Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thinking about RYO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 PM

DougCasey is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking about RYO

Ok, so i am new to this site. I have given it thought before but i went to a new smokeshop in town to get more hooka tobacco and the guy told me his main thing is selling cigarette rolling machines and everything for them. Well i figured i would do a little research cause spending 20$for a carton sounds fantastic.

So first question, Is there any catch to RYO? I understand you gatta buy the machine, papers, and that stuff, but what else is needed?

I smoke marlboro reds, so do they give you the same feeling? I heard that you can get nicotine drops to put in it? is that true?

Do different papers make a difference?

What would be the best tobacco for me to get that tastes like reds?

A carton lasts me about a month, so is there a way i can keep them fresh?

Just answering a few will help me out. I just dont wanna go buy a $50-$150 machine just to feel ripped off..
Old 12-29-2011, 01:42 AM

dman20 will become famous soon enough

Well, I've been rolling my own for the past couple of months. The only catches I can think of are such: you won't always get perfect cigarettes. Some will be packed too tight, some too loose. Right now, I use a RYO Filling Station at a local smoke shop and can get a carton for about $32 where I live in Wisconsin. Compared to a brand name carton, that's a pretty substantial savings. Wisconsin has pretty high taxes on cigarettes. After I finish this batch that I have, I'm going to start making my own at home with a hand injector for the simple fact that I want more flexibility as well as more choice when it comes to tobacco. What I'm smoking right now currently tastes similar to a Marlboro Red. The brand is Royale and it's the bold variety. If you're looking for a Marlboro-like taste, I would recommend a bold blend, whatever brand of your choosing. I personally find that pipe tobacco better replicates the taste of a Marlboro than cigarette cut tobacco. Cigarette cut tobacco has a unique taste of it's own and is in my opinion of much better quality. I would however start with pipe tobacco. Again, specifically a bold blend. Another thing is that the tubes you use make a difference as well. The taste varies with the tubes as well. I personally use Zig Zag, but feel free to experiment. Also, rolling does take some practice, so don't be discouraged if your first cigarettes don't quite turn out. As with everything, practice makes perfect.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 AM

gatrman56 is on a distinguished road
Default Welcome to Doug & dman20

First off I want to Welcome you Doug Casey &
dman20 to our forum.....any way you choose to RYO
will be cheaper and tastier for you. I MMO with McClintock
blue cig.tobacco and mascotte wraps. the smokes run me
about $1.25/pack.. Ive also started bout 6 mos. ago growing
my own, I have some leaves drying now also. This should prove
to be interesting, it's some Virginia Gold , and I hope it tastes
as good as it looks....It's just some of the things ya'll can try.

Happy Rollin, gatrman56
Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 PM

McClintock is cigarette tobacco, correct? Where I live cigarette tobacco is pretty pricey and I don't know of any smoke shop around me that carries McClintock. I would love to try it though, especially considering I was a light smoker before I started rolling my own.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:37 PM

IHCman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dman20 View Post
McClintock is cigarette tobacco, correct? Where I live cigarette tobacco is pretty pricey and I don't know of any smoke shop around me that carries McClintock. I would love to try it though, especially considering I was a light smoker before I started rolling my own.
You can buy McClintock cigarette tobacco from Little Browns Smoke Shop online lilbrown.com. I just ordered some of it from them as I've never tried it either and want to.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:43 PM

IHCman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dman20 View Post
Well, I've been rolling my own for the past couple of months. The only catches I can think of are such: you won't always get perfect cigarettes. Some will be packed too tight, some too loose. Right now, I use a RYO Filling Station at a local smoke shop and can get a carton for about $32 where I live in Wisconsin. Compared to a brand name carton, that's a pretty substantial savings. Wisconsin has pretty high taxes on cigarettes. After I finish this batch that I have, I'm going to start making my own at home with a hand injector for the simple fact that I want more flexibility as well as more choice when it comes to tobacco. What I'm smoking right now currently tastes similar to a Marlboro Red. The brand is Royale and it's the bold variety. If you're looking for a Marlboro-like taste, I would recommend a bold blend, whatever brand of your choosing. I personally find that pipe tobacco better replicates the taste of a Marlboro than cigarette cut tobacco. Cigarette cut tobacco has a unique taste of it's own and is in my opinion of much better quality. I would however start with pipe tobacco. Again, specifically a bold blend. Another thing is that the tubes you use make a difference as well. The taste varies with the tubes as well. I personally use Zig Zag, but feel free to experiment. Also, rolling does take some practice, so don't be discouraged if your first cigarettes don't quite turn out. As with everything, practice makes perfect.
I agree with Dman. There is a learning curve to stuffing your own. The mistake I made at first was putting to much tobacco in my injector. By experimenting I found that I like a looser pack as I like lots of smoke. I feel that it does change the taste also by packing em tighter or looser. When i first started RYO i too was looking for a brand of rolling tobacco that tasted like a Marlboro. I've tried many brands but none are the same as a Marlboro to me. I have found brands like I really like and lots of brands there were complete crap. IMO cigarette cut tobacco, while being more expensive, tastes better and is just a better smoke than pipe tobacco. My advice though is to buy small amounts of different brands and blends of both cigarette and pipe tobacco to try them and find out what you like.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:35 PM

gatrman56 is on a distinguished road

Hey gang,
I guess everyone buys from LBSS...They ship
here to me in FL. good prices also,I buy the 3 oz.
cause to me it stays fresher longer cause you don't
have a big bag open..I put it in tobacco tins and
mason jars.To me the McClintock reminds me of
Marlboro,and smokes real GOOD!!But whatever you
try I hope you enjoy it.

gatrman56
Old 12-31-2011, 12:22 AM

I'll have to give that a try. I've been weary of ordering online due to the legal repercussions of it. Don't want to get any notices, and there is of course, the PACT Act. Looks like a neat site though.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 AM

DougCasey is on a distinguished road

So I bought a premiere cigarette maker, some of the tubes, and gambler tobacco, orange pouch.
Turned out pretty good!
Some of them came out horrible and i had to keep retrying, but i finally got thru my first bag, came out to about 175 cigs.
So as a beginner is there any tips or tricks? Most of them got ripped while stuffing the tobacco in them, and some have a gap between the filter and were the tobacco starts.
i guess i need to get a technique going :P