Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

D&R "Pipe" Tobacco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 PM

zzbruno is on a distinguished road
Default D&R "Pipe" Tobacco

Several years ago, I enjoyed a number of D&R tobacco blends (cigarette cut). I took a break for several year as I moved to cigars almost exclusively. I recently had the opportunity to pick up some D&R tobacco that is pipe cut.

I don't smoke a pipe, but I would if I could find one that was suited for a quick smoke and inhaling.

So, two questions. Can I roll the D&R pipe cut with RYO product and expect a decent smoke? And is there a pipe that I can smoke said tobacco with the expectation to inhale? I've use a churchwarden pipe in the past to smoke cigarette tobacco with marginally acceptable results.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 PM

ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough

Go ahead and roll them up.
I just smoke the shags. 3 Sails, Ryback, Sigaro, Sigaretta. They also have Ryback Gold, a tame version of Ryback
Try a good old corncob pipe.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 PM

zzbruno is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I have the Ryback and the Cigaretta.
I am from Missouri and a corncob pipe suits me.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 PM

You are welcome. Another good shag is NCS 3C. Only available from rollyourown.com.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 AM

lawyer66 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zzbruno View Post
Several years ago, I enjoyed a number of D&R tobacco blends (cigarette cut). I took a break for several year as I moved to cigars almost exclusively. I recently had the opportunity to pick up some D&R tobacco that is pipe cut.

I don't smoke a pipe, but I would if I could find one that was suited for a quick smoke and inhaling.

So, two questions. Can I roll the D&R pipe cut with RYO product and expect a decent smoke? And is there a pipe that I can smoke said tobacco with the expectation to inhale? I've use a churchwarden pipe in the past to smoke cigarette tobacco with marginally acceptable results.

Thoughts and recommendations?
Thanks
Best recommendation for the pipe would be a savinelli balsa they have filter pipes if you would like them. However, you could just look for a pipe with a small bowl. Churchwardens long stems would probably kill the throat hit imo.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:51 PM

andyk has a spectacular aura aboutandyk has a spectacular aura about

The D&R Shag cuts are easy converts to RYO (the ones Ronsen listed).

For the others, you can expect a wider ribbon cut that doesn't transfer as well to RYO; something is lost. I never tried D&R cig cuts but wish I had. Rowland, Vengeur, Windsail, COckstrong, Two Timer - these are the ribbon cuts I have smoked and at least for me, it's harder to get the flavor out of them. That's where the whole idea of "rubbing out" comes into play.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by andyk View Post
The D&R Shag cuts are easy converts to RYO (the ones Ronsen listed).

For the others, you can expect a wider ribbon cut that doesn't transfer as well to RYO; something is lost. I never tried D&R cig cuts but wish I had. Rowland, Vengeur, Windsail, COckstrong, Two Timer - these are the ribbon cuts I have smoked and at least for me, it's harder to get the flavor out of them. That's where the whole idea of "rubbing out" comes into play.
When I made my first foray into MYO a little over 10 years ago, I had Vengeur cigarette tobacco. The tobacco was good, akin to Winston or Marlboro. But the manual injector and tubes I had were horrid! I could never get anywhere near to factory-made cigarettes with those, and gave up making my own until last October. I hear that the pipe-cut Vengeur isn't quite the same -- I wonder if the difference is something besides the cut?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:07 PM

andyk has a spectacular aura aboutandyk has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I wish I got to try the D&R cig cuts, so I could compare. I'm smoking Vengeur today... I've been sitting on this bag for about a year, so maybe it's been doing some aging. When I smoke it, I pull out a peppery flavor every time.

When I started RYO, I was told Vengeur and Rowland were the Marlboro clones. I've smoked both as ribbon cuts and can't say they remind me much of Marlboro. Maybe I went in with too high of expectations.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM

For those who read ryomagazine.com, the D&R review is out of date. These reviews are about the old D&R cigarette rolling tobaccos, not the current D&R dual purpose/pipe tobaccos.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:41 PM

CNCMan will become famous soon enoughCNCMan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ronsen View Post
For those who read ryomagazine.com, the D&R review is out of date. These reviews are about the old D&R cigarette rolling tobaccos, not the current D&R dual purpose/pipe tobaccos.
I gather that... their glowing review of D&R Windsail Platinum led me to try some. The cut, however, requires a significant amount of pre-processing before it behaves in my TOM. Guess I'll bump shags up on the priority list.