Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Any tobacco reviews for these?

Any tobacco reviews for these?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 12:55 AM

lawyer66 is on a distinguished road
Default Any tobacco reviews for these?

So i found a site that offers decent shipping. I need to know what you all think of these tobaccos if you've tried them.

Gambler
Buoy
Sir Walter Raleigh
Red Buck
Smokin Joes
Tinstar
Tornado
Golden Harvest
Criss Cross
Red Cap
Farmers Gold
Kentucky select
4 Aces
Largo
Bacco
Carpenters
Sparrow
Bull Durham
Wild Horse
Cherokee

Tell me anything you know about any of these tobaccos. I have decided that because I am not that familiar with RYO, I will start with a small order of one tobacco to get a general feel. Any information on the various products supplied by these brands would be appreciated. I like more of a paul mall/camel type of smoke.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

Bear in mind that tastes are subjective.

Golden Harvest Robust: Good flavor, more or less "American blend." I've noticed a slight orange citrus taste on the exhale. Doesn't need drying; in fact, some bags are already a bit on the dry side.

Red Cap Regular: There's a Red Cap thread, I'd suggest reading the comments there. But, short answer, heavy-handed toppings. So it's a matter of whether you like alot of added flavors.

Kentucky Select: I've tried Red and Turkish blends. To me, Kentucky Select has an odd "herbal" aftertaste. Another member, I think it was Zarit, commented about the aftertaste as well, though I don't believe he minded it as much as I do.

I haven't tried any of the others on your list, though Buoy and Golden Harvest are both Rouseco brands, so I would think that they may be similar. BTW, I don't think that Sir Walter Raleigh is a "dual purpose" tobacco.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM

ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough

Most of those gas station brands that I have tried I stuff into menthol tubes or stuff the menthols into FF tubes.

The few I have smoked FF tobacco stuffed into FF tubes are the GH Robust and Smoking Joes FF.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Craven A Players View Post
From what I've seen, you've come to the right place. I've not tried any of the mentioned baccys, but I've seen them here a lot. It may help to know which Cayman you're from; Grand, Brac, or Little, and which online vendor you plan on using, so members might be of more help to you. Good luck lawyer66!
I am from Grand Cayman, I am using rollingpapers.com (mostly because of 23.99 any size international shipping).
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by masklofumanto View Post
Bear in mind that tastes are subjective.

Golden Harvest Robust: Good flavor, more or less "American blend." I've noticed a slight orange citrus taste on the exhale. Doesn't need drying; in fact, some bags are already a bit on the dry side.

Red Cap Regular: There's a Red Cap thread, I'd suggest reading the comments there. But, short answer, heavy-handed toppings. So it's a matter of whether you like alot of added flavors.

Kentucky Select: I've tried Red and Turkish blends. To me, Kentucky Select has an odd "herbal" aftertaste. Another member, I think it was Zarit, commented about the aftertaste as well, though I don't believe he minded it as much as I do.

I haven't tried any of the others on your list, though Buoy and Golden Harvest are both Rouseco brands, so I would think that they may be similar. BTW, I don't think that Sir Walter Raleigh is a "dual purpose" tobacco.
The reason I posted Sir Walter Raleigh was because I think I may have seen a video with someone using it for ryo, I could have been wrong though. Thanks for the info anyway mask
Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

masklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nicemasklofumanto is just really nice

BnBTobacco will ship internationally, and perhaps Tobacco General (TG will ship outside the US mainland to, for example, military bases; but I don't know whether that also includes other international addresses). Might be worth contacting these two shops to see what it would cost to ship an order to you. The selection of products has got to be better than the shop you are considering -- I checked the website a few minutes ago, and wasn't too impressed (and some prices seemed high too).
Old 02-15-2013, 05:50 PM
NCJY

For opinions on the tobaccos, try the Search this Forum feature.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 AM

BnBTobacco will ship internationally, and perhaps Tobacco General (TG will ship outside the US mainland to, for example, military bases; but I don't know whether that also includes other international addresses). Might be worth contacting these two shops to see what it would cost to ship an order to you. The selection of products has got to be better than the shop you are considering -- I checked the website a few minutes ago, and wasn't too impressed (and some prices seemed high too).
bnb dooes international shipping only problem is they wanted to charge me 126 bucks shipping on an 80 dollar order, will check tobacco general though.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lawyer66 View Post
bnb dooes international shipping only problem is they wanted to charge me 126 bucks shipping on an 80 dollar order, will check tobacco general though.
$126 shipping charge -- Ouch!

Okay, I guess time for more imput on your original post. I'm going to summarize what I've previously read here and elsewhere, so take it for what it's worth. Remember, tastes are subjective.

Gambler - probably okay, haven't seen strong opinions about it one way or the other.
Buoy - Ditto. Also a Rouseco product, so may be akin to Golden Harvest. BTW, andyk has used it, so he should be able to tell you more about it.
Smokin Joes - some other members of this forum have used it . . . haven't seen any negative comments, so probably okay.
Tinstar - very inexpensive . . . I read elsewhere that it is expanded tobacco, even though it doesn't say so.
Golden Harvest - from my personal experience, a good "middle-of-the-pack" tobacco, tends to be on the dry side.
Criss Cross - I've only used the vanilla-flavored (and hated it) . . . as for Criss Cross Original, some members of this forum have used it. Sublimefan2k12 found it "average." I've also read (don't remember where) doubts about its consistency from bag to bag.
Red Cap - in the bags, heavy-handed toppings; the pouches, for some reason, don't seem to be as heavily topped.
Farmers Gold - haven't seen much written about it, other than that it is a product of M & R Holdings, which is the same manufacturer as all the NCS brands except for 3C.
Kentucky Select - as I told you before, there is a strong aftertaste, and I'm not the only one who has noticed it. BTW, there is a Kentucky Select thread in this forum.
4 Aces - In this forum, Sublimefan2k12 hated it. Apparently a very harsh smoke.
Largo - Zarit regularly uses it and likes it. Sublimefan2k12 found it better than average. Read elsewhere that its "strength" is considered "mild."
Bull Durham - the only thing I noticed is that this used to be a brand of cigarette tobacco, and it is high priced relative to most other dual purpose tobaccos. It is produced by Commonwealth Brands, a major tobacco company based in North Carolina. I'm guessing it is considered a "premium" brand.
Sparrow - very cheap . . . Some reviewers I've read have commented on its mildness, other reviewers have really hated it (considered it "flavorless"), suggesting that it is cheap for a reason.
None of the other brands from your list have "crossed my radar" so far as having read any reviews, let alone having personal experience.

Last edited by masklofumanto; 02-16-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:55 PM

$126 shipping charge -- Ouch!

Okay, I guess time for more imput on your original post. I'm going to summarize what I've previously read here and elsewhere, so take it for what it's worth. Remember, tastes are subjective.

Gambler - probably okay, haven't seen strong opinions about it one way or the other.
Buoy - Ditto. Also a Rouseco product, so may be akin to Golden Harvest. BTW, andyk has used it, so he should be able to tell you more about it.
Smokin Joes - some other members of this forum have used it . . . haven't seen any negative comments, so probably okay.
Tinstar - very inexpensive . . . I read elsewhere that it is expanded tobacco, even though it doesn't say so.
Golden Harvest - from my personal experience, a good "middle-of-the-pack" tobacco, tends to be on the dry side.
Criss Cross - I've only used the vanilla-flavored (and hated it) . . . as for Criss Cross Original, some members of this forum have used it. Sublimefan2k12 found it "average." I've also read (don't remember where) doubts about its consistency from bag to bag.
Red Cap - in the bags, heavy-handed toppings; the pouches, for some reason, don't seem to be as heavily topped.
Farmers Gold - haven't seen much written about it, other than that it is a product of M & R Holdings, which is the same manufacturer as all the NCS brands except for 3C.
Kentucky Select - as I told you before, there is a strong aftertaste, and I'm not the only one who has noticed it. BTW, there is a Kentucky Select thread in this forum.
4 Aces - In this forum, Sublimefan2k12 hated it. Apparently a very harsh smoke.
Largo - Zarit regularly uses it and likes it. Sublimefan2k12 found it better than average. Read elsewhere that its "strength" is considered "mild."
Bull Durham - the only thing I noticed is that this used to be a brand of cigarette tobacco, and it is high priced relative to most other dual purpose tobaccos. It is produced by Commonwealth Brands, a major tobacco company based in North Carolina. I'm guessing it is considered a "premium" brand.
Sparrow - very cheap . . . Some reviewers I've read have commented on its mildness, other reviewers have really hated it (considered it "flavorless"), suggesting that it is cheap for a reason.
None of the other brands from your list have "crossed my radar" so far as having read any reviews, let alone having personal experience.
Wow mask thanks, that's a whole lot of info