Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


D&R "Pipe" Tobacco


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
zzbruno is on a distinguished road
Default D&R "Pipe" Tobacco

Several years ago, I enjoyed a number of D&R tobacco blends (cigarette cut). I took a break for several year as I moved to cigars almost exclusively. I recently had the opportunity to pick up some D&R tobacco that is pipe cut.

I don't smoke a pipe, but I would if I could find one that was suited for a quick smoke and inhaling.

So, two questions. Can I roll the D&R pipe cut with RYO product and expect a decent smoke? And is there a pipe that I can smoke said tobacco with the expectation to inhale? I've use a churchwarden pipe in the past to smoke cigarette tobacco with marginally acceptable results.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 683
Rep Power: 78
ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough
Default

Go ahead and roll them up.
I just smoke the shags. 3 Sails, Ryback, Sigaro, Sigaretta. They also have Ryback Gold, a tame version of Ryback
Try a good old corncob pipe.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
zzbruno is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks. I have the Ryback and the Cigaretta.
I am from Missouri and a corncob pipe suits me.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 683
Rep Power: 78
ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough
Default

You are welcome. Another good shag is NCS 3C. Only available from rollyourown.com.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 22
Rep Power: 0
lawyer66 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by zzbruno View Post
Several years ago, I enjoyed a number of D&R tobacco blends (cigarette cut). I took a break for several year as I moved to cigars almost exclusively. I recently had the opportunity to pick up some D&R tobacco that is pipe cut.

I don't smoke a pipe, but I would if I could find one that was suited for a quick smoke and inhaling.

So, two questions. Can I roll the D&R pipe cut with RYO product and expect a decent smoke? And is there a pipe that I can smoke said tobacco with the expectation to inhale? I've use a churchwarden pipe in the past to smoke cigarette tobacco with marginally acceptable results.

Thoughts and recommendations?
Thanks
Best recommendation for the pipe would be a savinelli balsa they have filter pipes if you would like them. However, you could just look for a pipe with a small bowl. Churchwardens long stems would probably kill the throat hit imo.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 119
Rep Power: 21
andyk has a spectacular aura aboutandyk has a spectacular aura about
Default

The D&R Shag cuts are easy converts to RYO (the ones Ronsen listed).

For the others, you can expect a wider ribbon cut that doesn't transfer as well to RYO; something is lost. I never tried D&R cig cuts but wish I had. Rowland, Vengeur, Windsail, COckstrong, Two Timer - these are the ribbon cuts I have smoked and at least for me, it's harder to get the flavor out of them. That's where the whole idea of "rubbing out" comes into play.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: U.S.A. (NYC metro area)
Posts: 7,998
Rep Power: 812
masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice
Default

Originally Posted by andyk View Post
The D&R Shag cuts are easy converts to RYO (the ones Ronsen listed).

For the others, you can expect a wider ribbon cut that doesn't transfer as well to RYO; something is lost. I never tried D&R cig cuts but wish I had. Rowland, Vengeur, Windsail, COckstrong, Two Timer - these are the ribbon cuts I have smoked and at least for me, it's harder to get the flavor out of them. That's where the whole idea of "rubbing out" comes into play.
When I made my first foray into MYO a little over 10 years ago, I had Vengeur cigarette tobacco. The tobacco was good, akin to Winston or Marlboro. But the manual injector and tubes I had were horrid! I could never get anywhere near to factory-made cigarettes with those, and gave up making my own until last October. I hear that the pipe-cut Vengeur isn't quite the same -- I wonder if the difference is something besides the cut?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 119
Rep Power: 21
andyk has a spectacular aura aboutandyk has a spectacular aura about
Default

Yeah, I wish I got to try the D&R cig cuts, so I could compare. I'm smoking Vengeur today... I've been sitting on this bag for about a year, so maybe it's been doing some aging. When I smoke it, I pull out a peppery flavor every time.

When I started RYO, I was told Vengeur and Rowland were the Marlboro clones. I've smoked both as ribbon cuts and can't say they remind me much of Marlboro. Maybe I went in with too high of expectations.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 683
Rep Power: 78
ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough
Default

For those who read ryomagazine.com, the D&R review is out of date. These reviews are about the old D&R cigarette rolling tobaccos, not the current D&R dual purpose/pipe tobaccos.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 113
Rep Power: 20
CNCMan will become famous soon enoughCNCMan will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally Posted by ronsen View Post
For those who read ryomagazine.com, the D&R review is out of date. These reviews are about the old D&R cigarette rolling tobaccos, not the current D&R dual purpose/pipe tobaccos.
I gather that... their glowing review of D&R Windsail Platinum led me to try some. The cut, however, requires a significant amount of pre-processing before it behaves in my TOM. Guess I'll bump shags up on the priority list.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Regular" length filters for king size tubes?? zbemerson RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes 10 07-10-2020 04:24 AM
"Natural Fresh Choice Tobacco" mrm1233 RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes 4 10-23-2015 10:11 AM
"Light" Tobacco kban RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes 2 03-02-2013 04:57 PM
Hawaii might ban "purse-pack" cigs cooljay788 General Smokers Discussion 1 02-02-2009 01:28 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Cigreviews.com



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13