Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Commence Operation RYO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 PM

lawyer66 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Commence Operation RYO

Hello All,

After scanning this forum like a cyborg for the past few weeks I decided to jump in. I SELECTED AND ORDERED MY FIRST KIT. I must say that the tobaccos I have selected were not really choice, but I know of another trusted site that sells D&R and PS at moderate prices with low-priced international shipping. Before that, here is a summary of the order:

1 Premier twin hand injector (didn't want to shell out 40 bucks as yet)
2 Cartons Vera Cruz Midnight
2 Cartons Vera Cruz Nocturne
3 Cartons Hot Rod Super Menthol
12oz Largo Regular
1 pound Cherokee Menthol Blend
1 Top Yellow Cigarette Case

The tobaccos are not really of any issue as I already have plans to order from smokingpipes as they have already handled my pipe tobacco order before and fulfilled it to the t. In any case, the thoughts of this community have always met my ears well and I would like to hear your responses. Last but not least, thanks to everyone for being so informative and helpful, I can safely say cigreviews helped me make the wise decision to jump on the RYO train.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Congratulations! Let us know what you think about what you got.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM

bustah will become famous soon enoughbustah will become famous soon enough

You might want to reconsider the 3 tubes you chose.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:45 PM

ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough

Try stuffing that Cherokee menthol into the Nocturnes.
The Hotrod super menthol tubes are pretty powerfull. Mite knock you over if you stuff them with menthol tobacco. Try the Largo in them.
After you open the menthol tubes put them in a Ziplock or air tight container.
Otherwise the menthol will bleed off.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by ronsen View Post
Try stuffing that Cherokee menthol into the Nocturnes.
The Hotrod super menthol tubes are pretty powerfull. Mite knock you over if you stuff them with menthol tobacco. Try the Largo in them.
After you open the menthol tubes put them in a Ziplock or air tight container.
Otherwise the menthol will bleed off.
If you already placed the order, what Ronsen said will be your best option. I hope you don't end up hating RYO from this order. I think you should've went with different tubes to start off instead of ordering multiple of the same. On my first order I had about 6 different tubes.

Last edited by bustah; 03-08-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by bustah View Post
If you already placed the order, what Ronsen said will be your best option. I hope you don't end up hating RYO from this order. I think you should've went with different tubes to start off instead of ordering multiple of the same. On my first order I had about 6 different tubes.
This is true, but I am remaining open minded. I just went with what I liked and formed this order. I wont give up on this smoking alternative as there are many more tobaccos and tubes to choose from, I don't think I will be giving up any time soon. However, I'll be sure to let you all know about my findings. Peace
Old 03-09-2013, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by lawyer66 View Post
I just went with what I liked and formed this order.
Does that mean you've tried it before? I thought it was your very first order?

Or I assume you meant you just went with what you think you'll like from all the reviews? You said you scanned through the forum but I don't remember there being much reviews on the tubes you chose. In fact there isn't much people that even uses it here.

Are you looking for a really strong flavored smoke? It seems like you picked stuff on the stronger side especially with the tubes.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by bustah View Post
Does that mean you've tried it before? I thought it was your very first order?

Or I assume you meant you just went with what you think you'll like from all the reviews? You said you scanned through the forum but I don't remember there being much reviews on the tubes you chose. In fact there isn't much people that even uses it here.

Are you looking for a really strong flavored smoke? It seems like you picked stuff on the stronger side especially with the tubes.
Yes I am new to this. I have seen posts that mentioned hot rod tubes, and have watched videos and read about the nocturnes. I chose midnights simply because they were black and I liked that. I do like a strong smoke, it was that way for me with OTC cigs, cigars, and pipes. I understand where you are coming from, but you seem more concerned with being critical with my statement than offering any constructive criticism. Now, that being said, this is my first order. I am experimenting with what I have found aesthetically appealing (tubes) and what has gotten reasonable reviews (Largo as I was told in this forum/ Cherokee as I saw on bnbtobacco). Either way, I am not very worried, because these are not the only tubes or tobaccos under my consideration. And at the end of the day none of any possible unhappiness I could have with my order will be the fault of the members of this forum or any knowledge I have disseminated, it will be of my own error in choice. Bless
Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by lawyer66 View Post
I understand where you are coming from, but you seem more concerned with being critical with my statement than offering any constructive criticism.
Are you being a bit too sensitive? Don't get me wrong but I also had all 3 Vera Cruz tubes in my first order. Therefore, I understand where you are coming from. Apparently a member here Ronsen also warned me about the Midnight tubes before I made my order. However, I still ended wanting to try it due to the appealing colors. I paid $4 for it and it was a disappointment. I felt that it was a waste as I left the Nocturne and Midnight nearly unused. A lot of members here also run into the same problem with tubes/tobacco and end up having to blend to finish it. It's definitely not a fun thing to do.

Another member here BobbyE had a post about the Midnight tubes. He couldn't find anything that would work with it. I also have to agree with him how it taste like cardboard with any tobaccos.

I am not trying to be critical with your statement, I was just confused how you came up with those tubes from scanning through this forum. It also make sense why I asked if you were looking for a stronger smoke.

If things doesn't work out, you might want to try some of those tobacco with a stronger cigar like flavor. D&R Sigaro, D&R Sigaretta, GH Kendal Dark, GH Dark Bird's Eye. I think they might go well with the tubes.

I am still quite new to this as well but I just try to be as safe as possible with my orders. When I don't like something I just leave it untouched or end up throwing it out. Although it's true that you have to go through trial and error, I just find it better to hear some feedback before placing a order.

Last edited by bustah; 03-09-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Lawyer66: I really think that Bustah meant well, and for the reasons he said in his most recent post. Nothing I've seen in his posts before gives me any reason to think otherwise, so give him the benefit of the doubt. Also, again, please let us know what you think about what you got.

Bustah: I think that sometimes it is simply the case that we have to make our own mistakes, otherwise we would never try anything new at all. It is entirely possible that in the midst of this order that Lawyer66 might find something he really likes, that he would not have otherwise found had he not taken a risk. But, I hear what you are saying about getting some feedback on the forum. I should have given greater credence to NCJY's comments in the Red Cap thread. At least that wasn't a total waste, I gave the bag to my uncle and it turned out to be the very brand that he is regularly using.