the Hot Rod light tubes. They do burn slower about how a normal cigarette should last. But I want to try a bunch of different combos of tubes and tobacco to find the perfect cig for me. I used to smoke camel blues. Not the crush just regular blues. Maybe if somebody could help me by throwing out suggestions I may want to try. Another thing is the Hot Rod tubes are thicker than regular cigarettes and I wanted to know if all tubes were like that. Also when I'm loading cigs in my machine I end up getting carrot tops a good bit or sometimes it won't load all the way to the tip of cigarette not near filter. Also sometimes the cigs will burn unevenly. Is most of this just because I need to get used to the machine or is there something I'm missing. I have enjoyed doing this so far, and the nectar tobacco was a step up from the gambler in my opinion. I guess what I'm wondering is if there is anybody experienced that could help out a new guy any advice would help. I've been reading some posts here and the community seems very very helpful. Thanks guys and I look forward to hearing from some of you!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

There's a lot in your post to answer.

About the machine, too bad you didn't get the original Top-o-Matic rather than the T2. People who own the original uniformly praise it, whereas the T2 has gotten many bad reviews. However, you have the machine that you have, and will just have to make the best of it.

About the Hot Rod tubes being "thicker," do you mean that the paper is thicker, or do you mean that the tube's gauge is wider? Filter tubes used for RYO have a wider gauge than "commercial cigarettes," some a little more so than others; for example, Golden Harvest tubes are the widest I've seen. If you mean that the paper is thicker -- paper thickness does vary among different brands. From what I remember, Mascotte tubes have a thinner paper than most other brands.

Carrot tops and filter gaps are a sign that the tobacco isn't making it all the way to the filter ... and that is a common problem. The reasons for it vary: it could be "operator error" (that is, you are still learning how to use your machine), it could be a defect with the machine, which may be a reason why the T2 has gotten bad reviews, or it could be that with your machine you may need to use a tube with a shorter filter. It is important that you fill the loading chamber consistently. Too moist tobacco and over-stuffing will also cause filter gaps. There are a few things you can do about your filter gaps, such as tapping the filter end of the finished cigarette against a hard flat surface, though that alone may not completely eliminate the filter gap.

About combinations of tubes and tobacco, that will depend on your personal taste, so to find the ideal combo for you will require experimentation. Given what your brand of commercial cigarettes was, I would suggest the following tobaccos (from lowest to highest in price): OHM Turkish Yellow, Smokin' G CLT (Turkish Mellow Blend), and Daughters & Ryan Ramback Gold. Your Hot Rod tubes are probably okay, unless 20 mm. filter is contributing to your filter gap/carrot top problem. Give a tube with a 17 mm. filter a try, such as Zen Blue, and/or a 15 mm. filter, such as Mascotte Gold.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 06-23-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:07 AM

Toney is on a distinguished road

I was a camel light smoker. I'm really enjoying ohm bold in a ff tube.
I didn't care that much for the gambler either...

The tobacco just a little to moist will give you lots of problems. Packing the chamber to much will also.

I hold my tom at full stroke, and then pull the tube down the spoon a little before releasing the crank.

I kinda like getting carrot tops, I tamp them down and then trim the end. I think this helps them from dropping so much tobacco in the case.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:36 AM

wbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nice

Of the value blends, the Ohm and Smokin G are the best, IMHO. Personally, I prefer the Ohm Turkish Red as it seems more robust than the SG and it's offered by a wider variety of outlets.

Keep reading the archives, particularly the "What are you smoking" and "What have you purchased" threads.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:50 PM

Thanks guys for the advice. I heard that ohm was a pretty good value blend I may want to try that. The Nectar brand I have right now seems to be pretty good or at least I think its ok. My problems Im having now are that when i put the case I have somewhere in my center console of car I guess if it is handled to roughly tobacco starts to pour out. I suppose that is a matter of it not being packed tightly enough? Ive tried packing the ends first and filling the middle but that usually results in a jam from my machine that wont let my crank move at all and Im not trying to force it and break it. I havent even had it a week yet lol
Old 06-24-2014, 07:52 PM

Also forgot to mention I have to wait about a month before my local tobacco shop gets in any more turkish type of tobacco. Can I get decent brands from gas stations or is that just a waste of money to try and get?
Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 PM

jsp2134 is on a distinguished road

Rollyourown.com

That should give you whatever you need.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

(1) If the tobacco is falling out the open end, either it is packed too loosely or the tobacco is too dry. One technique that I routinely do is to use the blunt end of a wooden chopstick to tamp down the tobacco on the open end of each cigarette as I make them.
(2) Packing the ends first and then the middle is the proper way of filling the injector's loading chamber, so long as the tobacco is level. Are you compressing the tobacco with your finger tip (or with something like a chopstick) before turning the hand crank? If not, you should. It seems to me that the difficulties you are experiencing may be the reason for the T2's bad reviews -- the problem may be with the machine rather than with what you are doing.
(3) What brands does your local tobacco shop carry? And what brands are available at gas stations near you? Is there a reason why you can't order tobacco online? Nectar is a brand I've never heard of! By the way, avoid 4 Aces and Sparrow.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 07-06-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 PM

wbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nicewbealsd is just really nice

+1 on avoiding Sparrow!! I CAN smoke about anything and will blend tobacco I don't care for with other blends, until I can use it up.

Sparrow I tossed...
Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 PM

I have been just packing with my finger tip. Maybe i should try with some kind of skinny object like the chopstick you were talking about? About to roll some more up as soon as I finish my ramen soup lol. And I can order online but since I just started I guess I just rather going to the local tobacco shop and familiarizing myself with the place and the guy who runs it. He is also trying to help me out by suggesting certain tobaccos I like, which is why he told me to make sure Im back when his turkish tobacco comes in since i liked camels. I guess Im just experimenting with it right now to try and figure out the way to make a perfect cigarette. And about the Nectar tobacco the guy at the shop said it was one of his best sellers so I gave it a try. 6 Oz bag for 5 and a half bucks cant really beat it since I dont need a big bag til i find my preferred tobacco.