Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RYO - Smell?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 12:25 PM

ash2146 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RYO - Smell?

Greetings All,

I am new to RYO cigarettes, and I currently buy some local home-made chop-chop tobacco from my local market. While the taste is ok and quite close to a tailor made cigarette, the smell of my tobacco is horrible!

Is there anyway I can put some essence etc to get rid of this smell and/or to make it a bit better? I would be most obliged for your comments.

Cheers,

Ash.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:26 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

what brand are you smoking? I've only had one that smelled bad (cherokee bold) and it smelled like burning tire rubber - but that was the only one, and i've sampled quite a few different tobaccos
Old 03-20-2014, 05:00 PM

This is a no-brand, shredded, homegrown tobacco. Cheap stuff that uni students like me buy!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:21 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

if you're USA based, there are literally dozens of tobacco choices, what are referred to as "value blends" that are pleasant smoking, moreso than factory cigs

check out the Desperado Gold line at rollyourown.com ($16.99 14 - it's a dual purpose (pipe/RYO) tobacco

if you're UK based, while you've got a ton of great tobaccos, your pricing over there is kind of high
Old 03-20-2014, 10:02 PM

Thanks. I'm in Australia.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:08 PM

i'm not sure what tobaccos you have available down there - best thing to do is go online and see what tobaccos you can buy in small quantities, ie 6 oz bag to try or sample.

there was one other tobacco that had a horrible aftertaste besides the cherokee bold, it was kentucky select organic - tasted like i'd chewed a pc of salt treated lumber for most of a day after smoking some - i literally threw the bag in the trash, not wanting to put it back on the shelf and grabbing it at some point in the future by mistake

gas station tobaccos are generally the cheapest / lowest quality available plus you don't know how long they've been sitting on the shelf (ie dried out) etc

online sourced is best if you have that option there in australia
Old 03-21-2014, 02:29 AM

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback. Cheers.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:56 AM

Alexvlad is an unknown quantity at this point

May be you should switch brands, or buy flavored tobacco. My tobacco has a vanilla and chocolate flavor and even my non-smoking friends like it.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

From what I've heard, Australia taxes tobacco so heavily, and puts so many obstacles to its importation by individuals, that "Ash" may have a hard time finding an alternative to what he's getting now. And in Australia it is illegal for individuals to grow their own tobacco; tobacco growing is restricted to licensed manufacturers.

Update: Australian Tobacco Law

"The regulations will limit access to unmanufactured tobacco leaf to legitimate manufacturers or licensed dealers. Locally produced unmanufactured tobacco leaf is already controlled by legislation enforced by the Australian Taxation Office. Item 2401.10 of Schedule 3 of the Customs Tariff Act deals with tobacco, not stemmed/stripped. The proposal to make item 2401.10 a prohibited import is not to act as a barrier to the importation of tobacco leaf but to limit access to those licensed as manufacturers or registered dealers under the provisions of the Excise Act of 1901. Access to imported unmanufactured leaf will only be allowed subject to the Treasurer's approval and only to registered dealers and licensed manufacturers."

"Summary of Alterations to Excise Tariff Proposal (No. 1) 2013 Customs Tariff Proposal (No. 2) 2013 Reasons for changes: To increase the excise and excise equivalent customs rates of duty applying to tobacco, cigars, cigarettes, and snuff from $0.35731 to $0.40197 per stick not exceeding 0.8 grams actual tobacco content in weight, and from $446.65 to $502.48 per kilogram of tobacco content for other tobacco. To index excise and excise equivalent duty on tobacco and tobacco products using average weekly ordinary time earnings (AWOTE) instead of the Consumer Price Index (CPI). Date of effect: 1 December 2013 Alterations of Excise Tariff Act 1921 Alterations of the Customs Tariff Act 1995. Excise is imposed on petroleum, alcohol and tobacco produced in Australia. When imported these types of goods, known as excise equivalent goods, are subject to customs duty which includes a component at the same rates as the excise duty applied to locally produced goods."

Australian $502.48 = U.S. $448.71
1 kilogram = 2.20462 lbs.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-21-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: added Australian Tobacco Law
Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 PM

great kucamonga - that's $203 (US) per lb of tobacco. iirc, a carton of smokes on average, today, has something like .46 lb of tobacco. So we're talking close to $100 US tax on a carton. That puts Australia above NY state in cigarette tax, but australia's is on tobacco, which would include cigars & pipes, unless there's relief for those two.

that gas station bought tobacco may have some filler material that isn't tobacco, to lighten that tax rate some.