Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prepping the baccy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2020, 11:05 AM

Chelon is on a distinguished road
Default Prepping the baccy

I like to smoke Pueblo, either Classic or Blue. It is fairly consistent but as with most tobaccos there can be some twigs and dust.

It's not a major issue but does anyone process their tobacco before rolling? I'm imagining something akin to a hash grinder or similar, on a bigger scale? Is there an easy way of getting it chopped up?
Old 07-14-2020, 12:06 AM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

after grabbing a handful, i'll cut it with scissors then screen it to remove the dust or snuff

here's a link to a selection of screening options - i went with a plastic screen with .060" sized openings - wish i'd gone with something slightly smaller, opening wise

https://www.mcmaster.com/screens/cloth-mesh-and-perforated-sheets/
Old 07-14-2020, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
after grabbing a handful, i'll cut it with scissors then screen it to remove the dust or snuff

here's a link to a selection of screening options - i went with a plastic screen with .060" sized openings - wish i'd gone with something slightly smaller, opening wise

https://www.mcmaster.com/screens/cloth-mesh-and-perforated-sheets/
Is that with leaf tobacco or shop bought stuff? I'm thinking not so much of shredding the twigs but just to get it into a consistent mix for rolling, ie not so many clumps. Would putting it through the screen do this easily?
Old 07-14-2020, 07:10 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

screening will not help with twigs - the screen allows the dust to fall thru, leaving the shredded tobacco

when i'm stuffing for my wife and sister-in-law i basically dump the tobacco into a large rubbermaid style tub and loft it a bit while looking for twigs.

I don't spend a lot of time doing that as they'll show up when i grab some tobacco to put into the injector
Old 07-15-2020, 04:12 AM

When you put it through the screen how is it done, simple as holding it over a box or suchlike and just pushing the tobacco through it?

What mesh would be best for shop-bought tobacco like Pueblo? It's similar to most you can buy in shops but just has the occasional clump in it
Old 07-20-2020, 11:53 AM

the mesh i chose was .062" openings (1/16th of an inch) and that's a little large - i'll get some short straight strands, maybe 1/8" plus in length that were fine for stuffing

next screen i plan to go with .045" diameter openings and i went with the food grade plastic screen