Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » What have you purchased lately?

What have you purchased lately?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 12:16 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
Dan,
VPB has been around for at least seven years!
Yes but VPB Yellow is a relatively new product. It seems too good to be value tobacco to me. When I add a bit of 5 Brothers burley it is a beautiful thing. A little....not enough that it becomes earthy.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

I think you're right that the VPB Yellow is new. All I remember from the past is Red, Blue, and Green. The Yellow is an Oriental blend, yes? Perhaps it is just the Yellow that is priced higher because the tobacco is more expensive?

Even though the "V" stands for "Value," I don't think VPB is actually a "value" tobacco. It's just that it is a cheaper, "generic" line from D&R. For that matter, some people call Golden Harvest "value" tobacco, but that is also a case where IMO the quality is too high to be deemed as such.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 03-12-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:32 PM

DancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the roughDancesWithWerewolves is a jewel in the rough

VPB Yellow has a "touch of oriental" as advertised. Ramback, Ramback Gold, and Ramback Balkan do cost more but the regular lineup blends with oriental cost the same. I don't know... I am not a businessman. I just know that I like it.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
I think you're right that the VPB Yellow is new. All I remember from the past is Red, Blue, and Green.
It evidently was sold at least as far back as 2011 although I don't recall ever seeing it until recently.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the roughmasklofumanto is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DancesWithWerewolves View Post
It evidently was sold at least as far back as 2011 although I don't recall ever seeing it until recently.
I don't recall seeing it either. And I bought VPB Red more recently than that.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 PM

Boogeyman is an unknown quantity at this point

Well here goes.I contacted D&R they were no help what so ever as to why the yellow VPB was more expensive and I was told to contact the store selling the VPB yellow and ask them.I then contacted P&C it took two days before the women could answer the question as to the price difference.The answer I recieved was that the Turkish tobacco is more expensive than Virginia or burley and that is why there is a $7 dollar price difference.I did mention other tobacco companies offer Turkish blends with no price difference what so ever.She stuck to her guns and told me Turkish tobacco for this company was more expensive.I then mentioned that D&R tobaccos that have a Turkish blend do not have a massive price increase compared to their regular line up.This did not get me anywhere.She did claim that she would talk to management to add a note to the web site page explaining the price difference.Time will tell.The VPB Yellow is an odd duck with its price and packaging.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Ha! It was just as I guessed ... more expensive, imported tobaccos in the Yellow is the reason it's more expensive. Btw, even in the D&R "regular" line, Ramback, Ramback Gold, and Ramback Balkan are more expensive than the rest of the D&R line.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:23 AM

It has a bright citrus-like flavor to it and (seems) to be without any topping. If there is burley in it then it is not much. The "Turkish" tobacco is there but seems minimal to me... the way I like it. It seems to be a superior product.

It may be that (for whatever reason) it is not a regular offering but is sold from time to time thus it is not part of D&R's regular line. This is pure speculation. I should not even post my theory.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

By the way, just got an e-mail for P&C -- free shipping all weekend on orders over $49. Offer expires on March 17th, 2019 @ 11:59 PM EST. This offer cannot be combined with other offers.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:21 AM

I had read something about the essence of Turkish tobacco being extracted and experimented with at one point (probably years ago) to use with D&R Vengeur. I do not know why or if it is so today. I could try and look that up if needed. It is straying from the thread topic.