Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Cigarette Forum & Smokers Community > Smokers Forum > RYO - Roll Your Own Cigarettes » Hi! New to the forums! Have a question!

Hi! New to the forums! Have a question!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 PM

Hellioness is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Hi! New to the forums! Have a question!

Hello everyone! I used to RMO smokes years ago and have recently decided to get back into it to save money. My question is, what tubes and tobacco would you recommend to get the closest possible taste to Marlboro Menthol or camel Menthol wides?'

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM
NCJY

Imho matching a brand is near impossible. Why bother? Much easier to make a superior smoke. In hindsight, this is exactly where I would start. Get 1 lb of D&R Three Sails Bulk from pipesandcigars for $19.25. Get 2-3 boxes menthol tubes (not mint) around $2.50-$3.50 ea. Hot Rod, Premier, or Golden Harvest are a few menthols I know people like. Menthols are better if left to sit overnight so the flavor infuses.
This is enough for over two cartons.
If you do the math, super cheap.
If you smoke one, you will want to kick yourself in the ass for not doing it sooner.

Welcome to the hobby Hellioness

Last edited by NCJY; 07-11-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:59 AM

larryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of light
Default if you search this and the other RYO forums

you'll find folks recommendations for that very brand or what approximates it. That very question has been asked about all the popular factory brands a multitude of times

couple suggestions:

from a lot of vendors you can purchase a sample pouch of the tobacco you're considering (1 - 3 ounces) that you can buy to try. If one vendor doesn't offer the smaller pouches, keep looking as you'll find one that does. The tubes you'll have to buy a carton to test but tubes are so cheap it's not an issue. And there is a taste dynamic going on between any tobacco and tube. One thing to watch out for is a lot of "menthol" tobaccos are actually flavored with "mint" leaves, not true menthol, so read the tobacco descripts carefully.

2nd suggestion, when you are comparing whatever brand menthol tobacco to your preferrred factory menthol brand, cut open some of your factory cigs to repack that tobacco into the same tube you're testing the bulk tobacco in, ie taste marlboro menthol in the same menthol tubes you've packed the bulk in. Keep in mind, your factory cig's paper has been treated with FSC (fire safety chems) and that does affect the flavor.

When i did that, the McClintock Blue (which was billed as a marlboro light tobacco) came in exact, taste wise to Marlboro light but cost put it too close to what i pay for marlboro lights. I tested about a dozen tobaccos and found Southern Steel Mellow was so close, and cost wise i'm paying about $1.15 per pack, that what little taste difference there was, was neglible. The Southern Steel line is considered a "value" tobacco, ie economical at $13.50 approx for a 15 oz bag.

Something else you might want to use in estimating your costs, most folks are reporting 6-8 oz tobacco per carton, and i'm just under 6 ounces but i'm using tubes with a 25mm filter (most tubes are 15mm with some at 17 - 20mm). The shorter filter means more tobacco in whichever size tube you're filling. In my case, in king size cigs, if i were packing tubes with 15mm filters, i'd be wasting enough tobacco for 3.3 cigs per pack, which means enough tobacco to stuff 1 & 2/3 packs per carton wasted tobacco.

Once you've found the menthol tobacco you like, then the fun will start, as you'll discover other brands of tobacco (from reading others' reports on various tobaccos) you like even more and whatever preference you had for the factory menthols will fade into history.

hope that helps

Last edited by larryccf; 07-11-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:06 AM

Hellioness is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NCJY View Post
Imho matching a brand is near impossible. Why bother? Much easier to make a superior smoke. In hindsight, this is exactly where I would start. Get 1 lb of D&R Three Sails Bulk from pipesandcigars for $19.25. Get 2-3 boxes menthol tubes (not mint) around $2.50-$3.50 ea. Hot Rod, Premier, or Golden Harvest are a few menthols I know people like. Menthols are better if left to sit overnight so the flavor infuses.
This is enough for over two cartons.
If you do the math, super cheap.
If you smoke one, you will want to kick yourself in the ass for not doing it sooner.

Welcome to the hobby Hellioness
Thanks for the info! I know last time I tried doing it they tasted horrible, but that was years ago and knowing me I was probably just buying whatever was cheapest.
You said menthols are best to sit overnight, do you mean after I inject the tubes I should let the cigarettes sit overnight before smoking them?
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
you'll find folks recommendations for that very brand or what approximates it. That very question has been asked about all the popular factory brands a multitude of times

couple suggestions:

from a lot of vendors you can purchase a sample pouch (1 - 3 ounces) that you can buy to try. The tubes you'll have to buy a carton but tubes are so cheap it's not an issue. And there is a taste dynamic going on between any tobacco and tube. One thing to watch out for is a lot of menthol tobacco are actually flavored with "mint" leaves, not true menthol, so read the tobacco descripts carefully.

2nd suggestion, when you are comparing whatever brand menthol tobacco to your favored menthol brand, cut open some of your factory cigs to repack that tobacco into the same tube you're testing the bulk tobacco in, ie taste marlboro menthol in the same menthol tubes you've packed the bulk in. Keep in mind, your factory cig's paper has been treated with FSC (fire safety chems) and that does affect the flavor.

When i did that, the McClintock Blue (which was billed as a marlboro light tobacco) came in exact but cost put it too close to what i pay for marlboro lights. I tested about a dozen tobaccos and found Southern Steel Mellow was so close, and cost wise i'm paying about $1.15 per pack, that what little taste difference there was, was neglible.

then the fun will start, as you'll discover other brands of tobacco you like even more and whatever preference you had for the factory menthols will fade into history.

hope that helps
thanks for the suggestions. That FSC junk is part of what has pushed me to roll my own besides the savings, I just can't afford to actually go buy a pack anymore! That's a good idea on using the marlboro tobacco in a different tube.
Do you have any specific store you would recommend or would it be best to buy locally?
See...$1.15 a pack is what I'm talking about.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:14 AM

larryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of lightlarryccf is a glorious beacon of light

Smoker's Outlet Online - smokersoutletonline.com is pretty reasonable on their pricing and great on svc and speed of shipping. Lil Brown is another lilbrown.com

Lil Brown still sells tobacco cut for cigarettes but it's taxed accordingly ($25 per pound vs $2.15 for pipe tobacco), and he won't or can't ship the cig tobaccos to all states.

There are a number of vendors. Google is your friend - Trisha's Cafe is another - that is one of D&R's outlets - D&R is a fairly high quality tobacco mfgr or producer, and their stuff is a little pricer - but not that bad. For me, using their Windsail Platinum at $25 per 14 oz bag, means somewhere around $1.40 a pack, so i buy some it as well to break up the routine of my daily smoke (SS Mellow). Maybe 2 packs of SS mellow to one pack of Windsail Platinum. But it's not like there's a lot of taste difference - the windsail platinum is just a little smoother and easier to stuff - you'll also find some tobaccos, the way they're cut, will pack or stuff easier than others.

You might look at their menthol tobaccos - they are going to be quality and might be a good place to start - i know they sell 3.5 oz pouches but you need to read their descript and make sure it's menthol, not mint flavored (i'm not a menthol smoker so i haven't paid attention).

Last edited by Chief Smoker; 07-11-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:47 AM

lp04 is on a distinguished road

go to smokersoutletonline.com and get the smoking G MRD blend and some hot rod menthol tubes. I really like this combination and is pretty close to a marlboro menthol
Old 07-20-2012, 06:08 AM
NCJY

Originally Posted by Hellioness View Post
Hello everyone! I used to RMO smokes years ago and have recently decided to get back into it to save money. My question is, what tubes and tobacco would you recommend to get the closest possible taste to Marlboro Menthol or camel Menthol wides?'

Thanks for the help!
Any progress? Try anything yet?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:13 AM

ronsen will become famous soon enoughronsen will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NCJY View Post
Any progress? Try anything yet?
Another drive by it looks like posting same thing on several sites, but never a final reply.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:25 PM

A_Nony_Mouse is on a distinguished road
Default .

Originally Posted by Hellioness View Post

Thanks for the help!
The good news is you cannot match store bought brands. You can only do better. Us old timers who got into this find only pleasure in finding tobaccos that taste the way they did in the 50s before filters and before additives.

There was brand called Amico (from Ziggymart no longer sold) that was a dead ringer for the original Camels. I can't find anything like Amico now but I suggest if you like Camels today you might love a blend of Virginias with some Turkish. At least you will learn what it should taste like and go from there.

I ignore sellers' descriptions that say "tastes like" as it never matches what I remember. I go by the description of the tobaccos used in the blend. Identical descriptions will have different tastes for many reasons. Just try a few different descriptions to find what you prefer and then search within those descriptions for a best liked brand.