Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quality auto rolling box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 03:22 PM

Chelon is on a distinguished road
Default Quality auto rolling box

Been using the cheap (10) automatic rolling boxes (Zig-Zag, Mascotte etc)

They work ok but after a while they tend to get a bit shaky and eventually expire; they're also a little inconsistent, sometimes delivering a tighter than needed cig.

Anyone know if there's a quality machine out there?
Old 07-01-2020, 03:54 PM

Boogeyman is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a plethora of machines available.You need to ask yourself a few questions first so people will know what to recomend.
(1)Cost,how much do you want to spend.
(2)How often and how cigarettes do you go through in a day.
(3)How fast of a machine would you like to have.
(4)Ease of use,how simple of a machine would you need for desired results.
The above questions would help give other members of the forum a better understanding of your needs and what would be direction to point you in.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Boogeyman View Post
There is a plethora of machines available.You need to ask yourself a few questions first so people will know what to recomend.
(1)Cost,how much do you want to spend.
(2)How often and how cigarettes do you go through in a day.
(3)How fast of a machine would you like to have.
(4)Ease of use,how simple of a machine would you need for desired results.
The above questions would help give other members of the forum a better understanding of your needs and what would be direction to point you in.
1. 50 or so but I would love to know about more expensive ones if there are any

2. Approx 5

3. Fast is good and it must be an auto rolling box type, not one of the stand alone rollers

4. Very easy would be good similar in principle to the ones I currently use but better quality.

One other minus point on my current one, the lid tends to work a little loose over time, letting air in and on occasion coming loose in the pocket ☺
Old 07-02-2020, 11:09 AM

I can tell you what I own and use and perhaps others will chime in.
I go through 30 to 40 cigs day and own 4 different machines.
The most expensive machine I own is the powermatic 3+.
This machine is the bees knees in my opinion and sells for about $250 these days the simplicity of use and consistancy is oustanding.This machine is used 98% of the time.The next would be the powermatic 2+.I used it for close to 2 years and it has worked flawlessly.It sells for around $70 dollars in the US.There was really no need for me to upgrade to the 3+ other than looking for a better mouse trap and had a few extra coins in my pocket.these first to machines are both electric.If you choose to go with an electric most definately stay clear of auger operated machines.I own two Manual machines one is the powermatic 150 and sells for some where around $45 the other is the mini powermatic.I have the manual machines because I live in a rural area and is prone to power outages.The 150 is a very good machine a tad smaller than the 1+ which I have not used.The fourth machine I own is the mini.One of the most recomended machines on this site would probably be mini powermatic which can be had for under $20 here in the states.For your limited rolling this is probably your best bet.
Youtubes can be found for all the listed machines so you can see how they operate.There are other brands that are very reliable also but I do not have any experience with them such as the Top-O-Matic.Hope this helps.
One quick couriosity question I have for you is,what is a pack of smokes going for in Ireland????

Last edited by Boogeyman; 07-02-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Boogeyman View Post
I can tell you what I own and use and perhaps others will chime in.
I go through 30 to 40 cigs day and own 4 different machines.
The most expensive machine I own is the powermatic 3+.
This machine is the bees knees in my opinion and sells for about $250 these days the simplicity of use and consistancy is oustanding.This machine is used 98% of the time.The next would be the powermatic 2+.I used it for close to 2 years and it has worked flawlessly.It sells for around $70 dollars in the US.There was really no need for me to upgrade to the 3+ other than looking for a better mouse trap and had a few extra coins in my pocket.these first to machines are both electric.If you choose to go with an electric most definately stay clear of auger operated machines.I own two Manual machines one is the powermatic 150 and sells for some where around $45 the other is the mini powermatic.I have the manual machines because I live in a rural area and is prone to power outages.The 150 is a very good machine a tad smaller than the 1+ which I have not used.The fourth machine I own is the mini.One of the most recomended machines on this site would probably be mini powermatic which can be had for under $20 here in the states.For your limited rolling this is probably your best bet.
Youtubes can be found for all the listed machines so you can see how they operate.There are other brands that are very reliable also but I do not have any experience with them such as the Top-O-Matic.Hope this helps.
One quick couriosity question I have for you is,what is a pack of smokes going for in Ireland????
Thanks that's an education, I didn't realise there were such high end machines..!

I'm a lighter smoker and prefer to make them up as I go, the box I have at moment is this one:-

https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/mascotte-automatic-rolling-5mm-6mm-filters

You put tobacco inside. Then it opens like a book and you insert filter and paper, close it and the cig pops out, it's a genius idea; but as I say a little low quality. There are various makes, Rizla, Zig zag etc but I've tried most of them and they are all similar. Just looking for something I can stick in my pocket and go.

Oh the smokes here, I don't smoke ready rolled but it's around 13-14 for 20 most places.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:46 PM

Despite the mini's small size it still would be a tad large for your pocket.There are small injectors that would fit in you pocket but the tubes would need to be protected also.Similar to the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/TOP-Top-Cigarette-Machine/dp/B00MNX3WHA/ref=zg_bs_10342498011_41?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refR ID=4KTJTXK9KQRSZYJ1KCCZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPzmaJCLLuk&feature=emb_logo

I must say the machine you are using is a very clever idea.I tried doing a search but could not find a high end roller in that style.Sorry I could not be more help to you.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:41 PM

larryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to alllarryccf is a name known to all

What boogeyman said about the powermatic 3+ and the Powermatic 2+ - the P2+ is probably the best bang for the buck machine out there. I've gone thru 3 of them, getting somewhere between 30,000 & 40,000 cigs out of each (i stuff for myself + wife unit + sister-in-law).

I only bought the P3+ as, same reason as boogeyman, I wanted a better mouse trap - and it is, definitely faster than the P2+ - i get about 240 sticks stuffed in about an hour - and consistent sticks. The P3+ though is more sensitive to tobacco that is too moist and you'll get stoppages, while the P2+ is much more tolerant of a wider range of tobacco moisture and tobacco cut.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:57 AM

If anyone's curious here is the auto box in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTVZNpEOlTU

I find it perfect for rolling on the go, I suspect there just isn't a top end one out there so will continue with the Mascotte for now. You can get replacement blinds for them as they can stretch but I find the mech gives up before that happens.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:29 AM

Chelon,It seems like you have found the machine that suits you best.I know a gal who likes to roll her own each time she smokes instead of rolling them at home.I think she enjoys the ritual.She uses the very simple two roller machine and caries a tobacco tub with her for her tobacco,filters and papers.The machine you use is very clever you can carry your tobacco,filters and papers in a very compact unit.
What sort of life expectancy are you getting out of these machines?????
You mentioned that you can buy replacement skirts but the mechanism usually wears out first.One rolling box I did run across was the Germanus which claims to be a little better made than the rest and using heavier metal for longer life.
Hope this helps.

https://www.german.us/en/rolling-machines/529-germanus-rollbox-premium-rolling-machine-box-for-cigarettes-4260348724686.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GERMANUS-Cigarette-Rolling-Machine-Premium/dp/B01M0DAJ2T

Last edited by Boogeyman; 07-07-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:06 AM

Thanks Boogeyman now that is interesting I'll order a Germanus. Thought I'd tried them all but this is new on me. Would actually prefer it to be more expensive, just thinking at that price can't be high quality but we'll see.

It is a ritual thing plus I think if you dampen the tobacco in the tin it's better, if you prerolled they might dry out.

I do get maybe a couple of years out of each tin, it's partly that but also on occasion it does either seize up or produce an inconsistent (either too tight or too slack/falls to pieces) roll. Overall as you say still very good though.